Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Japan
Reload this Page >

Sending luggage between airports (was: from KIX to HND)

Old Jun 5, 2018, 6:38 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Discoverist

I'll be flying from SFO into KIX and then flying out from HND to BKK ten days later. I may be carrying a bag that I won't need access to in Japan.

Is there a service at KIX whwe I could drop off my bag on arrival, they hold it for 8-9 days and forward it to HND, and then let I collect it at HND before my departing flight, all for a reasonable fee? If so, what is that service and where is it located at KIX?

I have used TA-Q-BIN before to send luggage from hotel to hotel but I've never shipped anything to or from airports. Thanks.
Old Jun 5, 2018, 10:31 am

Programs: Tokyo Monorail Diamond-Encrusted-Platinum
Originally Posted by jphripjah
I'll be flying from SFO into KIX and then flying out from HND to BKK ten days later.
Great question. Yamato, ABC, or Post Office could ship from KIX to HND, but I'm not sure how long they will hold luggage. If they don't store for that long (or if they want to charge you for storage), you could send the bag to your last hotel - and let the hotel know that you're sending it . Most hotels will be happy to hold your bag for a week for no charge.
Old Jun 5, 2018, 11:58 am

Programs: AMEX AC CX UA AA DL
Maximum post-dated delivery for Yamato or other courier companies is 7 days. Delivery from Osaka to Tokyo is next day, but delivery to an airport requires an additional day.

Post office delivery is 10 day post-dated, IIRC.

>> Most hotels will be happy to hold your bag for a week for no charge.

4 or 5 * hotels, in between your stays, yes. Otherwise... unlikely.
Old Jun 5, 2018, 5:44 pm

Originally Posted by beep88
I've done this at lower grade hotels without bookending stays.
Old Jun 5, 2018, 10:07 pm

Yes some budget hotels allow it. But it's becoming harder due to inconsiderate travellers from certain neighbouring countries/territories.

Toyoko Inn:

Yes, we can keep your belongings from the morning of your check-in date until check-in. You can also leave your belongings at the front desk after check-out until the end of the day. However, by the situation are limited, so please contact the hotel beforehand.
Old Jun 6, 2018, 3:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Surely, in this case, it isn't necessary for a hotel to hold on to any luggage.

My understanding is the same info provided by beep88, that Takkyubin companies will deliver on a given date up to 7 days in advance.

Either one can have the luggage delivered to the held luggage/luggage storage facility at HND on the 7th day and then pay an additional 800yen per day fee for each large bag (but to do this one would probably have to email them first to ensure that they would accept the bag in the first place)

Or

Send luggage by takkyubin from NRT to wherever you will be on a given date (anywhere between 3 and 7 days later) and then immediately have the luggage sent on by takkyubin to HND.

Both options would cost about the same.
Old Jun 6, 2018, 5:30 am

Toyoko Inn
Another reason to avoid Toyoko Inn. I no longer mention Toyoko's past offenses on these pages, but I'll never be persuaded to stay at one.

Originally Posted by LapLap
Surely, in this case, it isn't necessary for a hotel to hold on to any luggage.
Either
Or
Both options would cost about the same.
I thought that you of all people would appreciate my attempt to find a way to do it for less.
LapLap likes this.
Old Jun 6, 2018, 6:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jib71
I thought that you of all people would appreciate my attempt to find a way to do it for less.
Absolutely. But this is comes under my minuscule honourable exceptions list.
Hauling huge bags around for no reason tempts back injury. Halving a double takkyubin fee (thus saving about Ą2,000) is potentially a false economy.
jib71 likes this.
Old Jun 6, 2018, 11:04 am

Hauling huge bags around for no reason tempts back injury.
And this is probably the crucial point. If it's huge luggage that the OP never wants to lug, then I'm with you, If it's just a redundant but not particularly heavy bag that the OP would like someone else to take care of, then I prefer my more frugal approach.
LapLap likes this.
Old Jun 7, 2018, 10:18 pm

Another reason to avoid Toyoko Inn. I no longer mention Toyoko's past offenses on these pages, but I'll never be persuaded to stay at one.
I quoted Toyoko Inn because that's the one with posted English policies. Many other chain and independent hotels at locations popular with tourists from certain countries/territories have similar rules... like max 3 days in between stays.

One hotel in Shinjuku has signs in elevators that say 3000 yen disposal fee will be charged for abandoned suitcases. People bought new 5000yen full size case at the infamous Ginza store, and left their old one behind when they check out.
Old Jun 11, 2018, 5:58 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Great question. Yamato, ABC, or Post Office could ship from KIX to HND, but I'm not sure how long they will hold luggage. If they don't store for that long (or if they want to charge you for storage), you could send the bag to your last hotel - and let the hotel know that you're sending it . Most hotels will be happy to hold your bag for a week for no charge.

Maximum post-dated delivery for Yamato or other courier companies is 7 days. Delivery from Osaka to Tokyo is next day, but delivery to an airport requires an additional day.

Post office delivery is 10 day post-dated, IIRC.

Thanks. Is there a post office shipping outlet at KIX and pick up point at HND? Do you know where they are and would this be relatively easy to do?
Old Jun 11, 2018, 2:55 pm

Airport Yu-Pack Airport Yu-Pack; Japan Post
List of Airports handling Airport Yu-Pack List of airports handling Airport Yu-Pack; Japan Post
LapLap likes this.
Old Jun 13, 2018, 12:52 am

Programs: HH Diamond, GHA Titanium
I've done this at lower grade hotels without bookending stays.
Data point from me -- Most recently in February, APA Hotel Kanda Ekimae front desk staff were most unwilling to hold my luggage, but eventually agreed only because I had a bookending stay.

So it seems that the common "let the hotel store your luggage" advice that we dole out should really be tempered with a disclaimer that (some) business/chain hotels may not be as willing to do so as they used to in the past.
LapLap likes this.
Old Jun 13, 2018, 2:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

May also be worth knowing that many hotels catering to foreign tourists are having to implement policies to deal with the disposing of luggage.

Turns out that many visitors who come to Japan to do serious shopping will buy luggage in Japan (wheeled cases typically cost from 5,000yen) and discard the bags and trunks that they arrive with.

It’s enough of a problem for a growing number of hotels to charge a disposal fee (I’ve heard 3,000yen as an example) for each unwanted case left behind at the hotel. Notices are apparently being displayed in prominent locations (such as in elevators) in a variety of languages within these hotels.

At some point I imagine there will be a spate of people sending cases by takkyubin to random locations as a way to save money on disposal fees.
Old Jun 13, 2018, 6:07 am

At some point I imagine there will be a spate of people sending cases by takkyubin to random locations as a way to save money on disposal fees.
Let's hope that there isn't a spate of people abandoning their old suitcases in the airport terminal.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.