Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Japan
Reload this Page >

Ritz Carton or Prince Sakura - Tokyo 2 nights?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 10, 2018, 9:56 am
Original Poster

Hi, both hotels are available using Marriott reward points- the Sakura for 50K pts the Ritz for 60K pts. The Ritz is definitely a better value since the Sakura rtes are $370/night, the Ritz is $1200/night.. We will be in Tokyo only for 2 nights/2 days. Arrive very late (9pm) on a Thursday- flying J the entire trip so won't be hungry - arriving Haneda. We are there another night (Friday) and then depart on a red eye the following evening (Saturday- midnight flight) from Haneda again. That 3rd evening we will be at the NH lounge in HND until we fly out. The Sakura does seem rather central to get around on the JR line but is a bit removed. The Ritz seems more central. We are a family of 4 with luggage. We are planning on the taking the metro from HND and then cab it from Hamamatsucho to either hotel. I imagine we will have jet lag that Friday and wake up rather early as we adjust to the time change. Thank you for any insights on these options.
Old Nov 10, 2018, 10:56 am

Programs: AA PtPro (2 MM); Hilton Diamond; Hertz President Cr; DL SkyMiles; UA MileagePlus
Originally Posted by laurava
The Ritz seems more central.
Most will consider the Ritz-Carlton Tokyo to be higher category hotel than the Prince Sakura Tower Tokyo. As for the location "central" is relative depending on your plan at Tokyo. You time at Tokyo will be limited (almost two full days with jet lag). You will likely have places you want to be and do during that period, and that will determine which location will be more convenient for you.

You mentioned taking metro from HND, are you talking about monorail or Keikyu line?. HND is not served by subway, metro. The monorail will take you to Hamamatsucho. Keikyu Line will take you to Shinagawa. For the Prince Sakura Tower Tokyo taking Keikyu Line to Shinagawa will be more convenient. For the Ritz-Carlton Tokyo taking monorail to Hamamatsucho then taxi is one good option. I do not know how large is your luggage, four luggage with family in tow train or monorail may not be convenient. Not cost effective but taxi from HND can be convenient choice under your situation,
WAStraveller likes this.
Old Nov 10, 2018, 11:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Hi,

The Ritz seems to be very good value for 60k compared to the Prince Sakura at 50k . I have stayed at the Prince Sakura and it is very good ( i loved the japanese garden in between the Prince hotels in the area and is just outside the door of the Sakura) whilst it is handy for HND via the Keikyu line the Ritz will be a top scale hotel and would be worth the extra 10k points IMHO.

Regards

TBS
Old Nov 10, 2018, 12:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Ignoring the hotel itself (Ritz Carlton I agree is the better “deal” when it comes to bang for your points) and focusing solely on location.
Your comment was
“The Sakura does seem rather central to get around on the JR line but is a bit removed. The Ritz seems more central.”

In Tokyo, “central” isn’t necessarily what you might want.
For a family holiday, it’s hard to beat the location of the Sakura Prince. It’s a 5-7 minute walk from Shinagawa Station which is a nexus on the JR Yamanote circle line.
Unlike the London circle line which rings around the outside the bulk of London’s top tourist destinations, the JR Yamanote line actually connects together the majority of Tokyo’s most popular areas. It is exceptionally convenient. And the stations on the Yamonete line don’t involve long, long treks via multiple escalators (or elevators) to the platforms.
You could easily leave the Sakura Prince and arrive in Shibuya in around the same time it would take for your family to leave the Ritz Carlton and board the initial train in Roppongi.

Go for the Ritz Carlton by all means, but if you do so do realise that you are forsaking some convenience for the privilege. That’s unless taxis are your preferred mode of transport.
Old Nov 10, 2018, 6:22 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LapLap
Ignoring the hotel itself (Ritz Carlton I agree is the better “deal” when it comes to bang for your points) and focusing solely on location.
Your comment was
“The Sakura does seem rather central to get around on the JR line but is a bit removed. The Ritz seems more central.”

In Tokyo, “central” isn’t necessarily what you might want.
For a family holiday, it’s hard to beat the location of the Sakura Prince. It’s a 5-7 minute walk from Shinagawa Station which is a nexus on the JR Yamanote circle line.
Unlike the London circle line which rings around the outside the bulk of London’s top tourist destinations, the JR Yamanote line actually connects together the majority of Tokyo’s most popular areas. It is exceptionally convenient. And the stations on the Yamonete line don’t involve long, long treks via multiple escalators (or elevators) to the platforms.
You could easily leave the Sakura Prince and arrive in Shibuya in around the same time it would take for your family to leave the Ritz Carlton and board the initial train in Roppongi.

Go for the Ritz Carlton by all means, but if you do so do realise that you are forsaking some convenience for the privilege. That’s unless taxis are your preferred mode of transport.
Thank you, I think every pp agreed the Ritz is by far a better option for many reasons. However- given we have kids, luggage, only here for two days- the Sakura is the better option. Bummed since I know how much of a difference the Ritz can be from Marriott hotels that are still excellent.
Old Nov 11, 2018, 2:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thank you, I think every pp agreed the Ritz is by far a better option for many reasons. However- given we have kids, luggage, only here for two days- the Sakura is the better option. Bummed since I know how much of a difference the Ritz can be from Marriott hotels that are still excellent.
As The_Banking_Scot said, the gardens at the Sakura Prince are indeed lovely. I mean it, really lovely. I have stayed at both the Grand Prince Takanawa and the New Grand Prince Takanawa when the Sakura Tower was part of the same group of Prince Hotels and enjoyed the facilities of the Sakura Tower many times. It’s a very special place, perfect for a family. You should still be able to enjoy the adjoining Prince properties as well as the Marriott facilities.

From Haneda there is a direct Keikyu connection to Shinagawa Station, from there you can find elevators to the Takanawa exit if you need to avoid stairs or escalators. I have done this myself alone with a small child and all our luggage (plus the inevitable full case of gifts) a few times as I prefer to meet my father-in-law at the Pane e Vino restaurant overlooking the taxi rank at the Takanawa exit at Shinagawa rather than him coming to Haneda (or Narita) for us.
Alternatively a taxi shouldn’t cost more than 4,000yen (5,000 tops), which is a fair price when there are 4 of you. (Have also done this when getting an early morning departure from Haneda, but then there is hardly any traffic on the roads).

With two days for your visit it is very likely that you won’t have to use the underground metro once. Just sticking to the overground JR routes is very handy and more enjoyable (less walking/escalator rides between ticket halls and platforms and there are the views from the windows). I think you’re making the right call - but I sympathise with giving up the “luxe” of the RC - bummer!
WAStraveller likes this.

Last edited by LapLap; Nov 11, 2018 at 2:29 am
Old Nov 11, 2018, 3:12 am
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Have you considered the Prince Gallery Tokyo Koicho? It is well regarded by luxury hotel forumistas who have stayed there.
WAStraveller likes this.
Old Nov 11, 2018, 3:32 am

Agree with everything that's been said. Sakura Towers has an elegant vibe, particularly nice if you can get the corner room, the garden complex is very serene as has been stated, and it'll be quite convenient for your purpose. I actually think it's more like 3min walk to Shinagawa Station's Takanawa exit, add couple minutes if you get stuck on red light at that crosswalk near the station. If you're getting around by train, Shinagawa is going to be more "central" to places of interest (HND, Shibuya, Asakusa, etc).

Personally I would stay at Ritz Carlton as I would not be able to pass up such minimal cost difference to be able to stay at Ritz. However, I do think Sakura is actually the better choice for your situation. (Whenever I stay at a 5-star, the hotel is the main attraction and therefore I mostly don't leave the hotel so that I can get the most out of the stay. I personally would choose Ritz Carlton and then I would stay holed up at the hotel.)
WAStraveller likes this.
Old Nov 11, 2018, 7:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Hi,

Also if you go through the garden and the Grand Prince Hotel Takanawa you can get to the Takanawadai station for the Toei Asakusa line which can take you to Oshiage ( for the tokyo skytree tower) and Asakusa for the Senso-ji temple, shrines and shopping stalls ( good place for small cheap souvenirs ( and fridge magnets) and snacks without having to change.

On the street leading from Takanawadai station there is a small convenience store and a small patisserie ( with wonderful slices of cake- nice to eat in your room as an afternoon snack)

Regards

TBS
LapLap and WAStraveller like this.

Last edited by The _Banking_Scot; Nov 11, 2018 at 11:55 am
Old Nov 11, 2018, 10:53 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by AlwaysAisle
Most will consider the Ritz-Carlton Tokyo to be higher category hotel than the Prince Sakura Tower Tokyo. As for the location "central" is relative depending on your plan at Tokyo. You time at Tokyo will be limited (almost two full days with jet lag). You will likely have places you want to be and do during that period, and that will determine which location will be more convenient for you.

You mentioned taking metro from HND, are you talking about monorail or Keikyu line?. HND is not served by subway, metro. The monorail will take you to Hamamatsucho. Keikyu Line will take you to Shinagawa. For the Prince Sakura Tower Tokyo taking Keikyu Line to Shinagawa will be more convenient. For the Ritz-Carlton Tokyo taking monorail to Hamamatsucho then taxi is one good option. I do not know how large is your luggage, four luggage with family in tow train or monorail may not be convenient. Not cost effective but taxi from HND can be convenient choice under your situation,
I didn't realize the Keikyu line went directly to Sninagawa - thank you. I believe we will have 3 carryon sized luggage and one expandable one (this is the beginning of our trip so we will be traveling lighter). We arrive HND around 9:10pm- will this be a decent time to take the train? I read about rush hour.. on the way back, I will try to leave at a time to miss rush hour as well.
Old Nov 11, 2018, 11:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I didn't realize the Keikyu line went directly to Sninagawa - thank you. I believe we will have 3 carryon sized luggage and one expandable one (this is the beginning of our trip so we will be traveling lighter). We arrive HND around 9:10pm- will this be a decent time to take the train? I read about rush hour.. on the way back, I will try to leave at a time to miss rush hour as well.
Hi,

9:10pm will be well after rush hour ( and if you are an international arrival it will be later than that. I think the trains run until midnight

Going out the train itself should not be too bad as you are heading out of tokyo although the station might be busy ( not as bad as the JR station IME).( what time are you thinking of leaving)

I belive there was a shuttle bus from Shinagawa station going to the hotels ( a couple of years ago now)but not sure if it will run late at night. and cannot see much information on google

Regards

TBS
PS found it on the Grand Prince New Takanawa http://www2.princehotels.co.jp/takan..._timetable.pdf

but runs from 8am to 9pm only.
WAStraveller likes this.

Last edited by The _Banking_Scot; Nov 11, 2018 at 12:02 pm
Old Nov 11, 2018, 12:19 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by RichardInSF
Have you considered the Prince Gallery Tokyo Koicho? It is well regarded by luxury hotel forumistas who have stayed there.
Unfortunately, not available for our dates. Thank you.
Old Nov 11, 2018, 12:49 pm

Originally Posted by The _Banking_Scot
Also if you go through the garden and the Grand Prince Hotel Takanawa you can get to the Takanawadai station for the Toei Asakusa line which can take you to Oshiage ( for the tokyo skytree tower) and Asakusa for the Senso-ji temple, shrines and shopping stalls ( good place for small cheap souvenirs ( and fridge magnets) and snacks without having to change.
Don't mean to nitpick, but Asakusa train comes to Shinagawa station and so can go direct to Asakusa/Oshiage without having to change from Shinagawa also.

I believe we will have 3 carryon sized luggage and one expandable one (this is the beginning of our trip so we will be traveling lighter).
If there're 4 of you to tow your 4 suitcases, then you can easily walk to Sakura Towers. Getting to Grand Prince or New Prince Takanawa is more taxing, but Sakura Towers is right there. Once you're outside the station, there're no stairs or anything. You just take a right, cross the street and go up a small street (gentle incline) and you're there. When I stay at one of the Takanawa Princes, I usually take the train on the way there, but from the hotel will take the Limo Bus from the hotel lobby to HND/NRT.
Old Nov 11, 2018, 1:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

[QUOTE=evergrn;30418609]Don't mean to nitpick, but Asakusa train comes to Shinagawa station and so can go direct to Asakusa/Oshiage without having to change from Shinagawa also.

Hi,

Thanks for the clarification.

Regards

TBS

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.