Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Japan
Reload this Page >

Itinerary for Senior First timers in Japan

Itinerary for Senior First timers in Japan

Old Dec 12, 2018, 1:12 am

Originally Posted by fandi
Will things less crowded or better organized if I pick a hotel within walking distance of Shinjuku station?
Shinjuku station is massive and crowded and can be somewhat overwhelming. But I still think it's better than Ikebukuro Station in terms of getting around by wheelchair and as far as flow of people being less chaotic. Shinjuku is certainly not the most expensive hotel district in Tokyo, but more expensive than places like Shinagawa and Ueno.

What's your hotel budget?
I'd encourage you to consider what's been advised: find a place with easy station access; get a decent hotel with enough space; be willing to take taxi at times.
Getting a hotel with spacious (>25m2) room within a few minutes' walk of a convenient train station would be ideal. For that, though, you may need to spend more than you'd like. But if you can afford it, I think it'll make the trip a whole lot better for your folks.
Old Dec 12, 2018, 12:06 pm

Originally Posted by LapLap
Shinjuku is the most crowded station in Tokyo and Ikebukuro the second most crowded.
Only thing is that Shinjuku is considerably larger than Ikebukuro. This dilutes the intensity of the crowds a little, but it does create its own problems as it is notoriously difficult to find ones way around this mega station.

My husband reminded me that although Shinagawa Station is one of the easiest to navigate, the walk up to the Grand Prince Takanawa Hotels and the Marriott Sakura Tower does involve a climb up a moderately steep hill. (It’s a completely flat walk towards the IC Strings on the Konan side of the station). Shinagawa is a bit hillier than Shinjuku, so there is that downside.
Taxis are particularly easy to get at Shinagawa Station though, so this problem can be disappeared for under 800yen. Walk towards the station is all downhill.
All of the Prince Hotels in the Shinagawa area (Shinagawa Prince, Grand Prince Takanawa, New Takanawa and Prince Sakura) share a free shuttle bus service that loops through all the hotels with a stop at the JR Shinagawa Station.

Last edited by hanajiro; Dec 12, 2018 at 12:13 pm
Old Dec 12, 2018, 12:58 pm

Programs: Free agent!
Originally Posted by hanajiro
All of the Prince Hotels in the Shinagawa area (Shinagawa Prince, Grand Prince Takanawa, New Takanawa and Prince Sakura) share a free shuttle bus service that loops through all the hotels with a stop at the JR Shinagawa Station.
As someone who has a wheelchair bound sister, I would advise OP to check with the hotels to see if the shuttle bus is wheelchair/handicapped accessible if they plan on utilising this service. We had a recent stay at a hotel in Hong Kong that offered something similar but my sister couldn't use it as the bus was not wheelchair accessible, nor did it have somewhere for the foldable wheelchair to be stashed.
LapLap likes this.
Old Dec 12, 2018, 1:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by hanajiro

Here’s the schedule
http://www2.princehotels.co.jp/takan..._timetable.pdf
Am not sure if it’s a service other wheelchair users can use, but as the OP’s mother’s chair can be folded it might be fine, but as Kevin Crumbs says, best to check (I used a fold up wheelchair for the Sheraton Miyako which has a shuttle to and from Meguro, had some mobility and could just manage the steps and there was room for the folded chair resting on a passenger seat) But as I said, a taxi will be inexpensive. Despite having stayed at the the Grand Prince Hotels quite a few times, I can’t remember taking the shuttle. The walk is not long at all.

The actual Shinagawa Prince Hotel is the only hotel I’m not recommending. Rooms are much smaller and more like a typical business hotel. Have never stayed at the Shinagawa Prince as I’ve always found better deals elsewhere.
Old Dec 12, 2018, 6:01 pm
Original Poster

Shinjuku is the most crowded station in Tokyo and Ikebukuro the second most crowded.
Only thing is that Shinjuku is considerably larger than Ikebukuro. This dilutes the intensity of the crowds a little, but it does create its own problems as it is notoriously difficult to find ones way around this mega station.

My husband reminded me that although Shinagawa Station is one of the easiest to navigate, the walk up to the Grand Prince Takanawa Hotels and the Marriott Sakura Tower does involve a climb up a moderately steep hill. (It’s a completely flat walk towards the IC Strings on the Konan side of the station). Shinagawa is a bit hillier than Shinjuku, so there is that downside.
Taxis are particularly easy to get at Shinagawa Station though, so this problem can be disappeared for under 800yen. Walk towards the station is all downhill.
Thanks for the info. My co-worker said he's been at Ikebukuro station before. He said as long as I avoid the rush hours in the morning 6-9am and afternoon (4-7pm) then I should be fine. The problem is lots of time we don't know what time we go back to the hotel. Anyway, I'll try to book the hotels again.
Old Dec 12, 2018, 6:03 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by evergrn
Shinjuku station is massive and crowded and can be somewhat overwhelming. But I still think it's better than Ikebukuro Station in terms of getting around by wheelchair and as far as flow of people being less chaotic. Shinjuku is certainly not the most expensive hotel district in Tokyo, but more expensive than places like Shinagawa and Ueno.

What's your hotel budget?
I'd encourage you to consider what's been advised: find a place with easy station access; get a decent hotel with enough space; be willing to take taxi at times.
Getting a hotel with spacious (>25m2) room within a few minutes' walk of a convenient train station would be ideal. For that, though, you may need to spend more than you'd like. But if you can afford it, I think it'll make the trip a whole lot better for your folks.
I don't have much but if it means less work for my parents, I don't mind to spend more.
Old Dec 12, 2018, 6:53 pm

Programs: AA EXPlat, 2.4MM; HHonors Diamond
Beautiful pictures. The compliment from a photography guy (I'm there just for photography) You meant Fushimi-Inari Shrine? The reason I take Tokyo-Kyoto-Tokyo is to travel against the cherry blossom path so if we miss one place, we can go back and catch it. I could book Hotel Granvia because its convenient location but not sure how loud the place is. What can JR passes benefit us in this case? Should we buy 1 week JR pass and then buy metro passes for the remaining 2 days? I know JR passes can't be used on Tokyo lines or Toei lines. Thanks.
Also will I get foreign transaction fees if I use a regular credit card to book for the rooms via US sites such as Booking.com/Priceline?
Granvia is ABOVE and separate from the station. No louder than other hotels.
fandi likes this.
Old Dec 12, 2018, 10:29 pm
Original Poster

I think Ueno station would be ideal. It's near Tokyo station, and the places we'll go see in Tokyo. The only thing is I don't know how much hotels would cost.
Old Dec 12, 2018, 11:23 pm

Thanks for the info. My co-worker said he's been at Ikebukuro station before. He said as long as I avoid the rush hours in the morning 6-9am and afternoon (4-7pm) then I should be fine. The problem is lots of time we don't know what time we go back to the hotel. Anyway, I'll try to book the hotels again.
I think Ueno station would be ideal. It's near Tokyo station, and the places we'll go see in Tokyo. The only thing is I don't know how much hotels would cost.
I guess your new hotel (Sakura Hotel Ikebukuro) is on the west exit side of Ikebukuro. Although I prefer the east exit side in terms of hanging out and so forth, I will say entering Ikebukuro Station from the west side is more straightforward if you can't use stairs. Having said that, Ikebukuro Station is busy all day long. It's certainly going to be extremely busy even after 7pm.

Not sure when you're going, but you mentioned cherry blossom so I presume you're talking late March ~ early April. I think the challenges for you will be: a).you're going at time of year when room rates/availability don't work in your favour; b).you're looking for a room for 3 adults, which really limits your options.

In terms of decent but reasonably-priced places that are known to accommodate 3 people, I would suggest looking up:
- Any of the Richmond Hotels chain.
- Any of the Hotel Mets chain.
- Hotel Levant Tobu.

Sakura Hotel seems like another hostal type establishment. You haven't told us your budget yet. Can you afford 15,000~18,000yen per night? Because that's about how much it'll probably be per night for 3 adults at any of the above hotels. $ is a very personal matter, I realize. So I don't want you to feel defensive. But in all sincerity, I just don't think most people in their 60's~70's would feel at home staying in a hostal type place filled with young budget travellers, not to mention lack of space.
LapLap and fandi like this.
Old Dec 13, 2018, 6:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

fandi, what I have seen over the years is that the budget hotels and hostals (such as the Sakura) require that you book them months in advance and they book up completely in peak periods. The prices tend to be constant.
On the other hand, more upscale hotels will only show what are effectively rack rates this far in advance. Very often, usually three or two months before, those upscale hotels will release deals with their internet partners and you then find much more economic options on booking sites. I haven’t really ever paid more than 13,000yen for a double (two people) room in Tokyo. I’m not against hostals, but jet lag manifests itself in forcing me to go to the toilet during the night even more than usual. I really appreciate ensuite bathrooms.

By all means make a refundable booking, but you may want to wait at least until January or February before you completely lock yourself in to an itinerary. Am happy to help if you want to share your dates and budget.
fandi likes this.
Old Dec 14, 2018, 8:52 pm

Programs: UA, NW
Also, Ikebukuro Station is one of the more chaotic stations in Tokyo. Its layout leaves a lot to be desired, and it leads to people walking in all sorts of directions in the concourse. It's so common for people to bump into one another that they don't bother apologizing when it happens. From many places, the most feasible way to get down to the basement concourse without stairs is to actually enter the department store and take its escalator. That's confusing if you're not familiar with the station. Shinjuku Station gets much more traffic, but Ikebukuro Station is definitely more chaotic and probably more difficult for handicapped people.

If you're trying to save money, perhaps compromise on the location a bit by going a bit further out (like Kawasaki). But I wouldn't compromise on the ease of access to a train station or, to an extent, the quality of accommodation.
I agree with the assessment of Ikebukuro Station. I'm an Old Japan Hand (lived there in the 1970s, speak the language well enough to use it professionally, and have been back many times since), and I found Ikebukuro Station to be confusing. I'm sensitive to places with stairs, since my knees are not in the greatest shape, and I seem to remember that Ikebukuro had some places where stairs were unavoidable.
Old Dec 23, 2018, 1:14 pm
Original Poster

I guess your new hotel (Sakura Hotel Ikebukuro) is on the west exit side of Ikebukuro. Although I prefer the east exit side in terms of hanging out and so forth, I will say entering Ikebukuro Station from the west side is more straightforward if you can't use stairs. Having said that, Ikebukuro Station is busy all day long. It's certainly going to be extremely busy even after 7pm.

Not sure when you're going, but you mentioned cherry blossom so I presume you're talking late March ~ early April. I think the challenges for you will be: a).you're going at time of year when room rates/availability don't work in your favour; b).you're looking for a room for 3 adults, which really limits your options.

In terms of decent but reasonably-priced places that are known to accommodate 3 people, I would suggest looking up:
- Any of the Richmond Hotels chain.
- Any of the Hotel Mets chain.
- Hotel Levant Tobu.

Sakura Hotel seems like another hostal type establishment. You haven't told us your budget yet. Can you afford 15,000~18,000yen per night? Because that's about how much it'll probably be per night for 3 adults at any of the above hotels. $ is a very personal matter, I realize. So I don't want you to feel defensive. But in all sincerity, I just don't think most people in their 60's~70's would feel at home staying in a hostal type place filled with young budget travellers, not to mention lack of space.
I'll try to see if the prices of the hotels are comparable with the one I booked (when I locked the rate, Sakura hotel was 43,300 yen for 3 people for 3 nights). But first of all, please tell me which station you think more user friendly (doesn't have to be handicapped friendly as my mom could walk and fold the wheelchair). Then I'll try to book the hotels in walking distance of the station. And I'll try to look for the recommended hotels mentioned above.
Old Dec 23, 2018, 1:37 pm
Original Poster

fandi, what I have seen over the years is that the budget hotels and hostals (such as the Sakura) require that you book them months in advance and they book up completely in peak periods. The prices tend to be constant.
On the other hand, more upscale hotels will only show what are effectively rack rates this far in advance. Very often, usually three or two months before, those upscale hotels will release deals with their internet partners and you then find much more economic options on booking sites. I haven’t really ever paid more than 13,000yen for a double (two people) room in Tokyo. I’m not against hostals, but jet lag manifests itself in forcing me to go to the toilet during the night even more than usual. I really appreciate ensuite bathrooms.

By all means make a refundable booking, but you may want to wait at least until January or February before you completely lock yourself in to an itinerary. Am happy to help if you want to share your dates and budget.
Laplap, better rates in Jan/Feb is new information for me. It's counter-intuitive but I'll anxiously take that. Now I learn that picking a good station comes first (which I don't know yet) then a good hotels comes second. Per the attached map below, which station is kinda easier to maneuver than others (we plan to go to Cool Tokyo/Ginza/Asakusa/Skytree but we're flexible in terms of attraction destinations). Thanks.

Old Dec 23, 2018, 2:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Fandi
Don’t worry too much about the station. I chimed in about Ikebukuro because it was one of the few stations I still have bad memories of using when I was in a wheelchair.
Only other places that, from experience, I would suggest avoiding as a base are
Daikanyama - HUGE gap between the trains and the platform there due to a large curve
Shimbashi Station - one of the few on the Yamanote line with no elevator access. To get to street level you need to rely on a whole elevator to be cleared so that a platform can be created
This is me at Komagome station where the same system was in place.
Attached Images  
fandi likes this.
Old Dec 23, 2018, 8:51 pm
Original Poster

These are JR lines. Not sure how busy it is for private lines.
Ikebukuro rush hours:
Shinjuku rush hours:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.