Shinjuku Gyoen (新宿御苑)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Shinjuku Gyoen (新宿御苑)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 25, 2018, 1:33 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA PtPro (2 MM); Hilton Diamond; Hertz President Cr; DL SkyMiles; UA MileagePlus
Shinjuku Gyoen (新宿御苑)

Shinjuku Gyoen (新宿御苑) is a public park located east of Shinjuku station, 0.6 km (0.4 miles) from the station. The park has admission fee of 200 yen (US$ 1.76 or 1.56 Euro).

73 old man who worked at a ticket booth of the park admitted that because he could not speak any foreign language (non-Japanese) he was giving admission tickets to Gaijin (外人) without collecting admission fee. Park authority estimates that the man failed to collect approximately 25,000,000 yen (US$ 222,024 or 195 370 Euro) over time he worked at a ticket booth.

When this has become known to the authority on Jan. 2017 the man was put on dispensary with pay reduction to 1/10, but same month the man has quit the job.

So, any of you Gaijin who visited Shinjuku Gyoen thought the park is admission free, it is not!
Old Oct 25, 2018, 2:00 pm

Programs: HH Diamond
Amazing story and shocking that no one noticed for so long. Surely there was a daily discrepancy between tickets and receipts.
I was there a week and a half ago. I did pay, but via vending machine. I wonder if that is why there are a couple of vending machines now.
Old Oct 25, 2018, 2:12 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA PtPro (2 MM); Hilton Diamond; Hertz President Cr; DL SkyMiles; UA MileagePlus
The news article I read indicated that this 73 years old man was erasing data from the computer each time he printed tickets and gave those out free, hence authorities did not notice this for a long time.

The old man did not speak a word of foreign language but knew how to erase data from the computer!
Old Oct 25, 2018, 4:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Hi,

In april i was there with my mother and we got tickets at the vending machines and had to scan then at the barrier gates to get in. ( a QR code printed on the ticket IIRC)

Regards

TBS
Old Oct 29, 2018, 10:20 am
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by AlwaysAisle
The news article I read indicated that this 73 years old man was erasing data from the computer each time he printed tickets and gave those out free, hence authorities did not notice this for a long time.

The old man did not speak a word of foreign language but knew how to erase data from the computer!
its prob in a japanese system
Old Oct 31, 2018, 8:46 am

Programs: UA MM *G, NH Plat/SFC, HH Diamond, GE
I felt sad when I read this news article. I wish there was some kind of gofundme that could be setup so the old guy could recoup the retirement bonus he gave back.
Old Oct 31, 2018, 1:34 pm

Originally Posted by groovbusta
I felt sad when I read this news article. I wish there was some kind of gofundme that could be setup so the old guy could recoup the retirement bonus he gave back.
he doesn’t have to pay that back himself, does he? If so, that’s completely wrong.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.