Typhoon Jebi floods KIX, breaks connecting bridge

Typhoon Jebi floods KIX, breaks connecting bridge

Old Sep 13, 2018, 10:31 pm

EVA has also resumed flights to KIX.
Old Sep 14, 2018, 1:52 pm
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by trav25
Thank you all. Japan Air is saying they will start flights on Sept 15. Glad there are other flights going before we go. Closer to the date, we will see how to get off the island.
shuttle bus to rinku town, ferry, rental car, normal limo bus

or maybe the train will b back n no need shuttle bus
Old Sep 15, 2018, 6:26 am

Programs: QFF
KIX are saying rail service will resume on Tuesday 18th.
Old Sep 15, 2018, 8:58 pm
Formerly richh1833

Programs: QF P1, BA GGL, AS GMVP
I see that AY78 is being cancelled from KIX but I also see AY78 departing from NGO. Does this mean the flight has been moved to NGO until KIX opens?
Old Sep 15, 2018, 9:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by richh1833
I see that AY78 is being cancelled from KIX but I also see AY78 departing from NGO. Does this mean the flight has been moved to NGO until KIX opens?
KIX is open again. JAL moved all their international flights back to KIX from Narita from the 15th of September, ANA should have full international operations by the 20th.

The trains will be running again from the 18th.

But yes, Finnair is stil operating from Nagoya.

Last edited by CPH-Flyer; Sep 15, 2018 at 9:30 pm
Old Sep 16, 2018, 5:29 pm

Originally Posted by richh1833
At the moment finnair is operating AY77/78 to NGO until 20th day. They have extended timeline couple times.
Old Sep 17, 2018, 12:12 am

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
KIX is open again. JAL moved all their international flights back to KIX from Narita from the 15th of September, ANA should have full international operations by the 20th.

The trains will be running again from the 18th.
Those rails were totally bent with road hanging over them. How they're going to get it back up and running by 18th is beyond belief. Also can't believe the flights are already going to be almost back to normal in a couple days. When I saw the pictures, I thought KIX would be out of commission for at least a month.
Old Sep 17, 2018, 12:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by evergrn
Those rails were totally bent with road hanging over them. How they're going to get it back up and running by 18th is beyond belief. Also can't believe the flights are already going to be almost back to normal in a couple days. When I saw the pictures, I thought KIX would be out of commission for at least a month.
Initially they did also report a longer expected repair time. Whether that was changed due to political pressure (the Japanese PM was quite direct in his statements), damage being less extensive than initially thought, or a mix thereof I don't know.

But Japan does have a history of getting infrastructure back in track surprisingly quickly after natural disasters. A lot of resources are put in to it
Old Sep 17, 2018, 12:29 am

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
But Japan does have a history of getting infrastructure back in track surprisingly quickly after natural disasters. A lot of resources are put in to it
Yeah I was in Kobe for the first time after the earthquake around year 2000. You couldn't have even guessed anything had happened to the city just 5 years prior.
Old Sep 17, 2018, 9:26 am
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by evergrn
Yeah I was in Kobe for the first time after the earthquake around year 2000. You couldn't have even guessed anything had happened to the city just 5 years prior.
You can partially thank the yakuza for that...
Old Sep 17, 2018, 6:10 pm

Programs: AA PtPro (2 MM); Hilton Diamond; Hertz President Cr; DL SkyMiles; UA MileagePlus
Update:

JR West and Nankai have resumed service to KIX, now KIX is accessible by trains. Auto bridge to KIX continues to be restricted to commercial traffic only, private cars and rental cars are continue to be not allowed access to KIX hence all rental car companies at KIX are closed at this moment. Currently Terminal 1 is open partially and is planned to be back to full operation on Sept. 21.

Freight facility at KIX is still not operative and the airport authority has no set date for reopening of the freight facility at KIX. Lack of freight facility is predicted to have large impact on economy. 2017 KIX handled US$ 85.8 billion or 73.5 billon Euro of freight. NRT has very large freight traffic and in no position to absorb KIX's freight traffic. NGO and FUK do not have extensive enough freight facility to absorb KIX's freight traffic. Some industries are voicing complaint toward the government focusing only on passenger traffic and totally ignoring freight traffic at KIX.
jib71 likes this.
Old Sep 20, 2018, 11:53 am

Programs: AA PtPro (2 MM); Hilton Diamond; Hertz President Cr; DL SkyMiles; UA MileagePlus
Update:

NEXCO West (West Nippon Expressway Co, Ltd.) which maintains and operates KIX auto bridge has indicated that the auto bridge will be back to full operation before 2019 Golden Week, which is first week of May 2019. The damaged bridge was removed and further inspection concluded that due to extensive damage the bridge cannot be reused. Completely new portion of the bridge need to be built. Due to active rail traffic immediate next to the bridge, the placement of the new bridge will be heavily influenced by weather condition. No word on if the current restriction on the another bridge (commercial traffic only) will continue till May 2019.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.