Wiki Posts
Search

New 1000JPY departure tax starts Jan 7

Search this Thread

Old Jan 1, 2019, 10:15 pm
Original Poster

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
New 1000JPY departure tax starts Jan 7

Japan will start collecting from next Monday a departure tax of ¥1,000 for each person leaving the country by aircraft or ship regardless of nationality.
Old Jan 1, 2019, 11:15 pm

Programs: Former UA Premex, now dirt
I certainly hope it will be included in the ticket cost. I remember well having to scrounge up the departure toll at KIX when it had to be paid in cash and was collected after we passed the last cash exchange point.
Old Jan 2, 2019, 12:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

“Those with tickets purchased and issued before Monday will be basically exempted from the tax.”

Suggests that the new tax will be included in the ticket price.

That’s welcome for the three of us. At least this time...
Old Jan 11, 2019, 7:35 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Exit fee/tax? (sayonara tax starting again)

The USA print weekend edition of USA Today (January 11, 2019) has a short article on their travel page in the Life section saying that Japan is imposing a 1,000 yen (currently about US$9) sayonara tax on visitors departing by plane or cruise ship, with some exceptions identified (infants, crew, transit under 24 hours, flight diversions, military, diplomats). The tax is to be paid prior to boarding starting "this week."

Does anyone know details? When does this start? Is it to be included in ticket prices and if so, are previously issued tickets exempt? The article refuser to tourists, which suggests that business travelers might be exempt, but how does one prove that then purpose of the trip is business, assuming that a business visa isn't required?

This is reminding me of the situation at Japanese airports in the 1990s when there was a small amount to be paid before proceeding to passport control. It caused huge lines and was a big problem for people who didn't expect the tax (required to be paid in cash in yen and IIRC there were machines that issued a little paper receipt that was collected at passport control) and didn't have Japanese currency in the correct denomination. At that time, going to a landside airport lounge required payment of the tax/fee too, even in the period when the departure fee started to be included in ticket prices.
Old Jan 11, 2019, 12:40 pm

Collection and payment by carriers - Airlines and cruise lines shall collect tax from their passengers and make payment

source: https://www.nta.go.jp/english/taxes/..._knowledge.htm
Old Jan 12, 2019, 7:29 pm

Thanks for the update
Old Jan 13, 2019, 10:19 am

"This fee...will be collected as part of the ticket cost, so you won’t have to queue to pay this, but rather you’ll likely just see the cost of tickets increased"

source: https://onemileatatime.com/japan-add...departure-tax/
Old Jan 13, 2019, 4:24 pm

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by muji
"This fee...will be collected as part of the ticket cost, so you won’t have to queue to pay this, but rather you’ll likely just see the cost of tickets increased"

source: https://onemileatatime.com/japan-add...departure-tax/

Thanks!
Old Jan 13, 2019, 5:15 pm

I just now made a date change for an award flight to Japan which will be in August.
An extra $9.20USD (equaling 1,000 yen) was charged, so this seems to be an example of an airline collecting the fee.
LapLap likes this.
Old Jan 13, 2019, 10:02 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
HMMMM....I don't see the tax on my ticket receipt, but there is a $9.30 "Afghanistan security fee" listed on my receipt and I'm not going anywhere near Afghanistan. Maybe this reflects DL's IT limits.
LapLap likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.