Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Japan
Reload this Page >

CNN lists Fukuoka as a place to visit in 2019

Old Jan 2, 19, 11:06 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA PtPro (1 MM); Hilton Diamond; Hertz President Cr; DL SkyMiles; UA MileagePlus

CNN Travel's 19 Places to Visit in 2019

Fukuoka was listed as one of the place to visit in 2019. Such mention in media has surprising effect on tourism. I have seen here on FT when somebody post asking about certain location and wondered why this person is interested in such location and later find out the location was mentioned in the media. I think it is entirely possible that Fukuoka will see increase of foreign visitor this year because of mention on media like this. I read that Takayama is one of those places successfully captured foreign visitors by have it mentioned in media, where before that Takayama was pretty much unknown to non-Japanese.
Old Jan 2, 19, 3:52 pm

Programs: AS MVP Au, UA Ag, HH Dia, Marriott safety glasses, IHG, Nexus, *$ Au
Interesting. When I went there a year ago, it seemed like most tourists were from China or Korea, with more signage/announcements in mandarin & 中文 on staff badges than Kansai or Tokyo areas.
Old Jan 2, 19, 3:53 pm

Programs: AMEX AC CX UA AA DL
That's why when walking around Takayama old town it feels like I am in Singapore or HK airport, with like 50% non Asians (or 75% tourists)

Fukuoka is a much larger city so it won't be as noticeable, but the lack of hotel accommodation on weekends or concert nights would become a bigger problem.
Old Jan 7, 19, 6:50 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Air Miles
Originally Posted by AlwaysAisle View Post
CNN Travel's 19 Places to Visit in 2019

Fukuoka was listed as one of the place to visit in 2019. Such mention in media has surprising effect on tourism. I have seen here on FT when somebody post asking about certain location and wondered why this person is interested in such location and later find out the location was mentioned in the media. I think it is entirely possible that Fukuoka will see increase of foreign visitor this year because of mention on media like this. I read that Takayama is one of those places successfully captured foreign visitors by have it mentioned in media, where before that Takayama was pretty much unknown to non-Japanese.
Takayama is a nice place. Been there 3 times. Maybe it has something to do with Shirakawago being given UNESCO status? Not sure. But I read about Takayama in my 2004 Frommers book and made the first visit there around 2006? Nice respite from the big cities. I think at the time, there wasn't even any McD or Starbucks or 7/11 there. When I went there last in 2015, the station was being expanded and yeah, lots of tourists. The minshuku and ryokan there serves great kaiseki dinners for a fraction those in Kyoto would charge and the rooms are a lot more spacious. I enjoy the Hida beef and Hoba Miso. Fukuoka though, I still have no intentions to go there, although I have been to Ibusuki/Kagoshima and Kumamoto when in Kyushu,And I still have no intentions to go there when I visit again in March of this year.
Old Jan 7, 19, 7:17 am

Originally Posted by rustykettel View Post
Interesting. When I went there a year ago, it seemed like most tourists were from China or Korea, with more signage/announcements in mandarin & 中文 on staff badges than Kansai or Tokyo areas.
After all, FUK is only a 1.5 hour flight from Shanghai, and even closer from Seoul.
Old Jan 7, 19, 9:38 am

Programs: UA, NW
And it is the Japanese port from which both the conventional ferries and the hydrofoil leave for Busan. Similarly, I saw service personnel in Busan, including some at the ferry terminal and my hotel, wearing badges that indicated that they spoke Japanese, which spared me from having to stretch my very limited knowledge of Korean.
Old Jan 9, 19, 8:33 am

I love Fukuoka! It's like a baby Osaka and totally manageable if you have a short stay in Japan.
Old Jan 9, 19, 7:46 pm
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge 2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: TG*G, Mar LTBT, Hyatt Glb, AA PLT-LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
Welcome to FlyerTalk, lishsays!"
Old Jan 16, 19, 11:03 am

Oh, and all the delicious food in Fukuoka too!
Old Jan 22, 19, 7:57 pm

Pretty happy we did Fukuoka in 2018. It was initially only slightly on the radar for us as we were looking for a different place to explore in Japan. But we each had a couple of friends that had been and highly recommended it and exploring Kyushu in general. We enjoyed it enough to want to eventually go back for another visit and explore some more. It's always a battle between repeating places vs trying somewhere new.

I like these travel lists if just to jot ideas down even though we won't necessarily go that specific year.
Old Jan 23, 19, 6:33 pm

Location: The place where it gets so hot in the summer some planes can't take off.
Programs: Marriott LT Titanium, WoH Globalist, National EE, United Platinum
I had no plans on visiting Fukuoka on my first Japan trip, I planned to go as far west as Hiroshima and that's it. Ended up realizing the fall sumo tournament was there so I jumped on a train and am very glad I did. I made some friends, and got to go drinking with one of the wrestlers who happened to be buddies with some people I met. Great food, great time. Will have to go back sometime...maybe when I decide to visit Nagasaki.
Old Jan 28, 19, 4:07 am

That's true, when a place is mentioned in media (including news and of course movies) it seems that tourism increases in the area. I have to say that on my last trip to Japan I truly enjoyed Fukoka but maybe now it will be so crowded.
Old Feb 14, 19, 8:09 am

Programs: BR, UA 1k, CX
Originally Posted by SofiaSanz View Post
That's true, when a place is mentioned in media (including news and of course movies) it seems that tourism increases in the area. I have to say that on my last trip to Japan I truly enjoyed Fukoka but maybe now it will be so crowded.
Yes, one of the things I like are fewer are fewer tourists, and CNN list may mean more!
Old Feb 15, 19, 8:55 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA PtPro (1 MM); Hilton Diamond; Hertz President Cr; DL SkyMiles; UA MileagePlus
Originally Posted by rustykettel View Post
Historically Fukuoka and rest of Kyushu area had visitors from China and South Korea, remember visiting Kyushu and often came across Korean Hangul writing. At this moment FUK is served by flights from Far East countries, but from Europe summer only flight by AY and from the U.S. DL from HNL and UA from GUM where HNL and GUM flights are filled with Japanese tourists rather than people form the U.S. visiting Fukuoka. In the past FUK was served by AF, BA, DL (from PDX), KL, NZ, and QF but did not last long.

My guess is Fukuoka is trying to attract more visitors from such places as Europe and the U.S., possible that Fukuoka's project is to increase visitors from non Far East countries.

Last edited by AlwaysAisle; Feb 15, 19 at 9:10 am
Old Feb 15, 19, 1:37 pm

Programs: AA PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlatAmb, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Radisson Gold
It seems as if Fukuoka has always had good Asian coverage - whenever I visited various places in Asia, I noticed flights to Fukuoka from the respective airports. Visited a couple of years ago and had a nice time. Also really like the fact that the airport is so convenient to town - quite a contrast on that same trip when arriving at Hiroshima on a delayed evening flight with the long bus ride into town.