Wiki Posts
Search

kyoto to narita airport-shinkansen versus flight

Search this Thread

Old Dec 20, 2018, 11:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by ksandness
Trains between Kyoto and Shinagawa run literally several times per hour. They may not all be the fastest Nozomi trains, but there is some sort of Shinkansen passing through or starting up every five to ten minutes. If you arrive at Kyoto Station too early, your train may not even be up on the schedule board yet.

Since I find trains relaxing and the process of flying stressful, I'll opt for the Shinkansen any day.
Also great fun to buy a bento box at the station to enjoy on your journey.
ksandness likes this.
Old Dec 22, 2018, 10:44 am

My opinion: Shinkansen. Trains = comfortable and relaxing, and you get a nice view on this journey.
Planes = Uncomfortable in Y, possibly stressful, delays are always possible, you have to remain strapped in.
Old Jan 13, 2019, 9:23 pm

Programs: UA MM, Premier Plat, Costco EM
Thank you all for the advice. I ended up redeeming a 5k MP award NRT-ITM (able to snag lie flat seats on 773ER) (we arrive NRT on a TPAC 2 hours earlier), and then plan to take bus from ITM to Kyoto Statiion and taxi to HR Kyoto - I will share how it goes next week. Thanks for all the help!
kaka likes this.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 5:47 am

Programs: Delta
Originally Posted by ordogg
Thank you all for the advice. I ended up redeeming a 5k MP award NRT-ITM (able to snag lie flat seats on 773ER) (we arrive NRT on a TPAC 2 hours earlier), and then plan to take bus from ITM to Kyoto Statiion and taxi to HR Kyoto - I will share how it goes next week. Thanks for all the help!
After the TPAC you'll be sound asleep in those lie flat seats. Too bad the flight isn't much more than an hour.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 12:35 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Have done that route, it's straightforward. The bus arrives at the rear of Kyoto station, on the side where the shinkansen tracks are, and there is a taxi rank about 150 yards away max.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 4:53 pm

I have experience with both. If you have a lot of luggage I recommend flying.

If you are travelling reasonably light, then train is great. You also get to see scenery, which I always find think is a good way to pass the time.

Just remember the etiquette on Japanese trains. Don't make any significant noise in the cabin. If you need to make a call move to the joining sections.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 7:08 pm

When you arrive at ITM, you go out to the bus and there are bus ticket vending machines curbside near where you get on the bus. Those machines don't take credit card. It has to be cash (or Suica, Icoca, etc). If you don't have cash, you have to go to their ticket counter which I believe is inside the terminal.
ordogg likes this.
Old Jan 19, 2019, 2:34 pm

Programs: UA MM, Premier Plat, Costco EM
Originally Posted by evergrn
When you arrive at ITM, you go out to the bus and there are bus ticket vending machines curbside near where you get on the bus. Those machines don't take credit card. It has to be cash (or Suica, Icoca, etc). If you don't have cash, you have to go to their ticket counter which I believe is inside the terminal.
thanks for the advice, flight was a little delayed, but super easy transfer to bus - which runs every 15 minutes and easy taxi to Hyatt Regency. Kyoto is fantastic!
Old Jan 20, 2019, 1:07 am

thanks for the advice, flight was a little delayed, but super easy transfer to bus - which runs every 15 minutes and easy taxi to Hyatt Regency. Kyoto is fantastic!
That's great to hear.
Yes the bus is nice. And it drops you off right by Donkihote (which is an amazing store). Enjoy Kyoto!
Old Jan 23, 2019, 9:05 pm
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
do you have hyatt status?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.