Reload this Page >

Haneda to Shinjuku Opera City - Most efficient route

Old Jul 23, 2018, 1:14 am
Original Poster

Programs: SAS Eurobonus - Blue / Emirates Skywards - Blue

Hi all,

I'm coming in to town next Sunday for the special 1 day Star Wars screening with live orchestral Flying in from MYJ on the early morning flight and need to be over there for 11am. I then after 21:45 have to get back to Haenda for a night in the First Cabin Haneda before getting the early morning flight back down to MYJ.

Just wanted to check with the wisdom of the crowd -

Is there any more efficient route than Monorail -> Hamumatsuchou -> Yamanote to Shinjuku then transfer to Keio Line or get taxi depending on time left.

Obviously the same in return - want to make sure I get back before Haneda shuts down for the night.

-mrploddy

PS First Cabin Haneda is a steal at 6,000 yen!
Old Jul 23, 2018, 8:30 am

Programs: UA, NW
According to Google Maps, the closest subway station to Opera City is Hatsudai on the New Keio Line out of Shinjuku Station. There are other feasible routes, but they all require getting one's self to Shinjuku first.

I would take the monorail to Hamamatsu-cho or the Keikyu Line to Shinagawa and then the Yamanote to Shinjuku, and then the New Keio Line to Hatsudai. Hamamatsu-cho to Shinjuku is 18 minutes on the Yamanote Line.
Old Jul 23, 2018, 10:53 am

Programs: AA PtPro (2 MM); Hilton Diamond; Hertz President Cr; DL SkyMiles; UA MileagePlus
I would take Keikyu Line (京急) from Haneda airport to Shinagawa, transfer to Yamanote Line at Shinagawa to Shinjuku.

As mentioned Tokyo Opera City is right at Hatsudai station. If you want to go direct to Hatsudai Station then take Keikyu express train bound for Shinagawa from Haneda airport. This train will continue on to Toei Subway Asakusa Line, no change of train nor transfer required. Take Keikyu line from Haneda airport to Higashi-Nihonbashi.

At Higashi-Nihonbashi transfer to Bakuro-Yokoyama station of Toei Subway Shinjuku Line. Take a train toward Shinjuku, this train will continue service to Keio Line (京王), no transfer nor change if train required. Take directly to Hatsudai which is next station from Shinjuku.

Also on 53rd fl. of Tokyo Opera City is Matsusaka Beef restaurant Yoshida, which Matsusake Beef dinner course starts from 15,000 yen per person. I personally like Matsusaka Beef better than Kobe Beef...
kaka likes this.

Last edited by AlwaysAisle; Jul 23, 2018 at 11:23 am
Old Jul 23, 2018, 12:14 pm

Programs: American Express got a hit man lookin' for me
There's also very regular limousine bus service between Haneda and Shinjuku. The buses to Shinjuku Station/West drop off basically right in front of the Keio station, and the Expressway Bus Terminal at the JR station is only a few minutes' walk away. The bus goes through the domestic terminals to/from the international terminal, so it is a particularly fast option to/from the domestic terminals (30-35 minutes), somewhat less so to/from the international terminal.
Old Jul 23, 2018, 12:37 pm

Programs: AA PtPro (2 MM); Hilton Diamond; Hertz President Cr; DL SkyMiles; UA MileagePlus
Yes, I agree Limousine Bus is most efficient (less stress because of no transfer) between Haneda Airport and Shinjuku. Since opening of underground Central Loop 2 toll way traffic delay has become much less between Haneda airport and Shinjuku. But I think for most people it boil downs to cost.

One way between Haneda Airport and Shinjuku:

Keikyu and Yamanote Line: 610 yen

Monorail and Yamanote Line: 690 yen

Limousine Bus: 1230 yen
Old Jul 23, 2018, 7:59 pm
mjm
Original Member

I would take a taxi if it is work related (but likely even if it weren't too). There is no public transportation which beats that option.
Old Jul 23, 2018, 11:37 pm

+1 for Limousine Bus.
Old Jul 24, 2018, 2:00 am
Original Poster

Apparently the change between Yamanote and Keio line at Shinjuku is a bit of a mare - how much of a route march is it ?

On the way back which do you think is probably going to be the "safest" route back ? (In terms of not waiting forever for something and getting back to Haneda on time)

Don't really want to be wandering Tokyo's streets too much at past ten at night :/ (for clarity - I am a bloke so can handle myself but after having been up since 6am to get a flight from the Inaka and spendig most of the day in a confined concert hall seat I'll be exhausted so want to get to my "cabin" at First Cabin Haneda ASAP )

Last edited by mrploddy; Jul 24, 2018 at 2:07 am
Old Jul 24, 2018, 4:32 am

Keio Line Shinjuku station can be little confusing if you are not familiar of the layout of Keio Line's Shinjuku station. Technically there are two stations operate as one.

The main station for Keio Line's Shinjuku station is three track terminus station located right below Keio Department Store easily accessed from west side of JR Shinjuku central exit. Keio Line trains departing from this main terminus station DO NOT MAKE STOP AT HATSUDAI STATION. First stop for trains departing from this main terminus station is Sasazuka.

There is another Keio Line Shinjuku station called Shin-sen Shinjuku (新線新宿) where this station is located below Koshu Kaido street (甲州街道) and located near South exit of JR Shinjuku station. This station is two tracks single platform station where trains make through service continuing to Toei Subway Shinjuku Line. TRAINS FROM THIS STSTION MAKE STOP AT HATSUDAI STATION.

It can be little confusing for first timer not familiar with the area.

If you choose route of transfer between Toei Subway Asakusa Line and Toei Subway Shinjuku Line as I mentioned on previous post then trains make through service to Keio Line without transfer at Shinjuku and take you to Hatsudai Station.
kaka likes this.
Old Jul 24, 2018, 7:08 am

Programs: American Express got a hit man lookin' for me
Originally Posted by mrploddy
On the way back which do you think is probably going to be the "safest" route back ? (In terms of not waiting forever for something and getting back to Haneda on time)
In descending order:
(1) Taxi. But expect to pay something like 7,000 yen.
(2) Limousine bus from Shinjuku west exit or expressway bus terminal.
(3) Yamanote Line or Oedo Line to Hamamatsucho, then change to monorail
Old Jul 24, 2018, 7:24 am

Yes, taxi will be most convenient. However, if OP is staying at First Cabin at Haneda Terminal 1 to save money then taking taxi between Haneda airport and Tokyo Opera City will make hole thing moot point, that what I thought...

Anyway, taxi fare between Shinjuku ward and Haneda Airport is fixed rate. If you hail taxi before 22:00 then it is 7100 yen, if you hail taxi after 22:00 then it is late night fare of 8500 yen. Both cases highway toll will be added, if they add cash toll price then it is additional 1300 yen for toll.

For that price, then why not find business hotel in Shiinjuku area rather then going back to Haneda airport for First Cabin.
jib71 likes this.
Old Jul 24, 2018, 9:29 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by AlwaysAisle
Yes, taxi will be most convenient. However, if OP is staying at First Cabin at Haneda Terminal 1 to save money then taking taxi between Haneda airport and Tokyo Opera City will make hole thing moot point, that what I thought...

Anyway, taxi fare between Shinjuku ward and Haneda Airport is fixed rate. If you hail taxi before 22:00 then it is 7100 yen, if you hail taxi after 22:00 then it is late night fare of 8500 yen. Both cases highway toll will be added, if they add cash toll price then it is additional 1300 yen for toll.

For that price, then why not find business hotel in Shiinjuku area rather then going back to Haneda airport for First Cabin.
I'm on JL431 in the morning (hopefully you can see why I took the First Cabin now...) - dont fancy waking up on time and getting over to Haneda to make that fliight (BA miles reservation) - thought about the 09:25 flight but by the time I get back in to town the day is half gone - would rather sleep on the plane and then at least stil have some of the morning left by the time I get back home.

I'm doing this trip on the cheap because I've got a trip with Mrs Mrploddy and Miss Mrploddy to the UK coming in September so can't be too extravagent. (well..the ticket was 32,000.....Star Wars 1 day special live orchestra concert.....)
Old Jul 29, 2018, 2:45 am
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by AlwaysAisle
I would take Keikyu Line (京急) from Haneda airport to Shinagawa, transfer to Yamanote Line at Shinagawa to Shinjuku.

As mentioned Tokyo Opera City is right at Hatsudai station. If you want to go direct to Hatsudai Station then take Keikyu express train bound for Shinagawa from Haneda airport. This train will continue on to Toei Subway Asakusa Line, no change of train nor transfer required. Take Keikyu line from Haneda airport to Higashi-Nihonbashi.

At Higashi-Nihonbashi transfer to Bakuro-Yokoyama station of Toei Subway Shinjuku Line. Take a train toward Shinjuku, this train will continue service to Keio Line (京王), no transfer nor change if train required. Take directly to Hatsudai which is next station from Shinjuku.

Also on 53rd fl. of Tokyo Opera City is Matsusaka Beef restaurant Yoshida, which Matsusake Beef dinner course starts from 15,000 yen per person. I personally like Matsusaka Beef better than Kobe Beef...
this, or the 2 transit option on the Toei Lines (via Jimbocho and Mita*; or via Shinjuku and Daimon)

It's a 6 minutes walk at Higashi-Nihombashi (according to Hyperdia) plus a 10 minute longer journey vs Jimbocho and Mita. *this one avoids a 6 minute walk at higashi-nihombashi and also changing trains at Shinjiku. However, I think the change at Shinjuku for the Keio/Toei Shinjuku line to Oedo line isnt too bad if you do the right thing.

tbh i would take one of these options if you dont want to take a bus

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.