Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Japan
Reload this Page >

In to NRT, out of HND, bus or subway or JR help!

Old Jul 1, 2018, 5:15 pm
Original Poster

Tokyo is confusing me on basic travel options! Three of us are arriving at NRT, staying for 4 days, leaving out of HND. We are staying at the Tokyo Hilton, and after a lot of searching I think the limousine bus is the best option on arrival. I've seen that there's a option to buy limousine plus subway/metro tickets at the airport, which looks like a savings. We are flying out of HND, and I think there are similar savings on the way to HND. But is so confusing!

If we buy the NRT 2 bus tickets plus 48 hours subway ticket, is that one person for 48 hours or could we split that with two people? Is that one person from the airport and back, or could that be two people from the airport? If we get the Y6000 for 2 bus plus 72 hours subway, again, can that be split for 3 people 24 hours each? Does the 24/48/72 hours start when you get on the bus, or when you use the tickets? We love to walk, so we could easily spend a day just wandering around.

And, if you are patient enough to answer all these questions, these "subway" tickets that they sell, are they JR or subway (or suica or pasmo, those things I haven't even started to learn about yet!!).

Thank you! As someone who has traveled a lot but never to Tokyo, this is all a bit intimidating!
Old Jul 1, 2018, 7:36 pm
tt7

First question - which Hilton (there are three). Presumably Shinjuku?

I assume the pass you're referring to is this one? Bus & Subway Pass

The standard bus fare one way is Ą3,100 / Ą4,500 return. Although not explicit, the pass is presumably a round-trip ticket + a 3 day subway pass for Ą6,000. However, it would appear to be designed for one person - there would be no way to 'split' the subway pass (or probably the bus ticket). The subway pass will only cover the subway and not JR (or private line) trains.

Alternatively, there's a multi-ticket option - NRT multi voucher for Ą8,000. It gives you 4 bus tickets so even if you only use 3 of them (Ą2,666 each) it's cheaper than a regular one way ticket. I don't know if you can do a 'return' bus ticket from Narita but returning to Haneda.

If you don't get a combined bus/subway pass, get a Suica. It's a prepaid/rechargeable travel card. You can use it on the subway, buses and JR and private line trains, as well as use it at convenience stores, vending machines, cafes etc. - much, much easier than trying to buy a ticket each time you get on the subway. If you get a Suica, you can get to Haneda by taking the train (JR Yamanote line from Shinjuku to Hamamatsucho and the monorail from there to Haneda).
Old Jul 1, 2018, 7:42 pm
tt7

Suica

How To Buy A Suica
Old Jul 1, 2018, 7:57 pm
tt7

As an alternative to the Limousine Bus (which has the advantage of, eventually, dropping you at your hotel) you could take the Narita Express to Shinjuku (~80 minutes, Ą3,190) or the Keisei Skyliner to Nippori (~ 35 minutes) and then the JR Yamanote Line to Shinjuku (~22 minutes) (Ą2,670). Keisei Skyliner/JR Yamanote line is the quickest.
Old Jul 1, 2018, 10:33 pm

Programs: UA plat, , aa plat, marriott LT titanium
There is also a 1000 yen bus which I only found out about after 3 visits - Narita to Tokyo Station (it also returns from Ginza not sure if it drops off there)

Expressway Bus: Tokyo Sta. - Narita Airport of 1000 yen | Tokyo Shuttle | Keisei Bus
Old Jul 1, 2018, 10:35 pm

Programs: UA plat, , aa plat, marriott LT titanium
There is also a 1000 yen bus which I only found out about after 3 visits - Narita to Tokyo Station (it also returns from Ginza not sure if it drops off there)

Expressway Bus: Tokyo Sta. - Narita Airport of 1000 yen | Tokyo Shuttle | Keisei Bus

Also if the 24/48/72 hour ticket is the touch and go type I don't see why it matters who uses it - afaik there is no identity check when you use the pass.
Old Jul 2, 2018, 6:35 am

Programs: SQ TPP, LH SEN
Originally Posted by estnet

Also if the 24/48/72 hour ticket is the touch and go type I don't see why it matters who uses it - afaik there is no identity check when you use the pass.
It doesn't matter who uses it but it's not clear from the OP if they mean that each person uses it for a day or if they could allocate the 72 hours such that 3pp use it 24hrs each at the same time... I rather think it's the latter but i have no idea.
Old Jul 2, 2018, 6:56 am
Original Poster

Trying to figure out if we can each use the pass on the same day—-instead of one person for three days can it be three people for one (the same) day. It looks like there is a savings for multiple purchases but not if we just do one limo ticket + 24 hour pass?
Old Jul 2, 2018, 2:09 pm

Programs: Dirt
The bus+subway package contains a round trip to/from Narita Airport and a subway pass card. I doubt you can convince the ticketing agent to let you use the round trip as two one way rides to the city. Also Japan's train system requires every passenger to have a separate ticket, the chance is pretty close to nil that two people can share one pass to ride the train at the same time. The package does not seem like a fit for you.

I'd just get the multi voucher to get to the Hilton, then get an ic card from the nearest station, which are Tochomae or Nishi-Shinjuku. They are subway stations and sell Pasmo cards.
Old Jul 2, 2018, 5:01 pm
tt7

+1 to everything msb0b said....

Suica cards are sold by JR East. Pasmo cards are sold by the non-JR train companies (of which there are quite a few, including the subway) in Tokyo. Suica and Pasmo work inter-changeably so it doesn't really matter which you get. Note that the ticket machines only take cash.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.