Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Japan
Reload this Page >

Sending luggage between airports (was: from KIX to HND)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Sending luggage between airports (was: from KIX to HND)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 13, 2018, 6:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jib71
Let's hope that there isn't a spate of people abandoning their old suitcases in the airport terminal.
Surely that wouldn’t catch on as it would/should cause a security alert each time.
Old Jun 13, 2018, 11:49 am

Programs: Tokyo Monorail Diamond-Encrusted-Platinum
Originally Posted by LapLap
Surely that wouldn’t catch on as it would/should cause a security alert each time.
Hence my hope that it doesn't catch on.
Many years ago, the car parks at NRT had a problem with old vehicles that were abandoned there by people who returned to their home countries after working for a few years in Japan. They found that it would cost them money to dispose of the cars properly, so they just left them at the airport. Since we're being coy about nationalities in this thread, I'll refrain from pointing fingers at those samba-dancing miscreants.
Old Jun 13, 2018, 1:10 pm

Spooky that this was an active thread. I also need to ship some bags from KIX to HND by my issue is short time not long time. We don't get into KIX until 9:30 pm. JAL ABC desk is open until 10:30 pm. We then have a flight out Wednesday Morning from HND at 10:00 am. Is it realistic to get the bags from KIX early morning on Tuesday and have it to HND by 8:00 am on Wed?

We are also staying at the airport hotels. Monday at KIX-Hotel Nikko Kansai Airport and then Tuesday at Haneda Excel Hotel Tokyu.

Thanks for any insight. I have emailed JAL ABC but not received any response.
Old Jun 13, 2018, 8:49 pm

@john c wisconsin
I'm a little confused on your timeline, but if you're doing KIX-HND transit in less than 48 hours, I think you should take the bags yourself. Airport Takkyubin is delivered to the airport the day before your departure, thus usually requires sending two to three days in advance. It'd be realistic to send the bags from KIX before ~ 5 pm and receive it sometime the next day in Tokyo (non-airport) before 12 pm.
By two days prior to your departure date (three days in some areas)
Please drop off your bag by the "Sending Deadline."
  • *The "Sending Deadline" varies depending on the drop off counter."
Airport TA-Q-BIN Living in Japan YAMATO TRANSPORT

Are you going by Shinkansen to Shimbashi or Tokyo station and spending a few hours there? There are left luggage offices in Tokyo station Coin Lockers/Baggage Storage at Tokyo Station?Tokyo Station City or look for a locker (you'll want 100 yen coins or a Suica card) https://livejapan.com/en/article-a0001460/ http://www.jreast.co.jp/e/stations/p...coinlocker.pdf. Some of the large department stores in Ginza also have temporary luggage storage counter for customers.
Old Jun 13, 2018, 11:16 pm

Originally Posted by freecia
@john c wisconsin
I'm a little confused on your timeline, but if you're doing KIX-HND transit in less than 48 hours, I think you should take the bags yourself. Airport Takkyubin is delivered to the airport the day before your departure, thus usually requires sending two to three days in advance. It'd be realistic to send the bags from KIX before ~ 5 pm and receive it sometime the next day in Tokyo (non-airport) before 12 pm.
Freecia, Thanks for the help and the info you listed! I had not seen that before.

My apologies I left off that we arrive on a Monday night into KIX. We plan to stay overnight at KIX and then on Tuesday travel to Tokyo on the Tokaido Shinkansen line (Nozomi I would hope). Tuesday we would stay at HND airport hotel and fly out Wednesday morning.

It looks like we will need to take along our checked bags and hope for some room on overhead or behind a last row of seats. It also sounds like if we spend a little more on the green cars we may have a better chance of less people and a little more room. I see the rules of two bags with max size and weight.
Old Jun 14, 2018, 6:16 pm

Alternatively, you could fly from KIX to HND on Tuesday morning. Drop bags at your hotel, then go into Tokyo.
Old Jun 14, 2018, 8:33 pm

Alternatively, you could fly from KIX to HND on Tuesday morning. Drop bags at your hotel, then go into Tokyo.
Thanks I agree, I already have these routes as part of an ANA around the world ticket so its too late to add to the ticket for free. We are coming in from SIN. I am sure flights are not that expensive but the original goal was to spend a one way trip on a bullet train for my family of three to experience.

Ideally we will have some award seats open up on our HND-ORD flight for the next day. If it becomes available I can change the date on the ANA award and that will give us another day in Tokyo.

I wonder if I can purchase an extra ticket on the train for a seat full of luggage. They let you do this for pets and instruments on flights maybe I can use that approach
Old Jun 15, 2018, 5:26 am

Originally Posted by john c wisconsin
I am sure flights are not that expensive but the original goal was to spend a one way trip on a bullet train for my family of three to experience.
Flights can be much cheaper than train tickets if you purchase a visitor fare or get them with points. If you're traveling from city-centre to city-centre, the train is more convenient (more frequent, less hassle, comparable journey time), and if you've never been on a bullet train, there's that.
I wonder if I can purchase an extra ticket on the train for a seat full of luggage.
You could, but it's unnecessary and expensive.
LapLap likes this.
Old Jun 17, 2018, 5:31 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by beep88
Maximum post-dated delivery for Yamato or other courier companies is 7 days. Delivery from Osaka to Tokyo is next day, but delivery to an airport requires an additional day.

Post office delivery is 10 day post-dated, IIRC.
Thanks for the responses everyone. Is the the general consensus that when I arrive in Osaka on the 22nd, I shouldn't have any trouble sending my extra bag by post office to Haneda Airport and then pick it up there on July 2? Or, alternatively, there's no problem if I choose to take the bag to my Osaka hotel and then, when I check out on the 27th, send it by Ta-Q-Bin to Haneda airport to pick up on July 2nd?
Old Jun 18, 2018, 7:54 am

Originally Posted by jphripjah
Thanks for the responses everyone. Is the the general consensus that when I arrive in Osaka on the 22nd, I shouldn't have any trouble sending my extra bag by post office to Haneda Airport and then pick it up there on July 2? Or, alternatively, there's no problem if I choose to take the bag to my Osaka hotel and then, when I check out on the 27th, send it by Ta-Q-Bin to Haneda airport to pick up on July 2nd?
Yes - Following this conversation, I think your best bet is the post office with your alternative plan as a backup. Let us know the result.
LapLap likes this.
Old Jun 20, 2018, 9:41 am

Programs: AMEX AC CX UA AA DL
Let's hope that there isn't a spate of people abandoning their old suitcases in the airport terminal.
There is. ?????????????????????????????????????????????? | ????????

愛知県の中部国際空港で近年、空港に遺棄されるスーツケースが急増しており、

https://www.asahi.com/articles/ASL2H2DZ5L2HPLFA001.html

スーツケースの「置き去り」が増えている。運営会社の関西エアポートによると、廃棄物集積所に持ち込まれるのは、1日2個ぐらい
LapLap and jib71 like this.
Old Jun 27, 2018, 7:33 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Yes - Following this conversation, I think your best bet is the post office with your alternative plan as a backup. Let us know the result.
After all of my inquiring, I decided to just use the regular hotel to hotel service. Decided I wanted the freedom to possibly change my onward flight from Japan and didn't want to be tied to picking up luggage at a certain airport on a certain day.

One thing I've noticed is that when I send from hotel to hotel, the desk clerk will often call the onward hotel seemingly to confirm my reservation. Is that just them making sure the confused foreigner isn't having his luggage sent to the wrong hotel, or is there more to these phone calls?

I don't think she was calling for the hotel address, it seemed like there was more to the conversation than that, she took my confirmation number, etc. Now I'm wondering based on this thread if they are policing people intentionally sending bags to hotels where they don't have a reservation. Or if I were cheekily sending my bag to a hotel where I didn't have a reservation until two weeks from now, would the front desk clerk at the hotel A that I'm leaving put a stop to that after calling hotel B? Are they on the hook if they send bags to the wrong hotel or to a hotel that rejects the delivery?
jib71 likes this.
Old Jun 27, 2018, 10:29 pm

Programs: Delta
Originally Posted by jphripjah
After all of my inquiring, I decided to just use the regular hotel to hotel service. Decided I wanted the freedom to possibly change my onward flight from Japan and didn't want to be tied to picking up luggage at a certain airport on a certain day.

One thing I've noticed is that when I send from hotel to hotel, the desk clerk will often call the onward hotel seemingly to confirm my reservation. Is that just them making sure the confused foreigner isn't having his luggage sent to the wrong hotel, or is there more to these phone calls?
Are you sure that they're calling the onward hotel and not the delivery company?
Old Jun 28, 2018, 12:09 am
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Thanks I agree, I already have these routes as part of an ANA around the world ticket so its too late to add to the ticket for free. We are coming in from SIN. I am sure flights are not that expensive but the original goal was to spend a one way trip on a bullet train for my family of three to experience.

Ideally we will have some award seats open up on our HND-ORD flight for the next day. If it becomes available I can change the date on the ANA award and that will give us another day in Tokyo.

I wonder if I can purchase an extra ticket on the train for a seat full of luggage. They let you do this for pets and instruments on flights maybe I can use that approach
you did not give dates, but given normal conditions, it's 4500 avios or 5000 UA miles and you can land ur bags at the HND airport (short walk from T2 domestic that ANA uses). and if you dont have the miles (or need to pay late booking fees) it's 10800 yen to buy a experience japan fare.
airport to airport to avoid train changes (Shin-Osaka and Shinagawa) and probably cheaper too at 99% of time. and you save the time.
Old Jun 28, 2018, 12:57 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by nishimark
Are you sure that they're calling the onward hotel and not the delivery company?
Pretty sure.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.