Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Japan
Reload this Page >

October: Kyoto + what destination

Old Sep 7, 2018, 9:50 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, airline free agent

Work is taking me to Tokyo the first week in October. Wife and 9yr old daughter will join me in Osaka and we plan of visiting it and Kyoto. We’d love to go to one more place in Japan (we spent a week in Tokyo and surrounding areas last year) There seem to be an endless number of fantastic sounding places we could go. Any suggestions come to mind, especially given the time of the year, and where we will be?

Is Hokkaido too ambitious with 3-4 days and the recent earthquake? Nagasaki?

Thanks in advance!
Old Sep 7, 2018, 10:56 pm

Programs: Delta
Two weeks based in Osaka and visiting the areas of the Kansai region is not unreasonable. For example, Himeji, Wakayama, Shima peninsula, in addition to Osaka, Kyoto, and Kobe.
https://www.japan-guide.com/list/e1105.html
You could easily add day or overnight trips from Osaka to Kinosaki, Okayama, Hiroshima/Miyajima.
https://www.japan-guide.com/list/e1106.html
Another thought would be to stay overnight in an onsen resort or ryokan, a wonderful experience, with many possibilities in the area. By staying in Osaka/Kansai you avoid losing time in transit to another part of Japan, checking out of/into hotels, etc.
Old Sep 7, 2018, 11:12 pm

Programs: Former UA Premex, now dirt
Keep in mind that Kansai International (KIX) is out of service with severe damage from the latest typhoon. I haven't seen recent estimates for repairs but they may or may not have it back in service by 10/1. That might impact your plans.

Of places easily reachable from Osaka/Kyoto, I like Hiroshima + Okayama + Kurashiki. From there, you could fly from ITM or take the shinkansen back to Tokyo for departure. Another option might be Shikoku island.

If those don't appeal, I also like Kyushu. The long shinkansen ride to Hakata (Fukuoka) plus the Limited Express from Hakata to Nagasaki would be a long day of travel but a couple of days in Nagasaki would make it worth it. Add a couple of days in and around Fukuoka and then a flight from FUK back to NRT or HND for departure would fill your time.

I would want a least a full week for Hokkaido.
Old Sep 7, 2018, 11:23 pm

How many days do you have to spend with your family in Jpn?
If a week or less, just stay in Kansai (Kyoto/Osaka) area. Even with 2 weeks, there's plenty to see/do in/around Kansai and as daytrips from Kansai area to easily fill up your time as nishimark says.
Old Sep 8, 2018, 8:02 am

Programs: UA, NW
Yes, there is plenty in Kansai. Osaka, Nara, Uji, Kobe, and Himeji are obvious choices, all doable as day trips, and if you buy a guidebook for Kyoto, you will see plenty of other options for day trips, as well as attractions you may not have thought of within the city.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.