Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Japan
Reload this Page >

Japan Ranked No. 1 on Henley & Partners Passport Index

Old Oct 10, 18, 10:50 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA PtPro (1 MM); Hilton Diamond; Hertz President Cr; DL SkyMiles; UA MileagePlus

Looks like the ranking is based on how many countries can be visited by visa free program or visa on arrival, i.e. how many countries can be visited without prior visit to a consulate for visa application before the travel?

Japan ranked no. 1 with 190 countries. Second place was Singapore with 189 countries. Third was three way tie by France, Germany, and South Korea with 188 countries. Ranked bottom was Afghanistan and Iraq with 30 countries.

Henley & Partners Passport Index (PDF file)
Old Oct 10, 18, 12:45 pm
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Silver, Hilton Diamond and A3*G
This "ranking" is just a gimmick, what practical use does it actually serve? It isn't like a Singapore citizen who wants to visit that 190th country can suddenly decide to become Japanese so they don't need to attend a consulate prior to their trip... (and that's assuming the 189 visa-free countries for Singaporeans and Japanese are aligned, which they probably aren't).

Also, destinations are not equal. Suppose tomorrow Abe says something that Trump takes as an insult and he decides to suspend Japan from the VWP, now Japan is on par with Singapore at 189, but it would be a stretch to claim they have "equal travel freedom" since a lot more people want to visit the US than certain other small countries. And how many people (apart from those who congregate on travel forums) actually want to visit 100+ countries?
Old Oct 10, 18, 10:03 pm

I think there are plenty of people travelling to many countries but not participating in the travel forums at all. It's like consumers and goods. Consumers don't really write good reviews but often write bad reviews to complain about.

Having no need to get a visitor/tourist visa before visiting a country is important as you don't need to plan much ahead (removing the friction for travel). Some of my Indian or Chinese friends can probably tell you that visas are such a pain for them. I will probably not visit any country that requires me to apply for a tourist visa unless I really really want to visit the country (there are so many to choose from that don't require visas).
Old Oct 10, 18, 10:40 pm

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
and it excludes the BNO.
Old Oct 11, 18, 3:21 am

Programs: HH, BD
Originally Posted by kaka View Post
and it excludes the BNO.
Makes sense. After all, the purpose of the BN(O) was to exclude the BN(O).

Originally Posted by :D! View Post
This "ranking" is just a gimmick, what practical use does it actually serve?
I'll be using it to chart the decline of the UK.
Old Oct 11, 18, 4:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jib71 View Post
People in London used to ask MrLapLap why he didn’t get a UK passport.
Nobody asks that anymore.

Having British/Spanish nationality is great, it’s only because my husband and daughter are Japanese that I realise that they can visit and stay in, say, China and Vietnam, way more easily and cheaply than I can.
jib71 and LCUF like this.
Old Oct 11, 18, 10:46 am
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Silver, Hilton Diamond and A3*G
Originally Posted by LCUF View Post
I think there are plenty of people travelling to many countries but not participating in the travel forums at all. It's like consumers and goods. Consumers don't really write good reviews but often write bad reviews to complain about.
The people who want to visit 100+ countries - they will do it even if they need to get visas.

Not sure what participating in a travel forum has to do with complaining about bad products or poor service.

Having no need to get a visitor/tourist visa before visiting a country is important as you don't need to plan much ahead (removing the friction for travel)
Duh.

How does knowing that such and such a country's passport requires a visa for 1 less or 1 more country than your own affect anything?

Originally Posted by jib71 View Post
OK, there may be a 1% chance that British citizens will need to get visas for EU countries, but 99% chance that the UK will not be moving anywhere on this list.
Old Oct 12, 18, 4:53 am

Programs: HH, BD
OK, there may be a 1% chance that British citizens will need to get visas for EU countries, but 99% chance that the UK will not be moving anywhere on this list.
That's a hypothesis. Another hypothesis is that there's a higher than 1% chance that UK's ability to sign agreements with countries around the world will diverge from the EU's ability to do the same. That may lead, over time, to the UK's position rising or falling, relative to EU counties, which are currently grouped around the top of this chart. But I'm not here to argue about Brexit. I'm just trying to show one way in which the rankings are interesting / valuable. The fact that you have a hypothesis, and that the rankings could be used to test it, is proof of that.

Now, of course, there's a lot of value in the granular data behind this chart. If you're in charge of travel for a company that operates globally, and you spend a lot of time dealing with bureaucracy to get employees of various nationalities into 100+ countries, you might see this chart and think "Hey. Those chaps at Henley and Partners might have the kind of expertise that could really help me with this." And then you might call Henley and Partners and they might say, "Yes. We can provide a solution for your company in exchange for some money." That's probably why Henley and Partners haven't just released all of their work onto the internet.

In this sense, you're right that the chart is a "gimmick" of limited value. That's kind of the point. It's obviously a good gimmick, because even the people who hate it are talking about it.

Duh.
​​​​​Quite.
LapLap and LCUF like this.