Wiki Posts
Search

My 10-Day Japan Itinerary - Feedback?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 22, 2018, 5:42 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by basscadet75
Here's the best analogy I can think of for an American:

Kyoto = Washington, DC (minus the current government stuff, but with all the history)
Osaka = Philadelphia
Tokyo = New York City

Interesting! That is an analogy that I get. Thank you.
Old Dec 22, 2018, 7:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jaybett4
I have planned a 10 day trip to Japan. The outline of my trip is as follows:[list][*]I will be their during Cherry Blossom season in 2019 (hopefully)
April 5th thru April 15th
Whether you decide to stay within only the Tokyo area (Kantō) or the Kyoto/Osaka area (Kansai) or both, unless you pencil in a contingency plan to go (hiking perhaps) outside of these areas, there is a very strong chance that you will not be experiencing the cherry blossom season.

It is entirely possible that you will be lucky with your current plans. But I’d say there is a greater chance that you will not. Rather than hoping, I’d suggest you look at day trips that you can take in order to see Sakura. What those day trips would be depends on where you decide to go. From Tokyo, Matsumoto might be an option.
Can be done, and by avoiding March you will have traded a greater certainty of cherry blossom within the areas you are most interested in for less crowds. Not a bad choice - particularly as it won’t take too long to get somewhere where the blooms are - weather should be warmer too!
Old Dec 23, 2018, 10:27 am

Ya if u stay at Osaka, u can do daytrips to Kyoto and Nara.
Both are close by.

Kyoto is more of a traditional old Japan and nature type place as opposed to a modern style Tokyo/Osaka.
The nightscene at the Gion area in Kyoto is very nice and quite different from Osaka's nightscene.
Highly recommend walking around and staying for a nice dinner at Kyoto,

Yes, I am seeing that from the responses here. The Kyoto hotels are more expensive and I am trying to use points as much as possible to keep this trip affordable. Kyoto does not have a Hilton (Hilton is where I have most of my points currently). I was thinking of possibly doing two day trips to Kyoto or one to Kyoto and one to Nara. Is that unreasonable?

Thank you for the input.
Old Dec 23, 2018, 11:55 am
tt7

Do you think it is too much to go to Kyoto twice for the day? Google maps indicates that it is an hour train ride each way. Would you say that is accurate?
With a JR Pass, you can take any Hikari Shinkansen for the 14 minute ride from Shin-Osaka. Note that Shin-Osaka, where the Shinkansen stops, is not the same as Osaka - it’s about a 4 minute ride on a local train north of Osaka Station. With a JR Pass, I wouldn’t bother getting a seat reservation, just find a seat in the unreserved cars. Even if they’re full and you have to stand, it’s only 14 minutes.
Old Dec 23, 2018, 12:02 pm
tt7

Originally Posted by basscadet75
Here's the best analogy I can think of for an American:

Kyoto = Washington, DC (minus the current government stuff, but with all the history)
Osaka = Philadelphia
Tokyo = New York City
Philadelphia is way more interesting than that .... Osaka = Pittsburgh.
Old Dec 24, 2018, 6:28 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LapLap
Whether you decide to stay within only the Tokyo area (Kantō) or the Kyoto/Osaka area (Kansai) or both, unless you pencil in a contingency plan to go (hiking perhaps) outside of these areas, there is a very strong chance that you will not be experiencing the cherry blossom season.

It is entirely possible that you will be lucky with your current plans. But I’d say there is a greater chance that you will not. Rather than hoping, I’d suggest you look at day trips that you can take in order to see Sakura. What those day trips would be depends on where you decide to go. From Tokyo, Matsumoto might be an option.
Can be done, and by avoiding March you will have traded a greater certainty of cherry blossom within the areas you are most interested in for less crowds. Not a bad choice - particularly as it won’t take too long to get somewhere where the blooms are - weather should be warmer too!
After reading this, I looked into the proposed schedule for this year. I will monitor it as I get closer to my trip dates and my plans become more focused. Thank you for the input. I did not realize there was such a precise schedule based on the different areas of Japan.
Old Dec 24, 2018, 6:30 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by HawaiiO
Ya if u stay at Osaka, u can do daytrips to Kyoto and Nara.
Both are close by.

Kyoto is more of a traditional old Japan and nature type place as opposed to a modern style Tokyo/Osaka.
The nightscene at the Gion area in Kyoto is very nice and quite different from Osaka's nightscene.
Highly recommend walking around and staying for a nice dinner at Kyoto,
I hope to be able to have a nice dinner in Kyoto. I am more and more interested in Kyoto the more I read and see about it. Thank you!
Old Dec 24, 2018, 6:46 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tt7

With a JR Pass, you can take any Hikari Shinkansen for the 14 minute ride from Shin-Osaka. Note that Shin-Osaka, where the Shinkansen stops, is not the same as Osaka - it’s about a 4 minute ride on a local train north of Osaka Station. With a JR Pass, I wouldn’t bother getting a seat reservation, just find a seat in the unreserved cars. Even if they’re full and you have to stand, it’s only 14 minutes.
oh, wow! I did not realize that the Shinkansen only took 14 minutes. That’s great. Thank you. I see the train station you are referring to. It is a short train ride from where I will be staying.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.