Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Japan
Reload this Page >

Consolidated “Reiwa” discussion (was: May 1, 2019 will be a holiday, Coronation Day)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated “Reiwa” discussion (was: May 1, 2019 will be a holiday, Coronation Day)

Search this Thread

Old May 3, 2019, 3:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by AlwaysAisle
Rei 「令」on Reiwa has meaning of "commanding" or "ordering command." Back in old days, we are talking about 600 - 700 years ago, in Japan characters had close meaning to way it was used in Chinese where in old documents it was used to indicated law and regulation. However, now Rei 「令」 has meaning of "good" or "splendid" as in reimei 「令名」and also used for a title to honor a person such as in reijyou 「令嬢」in Japanese.

Japanese government has indicated Reiwa 「令和」was referenced from Manyoushu 「万葉集」which is an oldest Japanese document written around second half of 7th century to second half of 8th century with collection of Tannka 「短歌」, Japanese short poetry. Reiwa 「令和」was taken from Tannka 「短歌」about plum tree:

「初春の令月にして気淑く風和ぎ梅は鏡前の粉を披き蘭は珮後の香を薫らす」

written in Manyoushu 「万葉集」, as Japanese government has explained to the public.
Originally Posted by SofiaSanz
Hello AlwaysAisle,

Japan’s new era is called "Reiwa" and it started two days ago.

Emperor Akihito handed the throne to his son due to his old age which marked the end of the Heisei era. He was the first Japanese emperor to abdicate in over two centuries. Normally successions only take place after the death of an emperor.

The new era's name is a combination of the two characters Rei and Wa. Rei means "commands", "order", "auspicious" and "good". Wa means "harmony" and "peace". The start of the Reiwa era marks a huge moment for Japan both historically and symbolically. There have only been four eras in Japan’s modern history (since the Meiji restoration in 1868).
Hola @SofiaSanz,

Can I ask why you directed this information towards AlwaysAisle as s/he had already provided it.

Last edited by armagebedar; May 3, 2019 at 8:31 am Reason: updated quote
Old May 3, 2019, 3:24 am

Originally Posted by LapLap
Hola @SofiaSanz,

Can I ask why you directed this information towards AlwaysAisle as s/he had already provided it.
Hi there!

I address to him/her because was the one to start this forum. I'm super interested in Reiwa because I see it very different from my own country. I love everything about Japanese culture, and this era change really caught my attention.

Hope you have a great day
Old May 3, 2019, 10:13 am

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by hailstorm
If you can't find a way enjoy a ten day holiday, or the extra overtime pay that goes along with working during a ten day holiday, then I don't think that you are trying very hard.
The Rising Wasabi is all over it:

https://www.therisingwasabi.com/japa...y-golden-week/

https://www.therisingwasabi.com/sala...over-vacation/

()
Old May 3, 2019, 3:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, SEIBU PRINCE CLUB Silver, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by rustykettel
Whomever writes for this site doesn't know much about Japanese (or humor).

I mean, yasumishi!? Who combines kun-yomi with on-yomi, especially when kyuushi is much easier to say?
Old May 3, 2019, 5:30 pm

Programs: Tokyo Monorail Diamond-Encrusted-Platinum
Who combines kun-yomi with on-yomi, especially when kyuushi is much easier to say?
If you have butaniku in your daidokoro ... you might need to combine kun-yomi and on-yomi:
https://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/湯桶読み
https://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/重箱読み

FWIW, I propose ホリデッド as the word for fatal over vacationing.
LapLap likes this.

Last edited by jib71; May 3, 2019 at 5:35 pm
Old May 3, 2019, 6:28 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA PtPro (2 MM); Hilton Diamond; Hertz President Cr; DL SkyMiles; UA MileagePlus
Who combines kun-yomi with on-yomi...?
I do, such as 友達(tomodachi)、王様(oosama)、金色(kinniro)、雑煮(zouni)、残高( zanndaka)、仕事(shigoto). Looks like entire Japanese population do not know Japanese.
muji likes this.
Old May 3, 2019, 9:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by AlwaysAisle
I do, such as 友達(tomodachi)、王様(oosama)、金色(kinniro)、雑煮(zouni)、残高( zanndaka)、仕事(shigoto).
Didn't notice you using any hiragana in those words.
Old May 4, 2019, 6:34 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA PtPro (2 MM); Hilton Diamond; Hertz President Cr; DL SkyMiles; UA MileagePlus
What hiragana (ひらがな) had to do with this discussion?

On the dictionary, Kannwajitenn (漢和辞典) they list kunnyomi (訓読み) in hiragana (ひらがな) and onnyomi (音読み) in katakana(カタカナ). So list of kanji words I listed should be shown in mixture of katakana (カタカナ) and hiragana (ひらがな), not with hiragana (ひらがな) only.

友達 (ともダチ)、王様(オウさま)、金色(キンいろ)、雑煮(ゾウに)、残高( ザンだか)、仕事(シごと)
muji likes this.
Old May 4, 2019, 6:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
Give it up, you're bringing a knife to a gunfight.
wolfpacktrojan likes this.
Old May 4, 2019, 9:08 am

剣山
表参道
柴犬(ken)
夏場
冬場
Old May 4, 2019, 4:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yes, I am sure that you can drag put rare exceptions in any language. ("Look at the sheep!" "One sheep in particular, or all of them as a whole?")

Years ago, I was duly chastened for pronouncing 空腹 as kuuhara instead of kuufuku. I was told that was actually "painful to listen to" Leaving out longstanding exceptions with historical precedent (we could dedicate a whole topic to 雨 words), combining the two readings is unnatural, so if a Japanese were going to create a new word to describe death by relaxation, 99 out of 100 would choose kyuushi over yasumishi.
Old May 4, 2019, 4:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
I was told that was actually "painful to listen to"
Self-awareness is a wonderful attribute, congratulations.
Old May 4, 2019, 4:38 pm
Moderator, All Nippon Airways and Japan

Programs: NH SFC (*G), JL JGP (OWE), AS MVP, WOH E, IHG SE
It seems we’ve strayed a bit off topic. Since Reiwa (or as I shall continue to call it, “Heisei Plus”) is now here, I think we can move on to other discussions.

Regards,
armagebedar
Japan forum moderator

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.