Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Japan
Reload this Page >

Tokyo Banana KitKat

Tokyo Banana KitKat

Old Nov 21, 18, 5:30 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA PtPro (1 MM); Hilton Diamond; Hertz President Cr; DL SkyMiles; UA MileagePlus
Tokyo Banana KitKat

Yes, it is Tokyo Banana KitKat!? I don't get it... What is next? Mentaiko KitKat sold at Fukuoka?
Old Nov 21, 18, 6:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by AlwaysAisle View Post
Yes, it is Tokyo Banana KitKat!? I don't get it... What is next? Mentaiko KitKat sold at Fukuoka?
Don’t get it? Really??

Perhaps you need to flip this. Tokyo Banana KitKat is the answer to your “what is next?” question.

The company have been plundering compatible regional specialities for a long time now. After Sendai specific Zunda Mochi KitKat And Hokkaido Grilled Corn, Tokyo Banana seems inevitable. I imagine it was just the licensing that had to be sorted out.

Apparently the taste of mugicha is incredibly difficult to infuse into chocolate. Mentaiko might be way more feasible. Shoyu (soy sauce), wasabi and yuzu koshou have already been produced, wouldn’t surprise me if mentaiko has been or is currently being considered.

EDIT - LapChild is at home with a temperature and has just realised that KitKat Calpis exists. She’s all abristle with excited anticipation now. Doesn’t matter that we won’t be in Japan until April.
LCUF likes this.

Last edited by LapLap; Nov 21, 18 at 6:07 am
Old Nov 21, 18, 6:27 am

Programs: HH, BD
Originally Posted by AlwaysAisle View Post
What is next?
Tokyo Banana KitKat Ramune and Tokyo Banana KitKat Hšagen-Dazs.
(obvs)
Old Nov 21, 18, 6:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jib71 View Post
Tokyo Banana KitKat Ramune.
(obvs)
Who wants to volunteer a preview review? Both Ramune KitKat and Tokyo Banana KitKat already exist.

Synthetic banana generally makes me feel queasy. So am oot.

Bacon/pig fat and chocolate is a well established combination. I’ll put my bet/prediction on Tonkotsu KitKat at Fukuoka.
Old Nov 21, 18, 7:38 am
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott/spg, M life, and Hertz
Related discussion from post #59 onward in the following thread: Special flavor Kit Kats

Originally Posted by FlyinHawaiian View Post

There is a special flavor right now that can only be found at a store in the basement of the Tokyo Station by the Yaesu/Daimaru Exit. Limit is three boxes per person.
LapLap likes this.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Nov 21, 18 at 8:57 am
Old Nov 21, 18, 9:32 am

Programs: Former UA Premex, now dirt
If I were going to be in Japan any time in the reasonably near future, I would volunteer for this new flavor but I will not be there. Banana-chocolate certainly sounds better than mentaiko-chocolate.
Old Nov 21, 18, 12:32 pm

Picked up some last December. Nothing special sadly, just taste slightly of artificial banana flavour. Nice packaging though.

Prefer some the more local speciality biscuits/cakes the big department stores sell. For example.

Old Nov 21, 18, 10:49 pm

Originally Posted by LapLap View Post
EDIT - LapChild is at home with a temperature and has just realised that KitKat Calpis exists. Sheís all abristle with excited anticipation now. Doesnít matter that we wonít be in Japan until April.
What, now I am excited too. :P

On the other hand, I bought back umeshu and kuri flavors of KitKat and I didn't like them that much. I did like the Halloween version of caramel flavor of KitKat though. My coworker likes Tokyo Banana so much that I have to keep bringing some boxes back whenever I visit Tokyo so he might like this too. If anything, different flavors of KitKat keep things interesting and people pay attention to those new if not weird flavors. There was a winning flavor from the contest and I wonder what happened to that flavor or when they will release it.
Old Nov 21, 18, 11:23 pm

Programs: DL, WN, AA, IHG Plat, Hertz 5*
I am still regretting not buying some of these last month when I was in Tokyo. The store in Tokyo Station didn't have a real large variety of KitKats on my visit. I really like the cranberry almond ones though!!
Old Nov 22, 18, 12:48 am

Programs: RFC
Synthetic banana generally makes me feel queasy. So am oot.
I think you'll find it's the other synthetic bits (colour, texture, etc) that make you queasy, not the banana itself - the banana flavour is exactly the same as the natural ester. First flavour ester ever isolated, as it happens - it's also the simplest ester possible.
Old Nov 22, 18, 1:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LCUF View Post
On the other hand, I bought back umeshu and kuri flavors of KitKat and I didn't like them that much. I did like the Halloween version of caramel flavor of KitKat though. My coworker likes Tokyo Banana so much that I have to keep bringing some boxes back whenever I visit Tokyo so he might like this too. If anything, different flavors of KitKat keep things interesting and people pay attention to those new if not weird flavors. There was a winning flavor from the contest and I wonder what happened to that flavor or when they will release it.
Long ago, circa 2006, I bought a bag of Yuzu flavoured KitKats. It was a huge disappointment. I feel I have much healthier (and more realistic) expectations from Japanese KitKat flavours as a result.

Originally Posted by JamesBigglesworth View Post
I think you'll find it's the other synthetic bits (colour, texture, etc) that make you queasy, not the banana itself - the banana flavour is exactly the same as the natural ester. First flavour ester ever isolated, as it happens - it's also the simplest ester possible.
Cavendish bananas in general make me queasy, but if they are rather unripe I can deal with them. Very ripe plantains I have no problem with.
Synthetic banana is all the icky and none of the pleasure. So it probably is ester (which I’m guessing becomes more pronounced as the fruit ripens)
Calcifer (in the link FlyinHawaiian provided) bravely tried the Tokyo Banana KitKat and confirmed it wasn’t for me.
Old Nov 22, 18, 3:34 am

Who wants to volunteer a preview review? Both Ramune KitKat and Tokyo Banana KitKat already exist.
I'm not sure if my post was clear. I was envisaging a ramune-type drink with Tokyo Banana Kit Kat flavor. Even though it's the craziest product extension that I could dream up, it's not entirely implausible since Japan's beverage makers launch so many crazy, new, flavors every season.

I think it's funny that a chocolate bar that once seemed so quintessentially British to me is now quite the Japanese o-miyage. It makes me feel quite fond of KitKat again. For a while, I fell out of love with the brand - I think the formula for the chocolate changed. Nestle says that the new chocolate is better, but it doesn't taste of my childhood. Same goes for bananas, actually. Your comment about the flavor of Cavendish bananas set me wondering why bananas don't delight me like they used to. We had banana trees at the bottom of our garden when I was a child, and I wonder if they were of a different variety.
LapLap and rustykettel like this.
Old Nov 22, 18, 4:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jib71 View Post

Your comment about the flavor of Cavendish bananas set me wondering why bananas don't delight me like they used to. We had banana trees at the bottom of our garden when I was a child, and I wonder if they were of a different variety.
I went on a banana bender when I visited Thailand. So many kinds to try. But so many other fruit too. Mangosteen is what I really gorged on though.

Itís possible you were eating the Gros Michel kind as a boy.
Iíve had grapes and kyoho in Japan that taste like some of the grape flavoured candy my daughter and husband enjoy. Those grape candies donít taste much like the Spanish grapes I grew up with. Apparently, Gros Michel bananas taste more like banana flavoured things than the Cavendish clones do.
jib71 likes this.
Old Nov 22, 18, 5:12 am

I went on a banana bender when I visited Thailand.
Oh. They have banana benders? I had always assumed that was the natural shape of the fruit.

Seriously, though mangosteen is the best! Or maybe best equal best with Cherimoya - I tasted cherimoya for the first time very recently in the south of Spain (grown in Motril). I assume you already know about them, but if not, try one next time you're in the area. Apparently, they don't transport well.
My first experience of Japanese grapes was a shock to me - Having to peel the skin, and then tasting the "candy-like," flavor and realizing that Japanese grape soda was actually close to an authentic grape taste; just not what I knew as a grape taste. Japanese tomatoes and canned tomato juice was a similarly surprising experience. I got used to the grapes and the tomatoes, but I never acquired a taste for the wines that taste of "candy-like," grapes. The number of times that I had to make polite comments about some weirdly perfumed Delaware grape brew ...
LapLap likes this.
Old Nov 25, 18, 5:46 pm

Programs: KF Silver (lol)
Hmmm I'm a little confused by the date of the various posts; I bought a box of these Tokyo Banana KitKats in February this year.

I'm normally a huge fan of the flavoured kitkats but I couldn't finish this particular one, the taste was too synthetic for me and I ended up giving them away as souvenirs lol.

Search this Thread