Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Japan
Reload this Page >

Consolidated “Reiwa” discussion (was: May 1, 2019 will be a holiday, Coronation Day)

Consolidated “Reiwa” discussion (was: May 1, 2019 will be a holiday, Coronation Day)

Old Dec 8, 2018, 9:31 pm

Originally Posted by Daytona
It's official - Japan will have a 10-day weekend from April 27 to May 6, 2019.

https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/20...l-clears-diet/
It's official, do not go to Japan near that time! But seriously, that's one long weekend and all those overtime pays.
Old Dec 9, 2018, 12:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LCUF
It's official, do not go to Japan near that time! But seriously, that's one long weekend and all those overtime pays.
In all seriousness, I'd bet that would be a great period to spend time in Tokyo.

I'd be wary of going anywhere else in the country that draws Japanese tourists, but Tokyo itself should empty out considerably despite events and activities taking place around the city.
LCUF likes this.
Old Dec 21, 2018, 7:03 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Lifetime Platinum, DL Platinum, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz Platinum
What do you suppose happens to the national holiday for "Emperor's Birthday?" There will be no day in 2019 where it's the emperor's birthday. The previous emperor's birthday is now Showa Day. In 2019, will they now have a Heisei Day, and then make Feb 23 the new Emperor's Birthday, starting in 2020? If they kept that trend, eventually all of the days of the year will be national holidays :-)
Old Dec 23, 2018, 2:50 am

Programs: AA PPro, TP Gold, UA Silver, Bonvoy/Hilton Gold, Global Entry
Originally Posted by Steve M
What do you suppose happens to the national holiday for "Emperor's Birthday?" There will be no day in 2019 where it's the emperor's birthday. The previous emperor's birthday is now Showa Day. In 2019, will they now have a Heisei Day, and then make Feb 23 the new Emperor's Birthday, starting in 2020? If they kept that trend, eventually all of the days of the year will be national holidays :-)
Hmm...all imperial birthdays since Meiji have since remained national holidays in one way or another, so I'd expect more of the same.

I don't know if it's been officially confirmed though.
Old Dec 24, 2018, 9:11 am

Programs: Tokyo Monorail Diamond-Encrusted-Platinum
Originally Posted by JMBResona
Hmm...all imperial birthdays since Meiji have since remained national holidays in one way or another, so I'd expect more of the same.

I don't know if it's been officially confirmed though.
As far as I know, Taisho Emperor's birthday (Aug 31) has not remained a national holiday. But Showa Day (Apr 29) coincides with the Showa Emperor's birthday and Culture Day (Nov 3) coincides with the Meiji emperor's birthday.
Old Dec 28, 2018, 12:14 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by AlwaysAisle
So what is the big deal? Calendar publishers! They have already started to print 2019 calendars, then now the government is telling them “By the way, May 1 will be a holiday, also.” What are they supposed to do with already printed calendars? If you already bought 2019 calendar in Japan then...

P.S. Heisei will end on April 30, 2019.
Originally Posted by LapLap
Surely that is way less of a headache for calendar makers than not knowing what the new post Heisei era will even be called.
I guess calendar owners will need to pencil in the era name and holidays with a red pen! From a Takahashi Shoten diary purchased earlier this month:

LapLap and jib71 like this.
Old Dec 31, 2018, 4:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, SEIBU PRINCE CLUB Silver, Marriott Gold
It will take a new law to make December 23rd, 2019, or any December 23rd hereafter, a national holiday. There are no plans to do that as of now.

It's not like we have holidays for every Emperor that came before Meiji...
Old Dec 31, 2018, 10:11 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Lifetime Platinum, DL Platinum, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz Platinum
Originally Posted by LapLap
Surely that is way less of a headache for calendar makers than not knowing what the new post Heisei era will even be called.
The Japanese government plans to announce the name of the nation's new era on April 1 ahead of the ascension of the new emperor on May 1, a government source said early Tuesday.
https://mainichi.jp/english/articles...3000c#cxrecs_s
Old Mar 29, 2019, 12:49 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA PtPro (2 MM); Hilton Diamond; Hertz President Cr; DL SkyMiles; UA MileagePlus
The Japanese government plans to announce the name of the nation's new era on April 1 ahead of the ascension of the new emperor on May 1, a government source said early Tuesday.

https://mainichi.jp/english/articles...3000c#cxrecs_s
April 1 is fast approaching for the announcement of the name of the new era. News in Japan is indicating that officials in the government are extremely nervous about the name of the new era leaking to the public before the official announcement. To the point some government core officials were banned from using cell phone, social media, etc. to prevent the name from leaking. Supposed to be that prior to the announcement to the public, the emperor and the prince (soon to be new emperor) will be informed of the name of the new era then there will be public announcement. The government officials wants to avoid at any cost that the name of the new era leaking to the public before the emperor and the prince are informed of the name of the new era, some people can loose job if such happens.

Obviously, there are already some posts on internet claiming to know the name of the new era sourcing prominent academic type rumored to be involved in the selection of the name of the new era.

The name of the new era will be announced on April 1 11:30 a.m. Japan time.
Old Mar 31, 2019, 8:57 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA PtPro (2 MM); Hilton Diamond; Hertz President Cr; DL SkyMiles; UA MileagePlus
Name of the new era is...

令和

It is pronounced "Reiwa."
Old Mar 31, 2019, 9:02 pm

Old Mar 31, 2019, 9:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, SEIBU PRINCE CLUB Silver, Marriott Gold
Got me on my knees Reiwa...
joejones likes this.
Old Mar 31, 2019, 11:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Spanish for King is “Rey”, so - from that perspective - it’s like naming the era Rex (f. Regina)

Good to know the lay members of the family will find it easy to grasp and remember.

Kanji even looks like it is wearing a crown... sorta.
Old Apr 1, 2019, 7:48 am

Programs: American Express got a hit man lookin' for me
Reiwa

I am not a fan of this new gengo. Every time I see it, I think "Peace! That's an order!"
Old Apr 1, 2019, 11:36 am
Original Poster

Rei 「令」on Reiwa has meaning of "commanding" or "ordering command." Back in old days, we are talking about 600 - 700 years ago, in Japan characters had close meaning to way it was used in Chinese where in old documents it was used to indicated law and regulation. However, now Rei 「令」 has meaning of "good" or "splendid" as in reimei 「令名」and also used for a title to honor a person such as in reijyou 「令嬢」in Japanese.

Japanese government has indicated Reiwa 「令和」was referenced from Manyoushu 「万葉集」which is an oldest Japanese document written around second half of 7th century to second half of 8th century with collection of Tannka 「短歌」, Japanese short poetry. Reiwa 「令和」was taken from Tannka 「短歌」about plum tree:

「初春の令月にして気淑く風和ぎ梅は鏡前の粉を披き蘭は珮後の香を薫らす」

written in Manyoushu 「万葉集」, as Japanese government has explained to the public.
kevincrumbs likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.