Wiki Posts
Search

Autumn viewing / Mt. Fuji

Search this Thread

Old Oct 25, 2018, 6:40 pm
Original Poster

Programs: in C/C++, Python, SQL
Autumn viewing / Mt. Fuji

Hi...apologies if this is a stupid question. Heading to Japan next month, and will be in Tokyo toward the end of November (11/20 - 25 or so). Was thinking of taking a day (or part of one) to get out of the city and see some scenery and fall colors. It looks like Lake Kawaguchiko and Arakurayama Park are two possibilities that keep popping up.

I understand that I'm going toward the end of the season, so I might be too late to see anything. I also realize that getting that perfect shot of Mt. Fuji on a clear day framed by idyllic nature is a crap shoot at any time. Given all that, is this even a reasonable idea? Is one location recommended over the other (or somewhere else entirely)? Are these places reasonable to get to without too much difficulty on my own (a quick look at train schedules makes it seem that they should be)?

Thanks for any insights.

(Oh, and I also realize there's a holiday weekend in there--if I do this, it'll be on one of the weekdays.)
Old Oct 25, 2018, 11:19 pm

Programs: UA, NW
There should still be some autumn leaves somewhere in November. It's the prime autumn leaf season for Kyoto, for example.You may even have to go into some of the more mountainous areas within day-trip distance of Tokyo to see full fall colors

You are more likely to see Mt. Fuji in November than in the summer, when humid haze hides the mountain even when you're fairly close to it, but there are no guarantees, except possibly December through February.
Old Oct 26, 2018, 9:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by ksandness
There should still be some autumn leaves somewhere in November. It's the prime autumn leaf season for Kyoto, for example.You may even have to go into some of the more mountainous areas within day-trip distance of Tokyo to see full fall colors

You are more likely to see Mt. Fuji in November than in the summer, when humid haze hides the mountain even when you're fairly close to it, but there are no guarantees, except possibly December through February.
The festival runs until November 23rd, so at least there will be lights and stuff, but I woundn't expect many leaves that late:

https://en.kawaguchiko.net/event-en/...miji-festival/
Old Oct 27, 2018, 7:42 am

Programs: DL DM, UA Plat, HH
Thanks for the reminder.. I’ve wanted to go to this festival and just happen to be traveling in Japan early November. Any advice on how to get there for the non -driver? Looks like a few bus transfers are required.
Old Oct 27, 2018, 8:50 am

Programs: UA, NW
Originally Posted by davedimes
Thanks for the reminder.. I’ve wanted to go to this festival and just happen to be traveling in Japan early November. Any advice on how to get there for the non -driver? Looks like a few bus transfers are required.
There is a train route from Shinjuku to Kawaguchiko. I had planned to take it on my trip this past summer, but circumstances did not permit it. Take the JR Chuo Line past the edge of the Tokyo metropolitan area to Otsuki, then transfer to the Fujikyu Line for Kawaguchiko.

HyperDia says that trip takes 2.5 hours and costs ¥4790.

(If you don't know HyperDia, it's a website that plots out train routes from anywhere in Japan to anywhere else in Japan. Not all the routes are equally reasonable, but HyperDia usually gives you several choices, and if you select "More Options" in the initial search box, you can eliminate the options you don't want.)
Old Oct 27, 2018, 10:49 am

Programs: DL DM, UA Plat, HH
Tha is for the info! Looks like after you arrive at Kawaguchino station there is a 30min bus ride to Momiji Corridor. I’ll report back if I tackle the day trip.
Old Oct 27, 2018, 8:17 pm
Original Poster

Programs: in C/C++, Python, SQL
That looks like the same sort of route that I was looking at, but later in the month, so will be interested in hearing how it works out if you go.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.