Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Japan
Reload this Page >

Tokyo for a Day: Been there, done that--Now What?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 24, 2018, 11:27 am
Original Poster

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE

We will be in Tokyo for two nights/three days. We will have only one "full day," and are thinking of an outing. We have already been to Nikko, Nara, Hakone, Kyoto, and have wandered about central Tokyo.

Might anyone care to share some can't-miss ideas for a day trip from Tokyo?

Many thanks!
Old Jul 24, 2018, 11:55 am

Programs: Former UA Premex, now dirt
If you haven't been there, I'd recommend a walking day in the YaNeSen (Yanaka, Nezu, Sendagi) area of Tokyo. This is an old, more traditional part of the city that is chock full of old temples, shrines, gardens and shops. I found a LOT to photograph there and also found the best little rice cracker bakery I've ever experienced. That was serendipity as I noticed the line of locals waiting for the sidewalk sales window to open. Fresh and warm from the oven, they were heaven. These neighborhoods are a peaceful, quiet refuge from the madness of central Tokyo.
Old Jul 24, 2018, 12:03 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Hike up Mt Takao maybe. It's about a 90 minute hike to the top from Takao-san-guchi station. There's also the experimental forest and the tombs of the emperors in Takao, although those are best around cherry blossom season.

I also liked Enoshima, which can be combined with Kamakura on a longish day trip.

If you're into museums, the Japan National History museum near Keisei Sakura station is interesting.
747FC likes this.
Old Jul 24, 2018, 1:23 pm

Programs: AA PtPro (2 MM); Hilton Diamond; Hertz President Cr; DL SkyMiles; UA MileagePlus
I am biased because I love ocean.

Enoshima/Kamakura area, but if you want to see Kamakura in detail then will recommend to skip Enoshima if it is a day trip,

Miura Peninsula, Take Keikyu Line to the end of the line, Misakiguchi and head to the southern end of Miura Peninsula, Jougashima (Jouga Island). There is a small fish market nearby before the island.

Go east passing Narita and head to Choshi and Cape Inubo. Choshi has pretty decent size fish market.

If you wish to just tour around then take JR Yokosuka Line or Keikyu Line to Kurihama. Take Tokyo Bay Ferry from Kurihama to Kanaya enjoy cruise across Tokyo Bay.Can enjoy city of Kurihama little before taking a ferry.Kanaya is a small town on Boso peninsula.Take JR Uchibo Line back to Tokyo.This is more for if you enjoy the journey rather than the destination.

Don't forget Mt. Fuji which is a day trip from Tokyo. Popular destination since became World Heritage Site.
747FC likes this.

Last edited by AlwaysAisle; Jul 24, 2018 at 1:37 pm
Old Jul 24, 2018, 1:48 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro, SPG Gold, Hilton Diamond
You might think about heading to Ome city and touring the Sawanoi Sake brewery. It's in a beautiful wooded area and has hiking paths in the area. The brewery tour is in Japanese but they give you an English handout and you can pretty easily follow along. Needless to say, there are tasting opportunities after.

Sawanoi Brewery
747FC likes this.
Old Jul 24, 2018, 2:55 pm
Original Poster

Thank You!

Really awesome ideas! Many thanks for spending the time to share these thoughts. We will have to study our options. We may be able to do several of these in our half-and-full days.

Thanks again!
Old Jul 24, 2018, 5:48 pm

Programs: Delta
Some itineraries here. Lots of other good information on this site if you poke around a bit.
https://www.japan-guide.com/e/e3051.html
Old Jul 24, 2018, 7:45 pm

Programs: AA Plat, CX Silver
Originally Posted by abmj-jr
If you haven't been there, I'd recommend a walking day in the YaNeSen (Yanaka, Nezu, Sendagi) area of Tokyo. This is an old, more traditional part of the city that is chock full of old temples, shrines, gardens and shops. I found a LOT to photograph there and also found the best little rice cracker bakery I've ever experienced. That was serendipity as I noticed the line of locals waiting for the sidewalk sales window to open. Fresh and warm from the oven, they were heaven. These neighborhoods are a peaceful, quiet refuge from the madness of central Tokyo.
Came here to say this. If you can find a copy, "Tokyo: Exploring the City of the Shogun" has a solid self-guided walking tour of the area, though I'm sure there are others available. One of my favorite parts of Tokyo.
747FC likes this.
Old Jul 24, 2018, 8:23 pm

I second the Kamakura/Enoshima idea. That might be your best bet.
747FC likes this.
Old Jul 24, 2018, 9:11 pm

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, AAdvantage, Southwest, HHonors, National
Originally Posted by txflyer77
Came here to say this. If you can find a copy, "Tokyo: Exploring the City of the Shogun" has a solid self-guided walking tour of the area, though I'm sure there are others available. One of my favorite parts of Tokyo.
I third this suggestion. I think my highlight was at Nezu shrine, where their torii tunnel reminded me of Fushimi Inari. Old Tokyo - Nezu Shrine

Lots of quaint little shops in the area and where I found the most interesting souvenir from my last trip. It was ceramic tea cup with a bell inside the base. Looking forward to coming here again on my upcoming trip.
747FC likes this.

Last edited by Gradfly; Jul 25, 2018 at 6:20 am Reason: typo
Old Jul 24, 2018, 11:23 pm

Programs: Former UA Premex, now dirt
Originally Posted by Gradfly
I third this suggestion. I think my highlight was at Nezu shrine, where their torii tunnel reminded me of Fushimi Inari. Old Tokyo - Nezu Shrine
The last time I visited Nezu Shrine, I found a traditional Japanese wedding in progress. The whole nine yards - bride in full white shiromuku kimono and hood, groom in formal black kimono and hakama and many of the guests in kimono as well. Very photogenic and beautiful, even from a respectful distance.
747FC likes this.
Old Jul 25, 2018, 1:32 am

Programs: AA Platinum, HH Diamond, Delta Platinum
Yokohama! 30 min ride from Tokyo.
747FC likes this.
Old Jul 25, 2018, 1:34 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by abmj-jr
Originally Posted by Gradfly

Lots of quaint little shops in the area and where I found the most interesting souvenir from my last trip. It was ceramic tea cup with a bell inside the base. Looking forward to coming her again on my upcoming trip.
Wow..The multiple recommendations, and.that picture of the Nezu shrine, has me going there on the day I arrive (very early in the AM) in Tokyo. Thanks.
LapLap likes this.
Old Jul 25, 2018, 3:40 am

Programs: AY, SQ, EK
Have done a couple of day trips to the islands - highly recommended:

Hahcijojima
https://gotokyo.org/en/destinations/...jojima-island/
- ANA fly from HND - fly out in the morning, back in the afternoon. Easiest way to get around is by taxi - just ask someone to drive you around the south side and then up to the peak.

Niijima
Niijima Island's Perfect Guide - Explore Niijima today!
- New Central Air Service fly from Chofu (train to Chofu station and then bus / taxi); day trip possible; for booking, probably need a Japanese speaker, can't remember whether foreign credit cards work
https://central-air.co.jp
747FC likes this.
Old Jul 25, 2018, 5:52 am
Carlson Contributor Badge

Programs: M&M FTL, Miles+Bonus Gold
Maybe you want to visit JAL or ANA hangars from HND?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.