Cherry Blossom 2019

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cherry Blossom 2019

Search this Thread

Old Jan 27, 2019, 4:22 pm

Programs: Delta
Frankly, I wouldn't fully trust a forecast until early to mid-March. I think that it can swing by a week or so, depending on how warm/cold March turns out to be.
LapLap likes this.
Old Jan 27, 2019, 4:24 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by nishimark
Frankly, I wouldn't fully trust a forecast until early to mid-March. I think that it can swing by a week or so, depending on how warm/cold March turns out to be.
Very inconvenient for trying to make plans.
Old Jan 27, 2019, 4:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kapooncha
Well it was previously 4/2 and now it's shifted a day later. Which makes sense as temperatures are quite cold right now.
it’s late in London, and to be honest I find keeping track of what way round people are writing DD/MM or MM/DD on an international forum extremely confusing at the best of times.
Would really appreciate seeing the name or abbreviations MAR or APR (lower case fine too). Makes it much easier to glance at and keep a track of any date creeping.
MichaelJapan likes this.
Old Jan 27, 2019, 4:40 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LapLap
it’s late in London, and to be honest I find keeping track of what way round people are writing DD/MM or MM/DD on an international forum extremely confusing at the best of times.
Would really appreciate seeing the name or abbreviations MAR or APR (lower case fine too). Makes it much easier to glance at and keep a track of any date creeping.
I hear you. Though I was just using the same format as the forecast image. 4/2 = Apr 2
Old Jan 28, 2019, 1:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I hear you. Though I was just using the same format as the forecast image. 4/2 = Apr 2
Yes, one does have to be a goop to mistake 4/3 for 3/4 in the context of something that will happen at the end of March or at the beginning of April, but I managed to do it incredibly easily. Unconscious habits can be hard to suppress.
Old Jan 28, 2019, 1:16 am

Programs: Delta
Very inconvenient for trying to make plans.
Like predicting a sunny day in Seattle.
Old Jan 28, 2019, 4:12 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
A slightly updated map plus first bloom and full bloom dates in various places.

https://sakura.weathermap.jp/en.php
Attached Images  
Old Jan 28, 2019, 9:30 am

How long after full bloom do the Cherry Blossoms last? I will be in Sapporo on May 9th and 10th and according to the above link full bloom there is on May 3rd.
Old Jan 28, 2019, 12:35 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by IndyHoosier
How long after full bloom do the Cherry Blossoms last? I will be in Sapporo on May 9th and 10th and according to the above link full bloom there is on May 3rd.
I've asked this before and there are no firm answers. From my understanding, I think roughly 5-7 days but that depends on the weather. A big rain storm could drastically reduce it.
Old Jan 28, 2019, 12:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by IndyHoosier
The answers already provided in this thread are almost all about the Yoshino cherry tree.
Whilst Hakodate is also famous for them, Sapporo is a bit different as the Ezo variety is a bigger deal up there (and the CERI kind is also celebrated).
I don’t have any experience with either and do not know if the advice for the Kyoto and Tokyo Yoshino trees is of any use in Sapporo.
Old Jan 28, 2019, 12:59 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

I'm actually wondering if I should flip my dates. I currently have my Tokyo dates from April 10-15. Disney Tokyo from Apr 7-9. And Kyoto from Mar 25 - Apr 6.

I'm thinking about making Tokyo from Mar 29 - Apr 2, then Kyoto for 5/6 nights, then Disney.

Am I overthinking this?
Old Jan 28, 2019, 1:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yes. .
Old Jan 28, 2019, 1:22 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Lol ok. I was thinking I could get cherry blossoms in both Kyoto and Tokyo if I flipped.

Last edited by kapooncha; Jan 28, 2019 at 1:35 pm
Old Jan 28, 2019, 2:48 pm
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
I'm thinking about making Tokyo from Mar 29 - Apr 2, then Kyoto for 5/6 nights, then Disney.
Lol ok. I was thinking I could get cherry blossoms in both Kyoto and Tokyo if I flipped.
You have a better chance of getting cherry blossoms in both Tokyo and Kyoto if you flipped.
Old Jan 28, 2019, 2:51 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by NewbieRunner
You have a better chance of getting cherry blossoms in both Tokyo and Kyoto if you flipped.
That's what I'm thinking. My current schedule is convenient but I could get more cherry blossoms if I switched.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.