Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Where to go other than Tokyo?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 23, 2018, 8:17 pm
bcx
Original Poster

Thanks for the suggestions. It looks like I'll be planning 3 days in the Kansai region before heading to Tokyo (MiraCosta looks great, but I've already booked a hotel near Shinagawa station).

I feel like I can realistically plan to do one or two things per day with the uncertainty of toddler behaviour. Getting any more done would be gravy. With that in mind, would a good base be Osaka or Kyoto? Seems like near Shin Osaka would be good for jumping on the Shinkansen but not much else.

Last edited by bcx; Aug 23, 2018 at 8:18 pm Reason: Added more words
Old Aug 23, 2018, 10:24 pm

Programs: Former UA Premex, now dirt
Originally Posted by bcx
... Seems like near Shin Osaka would be good for jumping on the Shinkansen but not much else.
It is just an uninteresting commercial area. I have stayed there but only because I wanted to catch the shinkansen for a long trip early the next morning. If you don't need easy access to the train, I'd look elsewhere.

You will get different opinions. I am a Kyoto fan but others here like Osaka. You can find good options in both cities. I think easy access to the only JR station is a plus for Kyoto if you will be doing any day trips out of town, such as to Nara, Himeji or Hikone.
NeufvilleTravel likes this.
Old Aug 23, 2018, 11:20 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by bcx
Thanks for the suggestions. It looks like I'll be planning 3 days in the Kansai region before heading to Tokyo (MiraCosta looks great, but I've already booked a hotel near Shinagawa station).

I feel like I can realistically plan to do one or two things per day with the uncertainty of toddler behaviour. Getting any more done would be gravy. With that in mind, would a good base be Osaka or Kyoto? Seems like near Shin Osaka would be good for jumping on the Shinkansen but not much else.
I think Kyoto is a better base than Osaka. I like both places but Kyoto is one of my favorite cities in the world and I'd just feel better getting to wake up there, as opposed to Osaka.
NeufvilleTravel likes this.
Old Aug 24, 2018, 8:52 am

Programs: UA, NW
Another possibility for a couple with a three-year-old is Nara because of two things: the tame deer that wander around begging to be fed (vendors sell special crackers to feed them with) and the hole in the pillar at Todaiji in front of the Great Buddha of Nara. Supposedly crawling through the pillar guarantees enlightenment in one's next life--and you have to be either quite slender or a child to manage the feat. All the major sites are located in a park-like setting, which might make for a more relaxing outing if that is what you need. It's a 30-minute train ride from Kyoto Station.

But again, you know your child better than anyone else does.
Old Aug 24, 2018, 9:47 am

Programs: UA LTG, AA LTG, Bonvoy LTP, IHG Plat, LHW Sterling
Since it will be February, how about something snow related up in the Japanese Alps?
Old Aug 27, 2018, 1:11 pm

Programs: AA 2MM & Plat for Life, Marriott Gold for Life, Mmbr of all Hotel Pref Partner Prgrms for Clients
I agree with others re Kyoto being a better base than Osaka. It’s a much more interesting and more beautiful city with more to see and do. From there you can easily take day trips to Nara, Uji, and even Osaka. Also, you can take the shinkansen from Kyoto Station directly to Shinagawa - no change of trains required.
Old Aug 27, 2018, 9:02 pm

Programs: AA EXPlat, 2.4MM; HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by ksandness
Another possibility for a couple with a three-year-old is Nara because of two things: the tame deer that wander around begging to be fed (vendors sell special crackers to feed them with) and the hole in the pillar at Todaiji in front of the Great Buddha of Nara. Supposedly crawling through the pillar guarantees enlightenment in one's next life--and you have to be either quite slender or a child to manage the feat. All the major sites are located in a park-like setting, which might make for a more relaxing outing if that is what you need. It's a 30-minute train ride from Kyoto Station.

But again, you know your child better than anyone else does.
Definitely Nara, great for kids.
And Hakone has an interesting Japanese historical theme park that would be great for kids AND adults.
Old Aug 28, 2018, 1:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by catcher1
And Hakone has an interesting Japanese historical theme park that would be great for kids AND adults.
Which park are you referring to? Have to admit I’m scratching my head trying to work out which one you mean?
Old Aug 28, 2018, 9:15 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by LapLap
Which park are you referring to? Have to admit I’m scratching my head trying to work out which one you mean?
Natural Hot Springs Theme Park
Old Aug 28, 2018, 10:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Hakone Kowakien Yunessun.

Really?

Hard to think of it as a park. Much harder still to think of it as historical.
Old Aug 28, 2018, 10:25 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond; IHG Platinum; Bonvoy Gold; AA Platinum Pro and United Premier Silver (DH = AA EXP)
I'm a huge fan of Osaka. One of the highlights of our Japan trip from a couple years back. Stayed at the IC Osaka - great service and it was super convenient to everything - shopping, trains, sightseeing, etc. I would not hesitate to go back.
Old Aug 28, 2018, 10:37 am

Programs: AA EXPlat, 2.4MM; HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by kapooncha
Natural Hot Springs Theme Park
My apologies, I was confused. The park I was thinking of is the Edo Wonderland, in Nikko not Hakone. Very sorry.
LapLap likes this.
Old Aug 28, 2018, 9:07 pm

Originally Posted by FlitBen
If you're visiting Kobe and need to fill an afternoon, Nunobiki herb gardens can be a pleasant cable car ride and downhill stroll before dinner. Your kid will have a blast with the scents in the top 'tasting room'.
I love that place. But I will just add that I think you'd need 90min max up there, unless you decide to have a meal up there.
Old Aug 29, 2018, 3:24 am

Originally Posted by evergrn
I love that place. But I will just add that I think you'd need 90min max up there, unless you decide to have a meal up there.
Yea, it's wonderful in all senses. There's also a kid-tastic sandwich and ice cream counter for those in a rush and they do decent takeaway coffees. When we return, I'm going to take a cup down the winding gardens, but only after my nose has been fragranced silly.
evergrn likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.