Typhoon Jebi floods KIX, breaks connecting bridge

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Typhoon Jebi floods KIX, breaks connecting bridge

Search this Thread

Old Sep 6, 2018, 11:34 am
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

The press release announcing the resumption of some Peach flights on Friday says the following about access to KIX:

However, with the bridge still damaged the airport also warned that trains are not operating and that private cars are not allowed. Passengers will have to use special shuttle buses that will operate from JR West’s Hineno station or Izumisano station. Shuttle ferries from Kobe will also be in operation.
I guess Rinku town, which seems to make much more sense as a shuttle point, maybe didn't want its parking lots taken over by air travelers. But it sure has a lot of space.
Old Sep 7, 2018, 2:07 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
The first flight out of KIX after Typhoon Jebi departed for Niigata at 11:49am today. Peach Aviation’s flight MM143 was one of the six domestic flights scheduled to leave KIX on Friday. In addition eleven domestic flights are scheduled to arrive in KIX.

JAL also operated one rotation between HND and KIX using T2 at KIX which had not been affected by flooding.

PHOTO: Tadayuki YOSHIKAWA/Aviation Wire
Attached Images  
Old Sep 7, 2018, 7:20 am

Originally Posted by NewbieRunner
The first flight out of KIX after Typhoon Jebi departed for Niigata at 11:49am today. Peach Aviation’s flight MM143 was one of the six domestic flights scheduled to leave KIX on Friday. In addition eleven domestic flights are scheduled to arrive in KIX.

JAL also operated one rotation between HND and KIX using T2 at KIX which had not been affected by flooding.

PHOTO: Tadayuki YOSHIKAWA/Aviation Wire
With such limited capacity, I would think that it makes more sense to focus on getting the longer flights up and running before that slightly absurd (but apparently highly profitable) HND-KIX flights. Considering how far out in the middle of nowhere that KIX is, compounded with the need to arrive at least an hour early, I really do not understand the reason so many chose flights over just taking the shinkansen for this route. Once you factor in travel time from any of the three cities served there to KIX and from HND to most of Tokyo, it seems like the train makes a lot more sense, and takes about the same amount of time. Access to/from KIX was a bit of a PITA under ideal circumstances, especially for late arrivals who miss the last train. Now with a bus transfer and limited train access, it will take even more time to get to/from KIX.
pudgym29 likes this.

Last edited by downinit; Sep 7, 2018 at 9:10 am
Old Sep 7, 2018, 8:35 am
bpe

Programs: AS, UA
Originally Posted by downinit
With such limited capacity, I would think that it makes more sense to focus on getting the longer flights up and running before that slightly absurd (but apparently highly profitable) HND-KIX flights. Considering how far out in the middle of nowhere that KIX is, compounded with the need to arrive at least an hour early, I really do no understand the reason so many chose flights over just taking the shinkansen for this route. Once you factor in travel time from any of the three cities served there to KIX and from HND to most of Tokyo, it seems like the train makes a lot more sense, and takes about the same amount of time. Access to/from KIX was a bit of a PITA under ideal circumstances, especially for late arrivals who miss the last train.
I think that the flights today were mostly just to test to see if/what is working at the airport, and maybe to position aircraft rather than try to operate a meaningful schedule. International flights also need more facilities and staff that probably aren't available yet.

(As for KIX-Tokyo or domestic flights in general, those are generally on discount carriers such as Peach where the incentive is lower fares than from ITM or by train, and for passengers connecting to international flights at KIX. Quite a lot of people also live or travel to areas south of Osaka where travel times are similar or favor KIX over ITM or even the train as well.)
Old Sep 7, 2018, 10:22 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

I agree it’s absurd for JL to fly just one rotation between HND and KIX using a terminal which is normally almost exclusively used by Peach but which has not been damaged as far as I understand. The flights were mostly symbolic, I suspect, and possibly due to unwarranted political pressure.

Prime Minister Shinzo Abe has ordered government officials to do all they can to re-open the airport as soon as possible.
https://www3.nhk.or.jp/nhkworld/en/news/20180905_36/
Old Sep 7, 2018, 10:52 am

Programs: AA PtPro (2 MM); Hilton Diamond; Hertz President Cr; DL SkyMiles; UA MileagePlus
I agree. Likely this happened because the prime minister Abe said the flights at KIX will resume in few days. Don’t want to be OMNI here but I think the prime minister said that for political reason to make it looks like he is at the top of things and make it looks like he got things done.

Just a day before the airport authority said that one runway is usable at KIX but all infrastructure of the airport need to be repaired and cannot give any set date for resumption of the operation. But because of what the prime minister said it is likely that the airport authority and airlines got pressure from above to make thing happen. Then all those airport and airlines related workers at KIX, including contract workers, were likely put on overtime and possible that were put in very demanding and difficult situation to get thing happen even though some workers could have their own home damaged by hurricane where many should have spent time with their family.
Old Sep 7, 2018, 11:07 am

Typhoon-hit Kansai airport to resume some international flights Saturday

Kansai International Airport in western Japan, which was closed on Tuesday after being damaged by the powerful Typhoon Jebi, will resume some international flights on Saturday, the airport operator said Friday.
https://asia.nikkei.com/Economy/Typh...ights-Saturday
Old Sep 7, 2018, 12:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
With such limited capacity, I would think that it makes more sense to focus on getting the longer flights up and running before that slightly absurd (but apparently highly profitable) HND-KIX flights. Considering how far out in the middle of nowhere that KIX is, compounded with the need to arrive at least an hour early, I really do not understand the reason so many chose flights over just taking the shinkansen for this route. Once you factor in travel time from any of the three cities served there to KIX and from HND to most of Tokyo, it seems like the train makes a lot more sense, and takes about the same amount of time. Access to/from KIX was a bit of a PITA under ideal circumstances, especially for late arrivals who miss the last train. Now with a bus transfer and limited train access, it will take even more time to get to/from KIX.
If you're going to Sakai or anywhere in Mie, Wakayama, or Nara, KIX is much more convenient than ITM.
Old Sep 7, 2018, 3:55 pm

Originally Posted by Pickles
If you're going to Sakai or anywhere in Mie, Wakayama, or Nara, KIX is much more convenient than ITM.
True, but I highly doubt anyone would spend $20B to build an airport for Sakai, Mie, or Wakayama.
Old Sep 7, 2018, 4:40 pm

Flights to/from KIX on Saturday, 8 September

Peach
7 international departures
5 international arrivals
15 domestic departures
16 domestic arrivals

ANA
One rotation to PVG

JAL
One rotation from HND

https://www.kansai-airport.or.jp/sit...08).pdf
Old Sep 7, 2018, 5:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
True, but I highly doubt anyone would spend $20B to build an airport for Sakai, Mie, or Wakayama.
That it was for decades a white elephant is not under dispute!
Old Sep 7, 2018, 6:41 pm

Programs: AA PtPro (2 MM); Hilton Diamond; Hertz President Cr; DL SkyMiles; UA MileagePlus
和歌山のは南紀白浜空港があり羽田に一日3便飛んでいる、三重にも知られて無いが陸上自衛隊明野駐屯地と言 うれっきとした飛行場がある。紀伊半島を馬鹿にするな。
Old Sep 8, 2018, 5:12 am

Programs: AA PPro, TP Gold, UA Silver, Bonvoy/Hilton Gold, Global Entry
Originally Posted by AlwaysAisle
和歌山のは南紀白浜空港があり羽田に一日3便飛んでいる、三重にも知られて無いが陸上自衛隊明野駐屯地と言 うれっきとした飛行場がある。紀伊半島を馬鹿にするな。
To be fair, with 3 daily flights to Haneda, Nanki Shirahama's doing a much better job than KIX right now. (too soon....?)
Old Sep 8, 2018, 5:33 am

Originally Posted by AlwaysAisle
I agree. Likely this happened because the prime minister Abe said the flights at KIX will resume in few days. Don’t want to be OMNI here but I think the prime minister said that for political reason to make it looks like he is at the top of things and make it looks like he got things done.

Just a day before the airport authority said that one runway is usable at KIX but all infrastructure of the airport need to be repaired and cannot give any set date for resumption of the operation. But because of what the prime minister said it is likely that the airport authority and airlines got pressure from above to make thing happen. Then all those airport and airlines related workers at KIX, including contract workers, were likely put on overtime and possible that were put in very demanding and difficult situation to get thing happen even though some workers could have their own home damaged by hurricane where many should have spent time with their family.
Found this article (in Japanese) which confirms the pressure from the top.

https://www.aviationwire.jp/archives/155277
Old Sep 8, 2018, 3:17 pm

Programs: IHG Gold
Here is information/schedules on the busses runnning from KIX. No rail at present, and they are saying could be a month before it resumes. Hopefully it is faster than that.

?9?8??10????????? ???????????????????????? | ????????? | ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?

Last edited by mapleg; Sep 9, 2018 at 6:00 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.