Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Japan
Reload this Page >

Kyoto area transportation ?

Kyoto area transportation ?

Old Jan 12, 2019, 9:12 am

Programs: UA, NW
You MAY see snow on Hiei-zan, but it's not guaranteed.
Old Jan 18, 2019, 10:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
Originally Posted by FlitBen
It would have been more affordable and convenient to get a 1-day JR Kansai Area Pass instead for JPY2300, which gains you unlimited access to the same and other LTD EXP and lesser trains in the region. But it isn't available at Higashimaizuru station.
Doesn't seem to cover Maizuru either.

https://www.westjr.co.jp/global/en/ticket/pass/kansai/
Old Jan 19, 2019, 4:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
I wrote the port authority's cruise department (used MS/Win Translator). Seems the ship is scheduled to dock at Wharf/Pier 2 which is north and a little bit west of Nishi-Maizuru. No shuttle busses scheduled.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 8:46 am

Originally Posted by tide
Why can't you just use PASMO in Kyoto? I can easily use my Suica in Kyoto, just as if I were in Tokyo (bus/trains/combini etc).

The tourist office also sells a one-day bus pass for 600 yen and a combined train/bus pass for 900 yen. Buses however are always crowded
PASMO and Suica are interchangeable in the Tokyo-Yokohama-Chiba metropolitan area, but originally, Suica was the JR-only card, and PASMO was the private railroad/subway-only card. I don't remember exactly when they became interchangeable, but their origins may have something to do with why a PASMO is not valid in Kyoto.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 11:20 am
tt7

Originally Posted by ksandness
PASMO and Suica are interchangeable in the Tokyo-Yokohama-Chiba metropolitan area, but originally, Suica was the JR-only card, and PASMO was the private railroad/subway-only card. I don't remember exactly when they became interchangeable, but their origins may have something to do with why a PASMO is not valid in Kyoto.
A PASMO is valid in Kyoto (and just about everywhere else). All of the Japanese IC cards (Suica, PASMO, ICOCA, etc.) are interchangeable and have been since about 2013. However, if you want to load a virtual IC card in Apple Wallet (and top it up via Apple Pay) it has to be a Suica as none of the other variants is currently supported.
Old Jan 23, 2019, 8:15 am

Originally Posted by tt7

A PASMO is valid in Kyoto (and just about everywhere else). All of the Japanese IC cards (Suica, PASMO, ICOCA, etc.) are interchangeable and have been since about 2013. However, if you want to load a virtual IC card in Apple Wallet (and top it up via Apple Pay) it has to be a Suica as none of the other variants is currently supported.
Hmm, when I was attending a conference in Osaka this past summer, someone at the first station I used said that my Suica would NOT be valid in Osaka. I guess I bought a lot of single tickets for nothing.
Old Jan 23, 2019, 8:42 am

Programs: American Express got a hit man lookin' for me

Larger version: https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/F...nection_en.svg
Old Jan 23, 2019, 10:04 am

Programs: Tokyo Monorail Diamond-Encrusted-Platinum
Originally Posted by joejones
That is such a busy graphic! I don't fully understand the blue / red / yellow arrows, but I get that it's telling me that a PASMO purchased Tokyo will work in most places.
Looks like that there are a few transit companies in Okinawa, Iwasaki, Kagoshima, Toyama, Utsunomiya, Asahikawa, and Hokkaido whose systems don't yet interoperate with the major IC cards.
Old Jan 23, 2019, 12:14 pm

Programs: American Express got a hit man lookin' for me
Originally Posted by jib71
That is such a busy graphic!
Welcome to Japan...
Old Jan 23, 2019, 5:13 pm
tt7

Originally Posted by jib71
Looks like that there are a few transit companies in Okinawa, Iwasaki, Kagoshima, Toyama, Utsunomiya, Asahikawa, and Hokkaido whose systems don't yet interoperate with the major IC cards.
Yes indeed. Hiroshima used to be one of them but that changed last year (too late for our 2017 visit, where we had to pay cash on the trams). Toyama (bottom right on the graphic) is another one that caught us out in October 2018.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.