Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Japan
Reload this Page >

Consolidated “Reiwa” discussion (was: May 1, 2019 will be a holiday, Coronation Day)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated “Reiwa” discussion (was: May 1, 2019 will be a holiday, Coronation Day)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 1, 2019, 3:08 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA PtPro (2 MM); Hilton Diamond; Hertz President Cr; DL SkyMiles; UA MileagePlus
Meanwhile Japan Mint has indicated that it will be around October this year when they will able to circulate all six coins (1 yen, 5 yen, 10 yen, 50 yen, 100 yen, and 500 yen) with Reiwa 「令和」year on it. Japan Mint said 100 yen and 500 yen coins will be first to see 「令和」year on it, that will be likely after this summer. Do not expect to see coins with 「令和」year starting this May.

Another story, after the announcement of the era name was derived from Manyoushu「万葉集」, on Amazon Japan sales of Manyoushu「万葉集」has ranked no. 2!
muji likes this.
Old Apr 1, 2019, 3:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Funnily enough, the alternative Spanish version of the first part is Ley - which means "law".
Old Apr 1, 2019, 3:31 pm

Programs: Tokyo Monorail Diamond-Encrusted-Platinum
Posted without reading. Sorry.
Old Apr 1, 2019, 7:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
It could also mean "cold peace" (different first kanji, but not that different, only missing the water radical). Which is fitting for the era.
Old Apr 1, 2019, 8:03 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by AlwaysAisle
Rei 「令」on Reiwa has meaning of "commanding" or "ordering command."
Great. 和 ("Wa") I sort of recognize as "Japanese" from 和牛 ("wagyu"). Now I'm going to think of this era as "ordering Japanese [food]".
Old Apr 2, 2019, 9:24 pm

Programs: Dirt
To commemorate the start of the Reiwa period, Grand Hyatt Tokyo's Oak Door to serve Golden Giant Burger from April 1 to June 30. 1 kg prime patty topped with foie gras and wagyu steak. 25 cm diameter and 15 cm high. All for a cool 100,000 jpy. The burger will feed 6-8 diners. How soon before a food fighter shows up and devour it?

Golden R Burger is also available in a more personal size for 20,000 jpy.

Edit: English link: https://www.tokyo.grand.hyatt.co.jp/...-giant-burger/

Last edited by msb0b; Apr 3, 2019 at 11:44 am
Old Apr 3, 2019, 4:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

In light of the other options, Reiwa doesn’t seem so bad after all.

https://www3.nhk.or.jp/nhkworld/en/n...IVKBG5CXmffr1s

“Sources say "Eiko," "Kyuka," "Koshi," "Banna," and "Banpo" were also considered.”
muji likes this.
Old Apr 3, 2019, 7:00 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, GHA Titanium
SUMO/ Hakuho in tussle again with JSA for hand-clapping rite after big win?The Asahi Shimbun

Mostly unrelated, but ... "Hakuho told the directors that he wanted to boost enthusiasm among the crowd because the tournament was the last of the Heisei Era, which began in 1989 and will end with the abdication of Emperor Akihito on April 30."
Old Apr 9, 2019, 8:17 pm

Programs: Dirt
Bank of Japan will phase in new bills by 2024.

10,000 note: Shibusawa Eiichi
5,000 note: Tsuda Umeko
1,000 note: Kitasato Shibasaburou

Source Nikkei (Jpn)
Not sure if Reiwa-related, but seems like a coincidence.
muji likes this.
Old Apr 9, 2019, 8:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

We were looking at the news about this and the discussion was that this was the first time in Japan that notes have ever been designed with the world outside Japan in mind.

I imagine that the 1,000yen note in particular will be extremely popular with visitors and a great deal of them will leave circulation permanently to become souvenirs.

What I am not sure about is whether this would be good or bad for Japan. Any thoughts?
Old Apr 9, 2019, 9:49 pm

Originally Posted by msb0b
10,000 note: Shibusawa Eiichi
5,000 note: Tsuda Umeko
1,000 note: Kitasato Shibasaburou
Cant say I know any of these people.
if it were me, I would’ve picked more contemporary figures. Takeru Kobayashi, Debido Arudo, Tonikaku Akarui Yasumura
Old Apr 9, 2019, 11:19 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by LapLap
What I am not sure about is whether this would be good or bad for Japan. Any thoughts?
Being somewhat OCD, first thing I noticed is that the denominations aren't easily viewed at the top with the front facing towards you in a wallet. The current notes also use variations in the font and size of denominations which help to visually differentiate those as well.
Old Apr 10, 2019, 2:07 am

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
Originally Posted by evergrn
Cant say I know any of these people.
Industrialist
Educator
Immunologist
evergrn likes this.
Old Apr 10, 2019, 4:49 am

Programs: Tokyo Monorail Diamond-Encrusted-Platinum
Originally Posted by LapLap
We were looking at the news about this and the discussion was that this was the first time in Japan that notes have ever been designed with the world outside Japan in mind. I imagine that the 1,000yen note in particular will be extremely popular with visitors and a great deal of them will leave circulation permanently to become souvenirs. What I am not sure about is whether this would be good or bad for Japan. Any thoughts?
When I first visited Japan, the 5,000 yen note had a view of Lake Motosu / Mt. Fuji, which was quite pretty. Not sure if people kept them as souvenirs, since 5,000 is quite a high value.
If tourists pay dollars and euros to purchase 1,000 yen notes and take them out of circulation, it's like a gift to Japan. But I can't imagine that enough tourists would keep enough notes to have a significant impact on the economy. It could, I suppose, lead to unpredictable shortages of 1,000 yen notes.
LapLap likes this.
Old Apr 10, 2019, 5:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jib71
When I first visited Japan, the 5,000 yen note had a view of Lake Motosu / Mt. Fuji, which was quite pretty. Not sure if people kept them as souvenirs, since 5,000 is quite a high value.
If tourists pay dollars and euros to purchase 1,000 yen notes and take them out of circulation, it's like a gift to Japan. But I can't imagine that enough tourists would keep enough notes to have a significant impact on the economy. It could, I suppose, lead to unpredictable shortages of 1,000 yen notes.
My initial thought was that the omiyage “purchases” would help pay for all the set up costs of designing and making the new new notes.
But it was pointed out to me that a sizeable amount of this kind of “free money” might have an impact on inflation rates. As you said, perhaps it won’t be enough to be a significant impact and (un)expected shortages - for instance at or after an Olympics or World Cup level sporting event - would be the biggest headache.
If they were releasing them next year and not in 5 years time I could imagine huge numbers being “bought” as souvenirs.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.