Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Japan
Reload this Page >

JR Pass - incorrect last name spelling

Old Sep 24, 18, 2:13 pm
Original Poster

Hi, I purchased a JR Pass and now that I received it, I noticed that my second last name has a wrong spelling (my last name is Paiz Secaida but its shows Paiz Seicada) do you think it should be a problem on the exchange office in Japan? thanks!
Old Sep 24, 18, 4:41 pm

Programs: HH, BD
Originally Posted by oscarpaiz79 View Post
Hi, I purchased a JR Pass and now that I received it, I noticed that my second last name has a wrong spelling (my last name is Paiz Secaida but its shows Paiz Seicada) do you think it should be a problem on the exchange office in Japan? thanks!
My guess is that you'll be fine. It can't be the first time that it happened. If there are any questions, you can explain that the agency that issued the exchange voucher is responsible for this mistake. If you feel nervous about it and you have time, you could contact the agency and ask them to correct the mistake, but I think you'll be fine.
Where are you planning to exchange the voucher for the pass?
Old Sep 24, 18, 5:00 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for your answer

Originally Posted by jib71 View Post
My guess is that you'll be fine. It can't be the first time that it happened. If there are any questions, you can explain that the agency that issued the exchange voucher is responsible for this mistake. If you feel nervous about it and you have time, you could contact the agency and ask them to correct the mistake, but I think you'll be fine.
Where are you planning to exchange the voucher for the pass?
<Well...actually I will exchange it once I arrive to Osaka...I'll arrive to Tokyo but 2 hours later I have a flight to Osaka so it will be there...to start using it next day
Old Sep 24, 18, 7:45 pm

Programs: KF Silver (lol)
Originally Posted by oscarpaiz79 View Post
Well...actually I will exchange it once I arrive to Osaka...I'll arrive to Tokyo but 2 hours later I have a flight to Osaka so it will be there...to start using it next day
I guess the question was more along the lines of, how soon are you travelling to Japan? If it's tomorrow, then it doesn't make sense for people to suggest for you to get it corrected.

Anyway I have no personal experience either but if I had to make a bet, I'd bet that you'd be fine.
Old Sep 25, 18, 4:07 am

Programs: HH, BD
Originally Posted by shuigao View Post
I guess the question was more along the lines of, how soon are you travelling to Japan? If it's tomorrow, then it doesn't make sense for people to suggest for you to get it corrected.
No. My question was where the OP plans to exchange the pass.
It's possible to purchase a JR Pass (at a slightly higher price) in Osaka. So the OP could use this as a backup option in case the exchange voucher is rejected. Keep all receipts to support a claim from the agency responsible for the mistake.
JAPAN RAIL PASS exchange offices | JAPAN RAIL PASS
Old Dec 14, 18, 8:06 pm

Originally Posted by jib71 View Post
It's possible to purchase a JR Pass (at a slightly higher price) in Osaka.
In Tokyo too, actually didn't know it was possible - apparently only until the end of March, but who knows...

Last edited by MichaelJapan; Dec 14, 18 at 8:16 pm
Old Dec 14, 18, 8:19 pm

It's also a potential issue when you're on the train, assuming the actual pass shows the incorrect name. Every once in a while in Asia you get personnel who simply take their finger and line up the letters in your passport with the letters in whatever document you're presenting. They don't understand anything more than there's a match or there's not a match.
Old Dec 14, 18, 8:34 pm

In my almost eight years of living in Japan I have never heard of anybody coming here having to show their passport on trains or at ticket gates. The only time passports were checked was when vouchers were exchanged for the pass.
I am not saying this check cannot happen (more likely at station gates), but I am sharing my experience of having 100+ people coming and using them (family and for our company alike) over here.
Old Dec 14, 18, 9:12 pm

The official webpage is pretty clear:

" In order to receive a JAPAN RAIL PASS, the name appearing on the claim ticket must match the name appearing in your passport."

JAPAN RAIL PASS: From purchase to travel | JAPAN RAIL PASS

I travelled once with a Railpass and don't recall whether anyone looked at it together with my passport while I was travelling. But Japanese train people have always struck me as rather officious and fussy. I would not want to deal with them if my documents were not in perfect order.
Old Dec 15, 18, 2:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MichaelJapan View Post
In my almost eight years of living in Japan I have never heard of anybody coming here having to show their passport on trains or at ticket gates. The only time passports were checked was when vouchers were exchanged for the pass.
I am not saying this check cannot happen (more likely at station gates), but I am sharing my experience of having 100+ people coming and using them (family and for our company alike) over here.
I’ve mentioned on this forum before that I have had my passport checked when travelling with a JR pass.
I may not be a “real” person to you but quite a few of the forum regulars have met me.
I only ever bought a JR pass for myself once (usually I get the JR East kind) and it was in 2006, but between Nagoya and Osaka whilst travelling on a non-Shinkansen train I was required to show my passport.

Even in that situation, I doubt an incorrect spelling would have caused a big problem. I suspect they wanted to check that I had a temporary visa, particularly as I was travelling with somebody not entitled to a JR Pass.

Most officious ticket checker I have come across elsewhere was at the manned JR interchange gate at Ichigaya (or possibly Iidabashi but definitely one of the two). An inspector there really scrutinised my JR East Pass and asked for my passport too. I think that had to do with how it got stamped up in Shiogama and Fugushima. That was about 4 years ago.

From my small and personally acquired data set, my impression is that passport inspection is more likely to happen if you are outside of the standard tourism loop, i.e. if your route and/or companion flags as being in any way unusual/uncommon. Any irregularities with a stamp (like with the JR East Pass) may also invite scrutiny.