Wiki Posts
Search

Where to stay in Northern Kyushu/ Fukuoka Kitakyushu

Search this Thread

Old Jul 28, 2018, 2:07 am
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by VoiD
Never rode on shinkansen so this would be a good opportunity.
If I were to take tokaido-sanyo shinkansen and transfer to JR kagoshima line to tobata, is it a free transfer or a separate ticket?
there is no free transfer in japan besides the tokyo NEX/Skyliner+jr/metro pass or the osaka equivalent if it exist.

Normally what happens is you buy a Hakata-Tobata ticket then an additional supplement for hakata-kokura on SKS.
HOWEVER, because theres is an alternative routing for Hakata-Tobata, (local or ltd express on the slow lines direct train) the base fare ought to be different (I dont know more or less. but should be VERY close either way).

So the safe way to do it is to go to the green window ticket office (Midori-no-madoguchi, literally means "green window") and ask for a ticket (or 2) to Tobata via Kokura on Shinkansen. Hakata station should have english speaking staff to assist that so if that's how you want to be back, i would buy the return ticket there too.

If you've bought a through ticket then you cant stop at Kokura and look around... you would have to buy the tickets seperately for the Hakata-Kokura leg and Kokura-Tobata leg. (but you dont have to return the same way - you go split the ticket on 1 direction and connect through on the return and buy all tickets in 1 go in Hakata).

PS What are you having for dinner that took you to Tobata may i ask?
VoiD likes this.
Old Jul 28, 2018, 9:38 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Glob, Marriott Plat, AA EXP, UA Gold
Wow. Thank you for the detailed information. Yeah I should get separate tickets going and one through ticket coming back.
I'm going to Teru sushi which is about 15min walk from tobata station.

Originally Posted by kaka
there is no free transfer in japan besides the tokyo NEX/Skyliner+jr/metro pass or the osaka equivalent if it exist.

Normally what happens is you buy a Hakata-Tobata ticket then an additional supplement for hakata-kokura on SKS.
HOWEVER, because theres is an alternative routing for Hakata-Tobata, (local or ltd express on the slow lines direct train) the base fare ought to be different (I dont know more or less. but should be VERY close either way).

So the safe way to do it is to go to the green window ticket office (Midori-no-madoguchi, literally means "green window") and ask for a ticket (or 2) to Tobata via Kokura on Shinkansen. Hakata station should have english speaking staff to assist that so if that's how you want to be back, i would buy the return ticket there too.

If you've bought a through ticket then you cant stop at Kokura and look around... you would have to buy the tickets seperately for the Hakata-Kokura leg and Kokura-Tobata leg. (but you dont have to return the same way - you go split the ticket on 1 direction and connect through on the return and buy all tickets in 1 go in Hakata).

PS What are you having for dinner that took you to Tobata may i ask?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.