Wiki Posts
Search

Where to go other than Tokyo?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 13, 2018, 3:12 pm
bcx
Original Poster

Lightbulb Where to go other than Tokyo?

I (+wife +toddler) have 9 days in Japan in February and will spend at least 6 in Tokyo. What do I do with the other 3 days?

1) More Tokyo + day trips
2) Osaka/Kyoto (I have the option of flying into Osaka and out of Tokyo)
3) Hakone

It would be nice to see something other than Tokyo, but I also don't think the kid will be that interested in shrines or onsens. I was thinking of maybe going to Universal Studios in Osaka, but might not be necessary if we go to Disneyland / Disney Sea.
Old Aug 13, 2018, 4:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Hi,

Kyoto is on my to do list together with Osaka ( I have been to Tokyo 5 times each time for a week in different seasons and still have not visited the major museums)

Regards

TBS
Old Aug 13, 2018, 6:06 pm

spending 9 days just in tokyo region would be a shame (even though there'll be enough to do)

are you carrying the toddler, or stroller? not a fan of kyoto's (mainly) bus system compared to osaka's subway

3 days in osaka
<takuhaibin to forward luggage to tokyoa>
6 days based in tokyo

fly out of tokyo

Last edited by paperwastage; Aug 13, 2018 at 7:49 pm
Old Aug 13, 2018, 8:23 pm
bcx
Original Poster

Most likely a stroller.

The only thing I remember of Kyoto when I went 10 years ago was how crowded the bus was.

Are there any stand-out things that would be unique to Osaka and enjoyable for a 3 year old?
I've heard of takuhaibin being a godsend to those who have used it. What's the approximate cost from Osaka to Tokyo hotels?
Old Aug 14, 2018, 12:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

How old is your toddler?
My kid loved scrambling around inside Matsumoto castle.
She loved loved loved exploring the amazing wooden interiors of Akebono kodomo no mori Koen (take food to picnic, no restaurant or cafe there)
You can get a special rail pass that includes bus rides, lunch and a "submarine" trip to Misaki on the Keikyu line (Maguro pass). There's an island with lots of rock pools on the sea shore - my kid found them infinitely interesting and loved the underwater views and getting close to huge (bird) kites on the mango coloured boat.
And Showa Kinen Koen near Tachikawa is a young child's paradise (and beloved by us adults). We go back every year.
Also a delight for toddlers and adults is the Nihon Minka En.

Not at all sure what your final question about approximate cost from Osaka to Tokyo Hotels means.
jib71 and evergrn like this.
Old Aug 14, 2018, 1:32 am

Programs: Former UA Premex, now dirt
Originally Posted by LapLap
... Not at all sure what your final question about approximate cost from Osaka to Tokyo Hotels means.
I think that was about takyubin cost for that transfer.
Old Aug 14, 2018, 2:42 am

Programs: UA MM *G, NH Plat/SFC, HH Diamond, GE
Originally Posted by bcx
Are there any stand-out things that would be unique to Osaka and enjoyable for a 3 year old?
Don't know if these are stand-out things, but the Osaka Aquarium Kaiyukan is very good and the Kids Plaza museum is very popular too.
Old Aug 14, 2018, 2:45 am

Programs: UA MM *G, NH Plat/SFC, HH Diamond, GE
Originally Posted by bcx
I've heard of takuhaibin being a godsend to those who have used it. What's the approximate cost from Osaka to Tokyo hotels?
Probably less than 2000 yen for a regular sized suitcase.
Old Aug 14, 2018, 10:33 am
bcx
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LapLap
How old is your toddler?
My kid loved scrambling around inside Matsumoto castle.
She loved loved loved exploring the amazing wooden interiors of Akebono kodomo no mori Koen (take food to picnic, no restaurant or cafe there)
You can get a special rail pass that includes bus rides, lunch and a "submarine" trip to Misaki on the Keikyu line (Maguro pass). There's an island with lots of rock pools on the sea shore - my kid found them infinitely interesting and loved the underwater views and getting close to huge (bird) kites on the mango coloured boat.
And Showa Kinen Koen near Tachikawa is a young child's paradise (and beloved by us adults). We go back every year.
Also a delight for toddlers and adults is the Nihon Minka En.

Not at all sure what your final question about approximate cost from Osaka to Tokyo Hotels means.
Toddler will be 3 at that point.

Thanks for the suggestions, but to be clear, I was wondering about attractions in and around Osaka.
Old Aug 14, 2018, 2:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bcx
Thanks for the suggestions, but to be clear, I was wondering about attractions in and around Osaka.
Good luck with that!
Old Aug 20, 2018, 8:24 am

Programs: UA, NW
Originally Posted by bcx
Toddler will be 3 at that point.

Well, Lap Lap already mentioned the aquarium. There's also a reconstructed castle (the original was destroyed during World War II) with elevators to the top where you can get a good view of the city. I've taken a rather expensive but still interesting canal tour. ("Wanna go on a boat ride?")

I was in Osaka for a conference in June, and although my time there was brief and it was exhaustingly hot and humid, I did see a huge ferris wheel near Umeda.

If you haven't already done so, I suggest buying two guidebooks, one for Tokyo and one for Kyoto, which will have a section on Osaka. You know your child's interests, attention span, and general behavior in public better than anyone else does, so you may end up paging through one of these books, seeing a description of some attraction, and thinking, "That would be perfect!"
Old Aug 20, 2018, 11:13 am

I think the Osaka/Kyoto recommendation is a good one. I am also a fan of Sapporo and Hiroshima - they are less touristy so you get a "native" feel for the cities. Nara may be a good side trip from Osaka - I spent a half day there before an afternoon flight from KIX on one trip.
Old Aug 20, 2018, 10:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Credit to groovbusta for the Osaka Aquarium suggestion, not me. Haven't been to Osaka for over 10 years. And never as a parent.
My own kid loved sento and onsen as a three year old. So I would be looking up one of the many "Super Sento" in the Osaka area.
One of the most toddler friendly facilities seems to be one called "SpaWorld" which features a water park for the very young.
I know there's a sento somewhere in Kansai that replicates the Dead Sea so that you can't help but float, but I bet that's nasty if it gets in your eyes. Would be wonderful for some three year olds, a nightmare for others.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 1:16 am

If you're visiting Kobe and need to fill an afternoon, Nunobiki herb gardens can be a pleasant cable car ride and downhill stroll before dinner. Your kid will have a blast with the scents in the top 'tasting room'.

The walk down can be steep in places but the garden plots are nice and there's a foot pool at the conservatory mid-hill (when open). You might check which flowers are in season.

If you're getting an ICOCA card, make sure it's the Kansai One Pass version for tourists, which has entry discounts to the gardens and other places like Himeji Castle and Kyoto Aquarium.

Last edited by FlitBen; Aug 21, 2018 at 1:36 am
Old Aug 21, 2018, 2:14 am
Suspended

I wouldn't bother with Universal Studios. I'd instead give at least 2 full days to Disney area. 1 day for DL and 1 day for DisneySea. If your budget allows, opt for MiraCosta. I love that hotel and the access it gives guests.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.