Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Japan
Reload this Page >

Itinerary Ideas Needed for Hokkaido

Itinerary Ideas Needed for Hokkaido

Old May 28, 2019, 6:17 pm

Can you reasonably enjoy Shiretoko if you are not a Japanese speaker? I only went as far as Abashiri (for the icebreaker drift ice tour) and didn't find it very gaijin-friendly. I think the only English speaking person there was at the reception of the Ryohyo museum.

Plus the public transport was quite limited and distances between attractions not pedestrian at all - I guess you need a car to enjoy it fully...
Old May 28, 2019, 7:35 pm

Programs: Former UA Premex, now dirt
Originally Posted by cockpitvisit
...Plus the public transport was quite limited and distances between attractions not pedestrian at all - I guess you need a car to enjoy it fully...
Are you talking about Shiretoko or Abashiri? I found it pretty easy to get around to the few attractions in Abashiri on the city bus but highly recommend walking or taxiing to the bus depot downtown to start. There is a good route map and schedule at the counter. The prison walking tour is pretty self-explanatory and brochures are available in multiple languages at the entrance. The Drift Ice Museum is interesting and informative but you are right that the video presentation is in Japanese.

I enjoyed the bus trip out onto Shiretoko but will admit that my Japanese language ability, basic as it is, helped a lot. It would be challenging with no Japanese at all. There are a couple of connections that are very tricky.
cockpitvisit likes this.
Old May 28, 2019, 11:50 pm

Originally Posted by evergrn
Sorry I'm actually flying into Memenbetsu at night and then spending the night at a place called Shari from where Utoro is supposed to be an hour drive.
Also I had the time of the cruise wrong... it's 10a-1p. If I have to be there 30min before departure, I'd better leave Shari by 8.30am.
The one I booked is supposed to go all the way to the tip. That sucks that yours got cancelled. I hadn't even considered such possibility. The cruise seems like the highlight of visiting Shiretoko. Was the shorter cruise nice, and do they convert the 3hr cruise to the shorter one so that guests aren't completely left high and dry in case the longer cruise needs to be cancelled by weather?
Thanks for letting me know about the bear season. Didn't know about this either, but I guess I am going during the bear season and I will just stick to the boardwalk as we don't have a lot of time and I don't have the attention span for listening to rangers.
Oshirukoshin Falls is apparently on the way from Shari to Utoro. My guidebook says allow 30min, but isn't this waterfall just on the side of the road? Wouldn't a few minutes suffice for stopping by and taking pics?
Based on your comments, I will probably not bother checking out Rausu. But I still want to head to Kushiro that way because Google Map says it's only 20min longer via Rausu and moreover I'd like to check out the views of Russian islands.
When I was at Shiretoko in July four years ago as part of a two-week road/camping trip, the bear sightings from the cruise was about 50% of the departures IIRC. I personally did not like the cruise that much. I guess it depends if you see any bears. But if you are making the effort to go to Shiretoko, then of course you have to take the cruise, and spend as much time as you can around the five lakes. On the other hand, you can skip Rausa. I thought the drive to the high pass between Utoro and Rausa was nothing special.

As others have said, drive times will probably be longer than you think. There isn't much traffic once you leave Shiretoko until you get to the area around Obihiro. Officially speeds limits are 50 kph outside the toll roads, but those are really set for winter conditions, so you can get away with some speeding in the summer but best to follow traffic rather than lead. If you change up your routing, Lake Akan is worth a stop.
Old May 29, 2019, 12:10 am

I sure hope we get lucky with the bear sighting. But we won't hold our hopes up.
I realize Rausu is not that exciting, but seeing the Russian islands (or should I say Northern territories) is definitely something I'd like to do just to satisfy my weird curiosity especially since I don't anticipate going back to that corner of Hokkaido for a very long time after this summer.
You think Akan Lake is better than Mashuu Lake?
Old May 29, 2019, 1:11 am

Originally Posted by evergrn
You think Akan Lake is better than Mashuu Lake?
In the end, it really depends on weather. It was quite cloudy when we drove through the area.

For me, the two highlights in northern Hokkaido were Daizetsuzan and Shiretoko (especially the hike around Kamuiwakka Hot Falls where I had a fleeting bear sighting).
Old Sep 15, 2019, 7:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
Hoping to make it to either Daizetsuzan or Akan National Park. In October, will the weather be similar to Europe, i.e. cool to possibly cold with a good chance of rain?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.