Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Japan
Reload this Page >

Luxury watch hunting

Luxury watch hunting

Old Apr 15, 2018, 11:18 pm
Original Poster

Luxury watch hunting

I would like to know if anyone has any experience buying luxury watches in Japan. I am in the market for some specific watches. I am looking at either the Grand Seiko sbgw253g or their new SBGT241G. I am also considering a Rolex Oyster 39 with a grey dial.

With that said, I am not sure if I can find these limited editions outside of Seiko stores. I am looking for a good deal on either but I couldn't find one at the local BIC. My last choice would be the Rolex. I would only get if I could get a significant discount over purchasing it here in the states.

Does anyone know if 1) Other stores carry Grand Seiko Limited Editions 2) Carry Rolex at a good price? If a boutique in Ginza or Shinjuku had both for a side by side comparison, it would be ideal
Old Apr 16, 2018, 4:24 am

Programs: Tokyo Monorail Diamond-Encrusted-Platinum
Seiko's website lists outlets in Japan and other countries - Seems to be mostly high-end department stores (Takashimaya / MItsukoshi etc.) in Japan.
I don't know about watches, but with Japanese-made consumer electronics, camera equipment, whisky, there is often no price advantage to buying in Japan.
Old Apr 16, 2018, 9:21 am

Wako would be the most likely to have the GS models: https://store.seikowatches.com/store/6078. Pricing would just be the tax free price, no discounting there.

If you are able to find the models you want at BIC, it's not hard to find a 7% watch coupon that I think includes GS (but definitely excludes Rolex). Watches could be a good deal when the yen was lower against the dollar, less so now.
Old Apr 16, 2018, 2:07 pm

Not exactly what you are looking for but for GS- SeiyaJapan and Higuchi are two trusted Japan-based online shops who may be able to source for you. Seiya is Tokyo-based and Higuchi has a storefront in Oita (Kyushu). I also bought two mid-range Seikos (a Sumo and a SARB) from this Rakuten shop with a good reputation: https://www.rakuten.ne.jp/gold/10keiya/ Stateside, you can also try https://timelessluxwatches.com/ in Dallas or FineTime in AZ: https://www.azfinetime.com/
Old Apr 16, 2018, 9:37 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Gold
Hi,

I am also a watch-enthusiast (I own a PP 5711A, Daytona SS, GMT-II), and I have been to Tokyo multiple times.
For Patek or Rolex, prices in Tokyo are highly inflated compared to Europe. Not sure about Seiko.
So you might be able to get a better deal in say Paris or Barcelona.

Hope this helps.
Old Apr 22, 2018, 8:54 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
The only time I've had any price advantage on a consumer product in Japan is with a global brand like Apple that sets a fixed price for its products at a set point in time, and due to market conditions, the Yen strengthened significantly against the dollar, plus I didn't have to pay sales tax, so buying phones and laptops in Tokyo saved hundreds vs buying the same products in the USA, but with the dollar falling, this is no longer the case. So, aside from specific currency arbitrage opportunities, I've never found any real 'bargains' in Japan for any consumer products, especially electronics, and my bags are usually filled with grocery or pharmacy items I can't get at my local Japanese supermarkets. The only real exception where I will pay up is a product that can't be bought back home at all (ie, my new Panasonic Doltz ultrasonic waterpick device), or a rice cooker I was able to buy at BIC Camera at less than half the cost vs buying it at a US Japanese supermarket. So, in the end, you need to be a very careful shopper if you're buying consumer goods in Japan.
Old Apr 23, 2018, 5:25 pm

Programs: IHG Gold
There are a number of luxury watch stores of all places at Nakano Broadway. Noticed them a few times while looking for other merchandise.

I just googled Nakano Broadway watches and came up with this place. I have no personal experience with them

https://www.goodlucktripjapan.com/en...le/item/10826/
Old Apr 27, 2018, 4:11 pm

I briefly looked at Rolexes when over there (among other expensive things). Now I know why the Japanese fly to Hawaii and buy out the luxury stores in the US. Even without tax, there's a pretty significant premium.

If you're in Oakland, you're WAY better off just going into an Asian jewelry/watch store and negotiating a deal. There's a lot of competition and they'll be used to customers bargaining heavily. I'd imagine this would apply to Seikos in addition to Rolexes.
Old Apr 29, 2018, 7:55 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by codex57

If you're in Oakland, you're WAY better off just going into an Asian jewelry/watch store and negotiating a deal. There's a lot of competition and they'll be used to customers bargaining heavily. I'd imagine this would apply to Seikos in addition to Rolexes.
The question is whether those shops are authorized dealers or just selling grey market items. I tend to even stay away from costco watches for that reason alone.
Old May 7, 2018, 11:42 am

Originally Posted by sigma6
The question is whether those shops are authorized dealers or just selling grey market items. I tend to even stay away from costco watches for that reason alone.
Because of warranty? I don't think the warranty would change from when it was date/signed/scanned even if passed onto another person. Japan is definitely not a place for discounted luxury watches. I went last month and even the USED ones were selling for OVER msrp, although I was just comparing a few sport models. (not just talking about the ridiculous mark ups for the ceramic daytonas)
Old May 8, 2018, 12:46 am

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
Depends on the exchange rates and the sales tax/vat in your home state/country. After taking into consideration the consumption tax exemption, I've at times seen new Rolexes in Japan at least 15% cheaper than what you can get in the U.S.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.