Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Japan
Reload this Page >

Where to stay for 2 nights in Tokyo. Shinagawa? Shinjuku?

Old Apr 10, 18, 4:04 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Exp / Marriott Titanium / MLife Gold / Hilton Gold / Hyatt Explorist / United Silver

Hi guys -

I am flying into HND on a Friday afternoon at 4PM and flying out of NRT on Sunday morning at 10AM - so that gives me 2 nights and one usable full day.

I've been to Tokyo and lived their for a few months before on an assignment, but this time I am going with my colleagues who have never been to Tokyo. So my priorities are
1) easy transfer from HND on arrival
2) easy transfer to NRT on departure
3) good sightseeing location for two people that are traveling with me who has never been to Tokyo before.
4) somewhere really close to public transportation since our schedule is pretty tight. IMO Park Hyatt maybe a bit too far for my taste.

During that time, I want to show them, maybe, Tsukiji (anything there anymore post-Olympic construction?), Meiji Jingu, Shinjuku, Shibuya Crossing (perhaps we can hit this on the first night).

I've narrowed it down to 2 locations - but would love to get your thoughts on it.

Shinagawa (InterContinental The Strings)
1. Easy transfer from Haneda via Keikyu Kuko
2. Easy transfer to Narita via Narita Express
3. 30 min ride to Tsukiji via Keykyu/ 30 min ride to Shinjuku via Yamanote/ 20 min ride to Shibuya via Yamanote

Shinjuku (haven't decided on hotel yet)
1. Relatively easy transfer from Haneda via Limousine Bus
2. Relatively easy transfer to Narita via Limousine Bus or Narita Express
3. Already in Shinjuku/ 10-15 mins to Shibuya/ 35 - 40 min ride to Tsukiji via Oedo

Right now, I am pretty much set on Shinagawa, but any other neighborhoods that we should be looking at?

I've kind of scratched off Grand Hyatt/ Andaz/ IC Tokyo Bay / Conrad just to not deal with HND -> Hotel -> NRT issue, but I could be wrong.

[Edit at 7:40PM Eastern] Actually - Given that Haneda -> Shibuya taxi is 6,600 yen (for 3 people), just spending two nights @ Shibuya sounds more appealing....

Last edited by samwise6222; Apr 10, 18 at 5:41 pm
Old Apr 10, 18, 7:08 pm

IC Strings Shinagawa is your best bet, if you want the most convenient train access both upon arrival and departure. Shinagawa is not the most exciting area, but it is very convenient with easy train access to most areas of Tokyo.

If you want to just cab it from HND upon arrival, then that opens up a whole bunch of options including Shibuya as you say. Problem with Shibuya, though, is I don't believe there's any Western brand high-end hotels (if that's important to you as it is to me). Cerulean is a nice hotel, though. Shinjuku has Hilton and Hyatt Regency ~10min walk from the station which is served by NRT Express (Limo Bus from lobby to NRT, as well, if the bus times work out relative to your departure flight).
samwise6222 likes this.
Old Apr 11, 18, 7:47 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Sixt Platinum, IHG Spire Ambassador, Marriott/SPG Gold .....
How about Prince Sakura right at the Shinagawa Station?
rollthere likes this.
Old Apr 11, 18, 8:26 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Exp / Marriott Titanium / MLife Gold / Hilton Gold / Hyatt Explorist / United Silver
Originally Posted by evergrn View Post
IC Strings Shinagawa is your best bet, if you want the most convenient train access both upon arrival and departure. Shinagawa is not the most exciting area, but it is very convenient with easy train access to most areas of Tokyo.

If you want to just cab it from HND upon arrival, then that opens up a whole bunch of options including Shibuya as you say. Problem with Shibuya, though, is I don't believe there's any Western brand high-end hotels (if that's important to you as it is to me). Cerulean is a nice hotel, though. Shinjuku has Hilton and Hyatt Regency ~10min walk from the station which is served by NRT Express (Limo Bus from lobby to NRT, as well, if the bus times work out relative to your departure flight).
Thank you! I am leaning towards Cerulean in Shibuya just for the fact that you can walk out of the hotel and show Tokyo to these newbies (and be still close to major transportation). It's 10:30AM flight - so I am thinking 6:40 limousine bus from Cerulean. Or Taxi to Shinjuku then Nex - but it's Sunday morning, so may not be worth an extra taxi ride.

Originally Posted by blitzen View Post
I think if we were to stay near Shinagawa - our preference would be IC Strings (don't think Prince Sakura is worth 2x the price of IC Strings).

Edit: I confused Tokyo train with Seoul train lol

Last edited by samwise6222; Apr 11, 18 at 1:30 pm
Old Apr 11, 18, 9:30 am

Unless Shinjuku is completely off your list, the Hotel Century Southern Tower might be worth looking into. Itís located about 3-5 min walk away from the Shinjuku Station south exit so itís close to Shinjuku but not quite in the middle of insanityóitís technically in the Shibuya district but on the northern edge. You have your choice of either Shinjuku Station or Yoyogi Station (about 7 min walk) for access to the Yamanote line so youíre a short hop away from Harajuku and Shibuya. Itís across the footbridge from the Takashimaya Dept Store and the excellent Tokyu Hands store. And finally, the Narita Express platform is located on the south side of Shinjuku Station so you have quick access for your departure.
Old Apr 11, 18, 10:45 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by hanajiro View Post
Unless Shinjuku is completely off your list, the Hotel Century Southern Tower might be worth looking into.

That place actually sounds really ideal to us - but seems like it's fully booked for the days we want (Golden Week)
Old Apr 11, 18, 11:48 am

Originally Posted by samwise6222 View Post
That place actually sounds really ideal to us - but seems like it's fully booked for the days we want (Golden Week)
i canít really vouch for either but thereís also the Hotel Sunroute Plaza Shinjuku and the JR Kyushu Blossom Hotel that are nearby as well. I think theyíre both caddy corner away from the southwest part of the station. Thereís also the Keio Plaza Hotel to the west. A bit farther of a walk but thereís an underground passage that will make the trip a bit easier.
Old Apr 11, 18, 1:21 pm

Originally Posted by blitzen View Post
That's a good one, too.

Thank you! I am leaning towards Cerulean in Shibuya just for the fact that you can walk out of the hotel and show Tokyo to these newbies (and be still close to major transportation). It's 10:30AM flight - so I am thinking 6:40 limousine bus from Cerulean. Or Taxi to Shinjuku then A'Rex - but it's Sunday morning, so may not be worth an extra taxi ride.
The NEx at that hour does not stop in Shibuya? I guess not all NEx's stop in Shibuya. In that case, I'd definitely take the 6.40am Limo Bus.

I think if we were to stay near Shinagawa - our preference would be IC Strings (don't think Prince Sakura is worth 2x the price of IC Strings).
Nice thing about IC Strings is that it's right at the station. But Sakura Towers is only a few minutes walk (could take >5min depending on how long you have to wait at the crosswalk) and I really love that hotel.
I'm surprised that Sakura Towers is 2x as much as the Strings.

Unless Shinjuku is completely off your list, the Hotel Century Southern Tower might be worth looking into.
I like Century Southern. Best location out of all the hotels in Shinjuku imo. Great view of the trains if you get the room on the right side. But it's not really a luxury hotel, unless that's not important to OP. Bit of a dropoff from Cerulean/Sakura Towers/Strings.

i canít really vouch for either but thereís also the Hotel Sunroute Plaza Shinjuku and the JR Kyushu Blossom Hotel that are nearby as well. I think theyíre both caddy corner away from the southwest part of the station. Thereís also the Keio Plaza Hotel to the west. A bit farther of a walk but thereís an underground passage that will make the trip a bit easier.
I don't know JR Blossom, but Sunroute is a business hotel. Keio Plaza... I've not stayed recently, but I'd much prefer Hyatt Regency or Hilton over Keio Plaza.
Old Apr 11, 18, 1:29 pm
Original Poster

Guys thank you for all your suggestions!

Right now, we are 60% Cerulean / 40% IC Strings - so in the process of making our final decision!
Old Apr 12, 18, 3:53 pm
Original Poster

Thank's for your advice everyone. We have decided to go with Cerulean for the view & proximity to more "touristy" place (yes - you can find fun in Shinagawa but Shibuya/Shinjuku area would work better for first time visitors, I think)
Old Apr 12, 18, 5:28 pm

I've kind of scratched off Grand Hyatt/ Andaz/ IC Tokyo Bay / Conrad just to not deal with HND -> Hotel -> NRT issue, but I could be wrong.
As a long time resident of Tokyo and someone who practically lived at Grand Hyatt and Andaz, I think you’re making a huge mistake scratching those off the list. Conrad is also a far nicer hotel and location than Shinagawa.

Your point about airport transportation is valid, but I don’t think it makes sense to stay in an otherwise inferior hotel/location on that basis. A couple of inexpensive taxi rides would completely solve your problem and leave you staying in a much better hotel.

You do realize that, for example, Shibuya is a very short taxi or bus ride from Roppongi Hills, right? And that a taxi to Shinagawa would also be easy to take from GHT, Andaz, or Conrad. Also, N’EX train to NRT runs out of Shibuya, or there is limousine bus service directly from all of those hotels? A taxi from Andaz or Conrad to Tokyo station is also cheap and easy.

Bottom line - take the best hotel you can find within budget that has availability. Then later figure out how to fill any transportation gaps.
samwise6222 likes this.
Old Apr 12, 18, 7:26 pm

Originally Posted by MikeFromTokyo View Post
As a long time resident of Tokyo and someone who practically lived at Grand Hyatt and Andaz, I think youíre making a huge mistake scratching those off the list. Conrad is also a far nicer hotel and location than Shinagawa.

Your point about airport transportation is valid, but I donít think it makes sense to stay in an otherwise inferior hotel/location on that basis. A couple of inexpensive taxi rides would completely solve your problem and leave you staying in a much better hotel.

You do realize that, for example, Shibuya is a very short taxi or bus ride from Roppongi Hills, right? And that a taxi to Shinagawa would also be easy to take from GHT, Andaz, or Conrad. Also, NíEX train to NRT runs out of Shibuya, or there is limousine bus service directly from all of those hotels? A taxi from Andaz or Conrad to Tokyo station is also cheap and easy.

Bottom line - take the best hotel you can find within budget that has availability. Then later figure out how to fill any transportation gaps.
Imho Cerulean's a fine choice for OP's purpose. It appears he's looking for an upscale hotel, but more importantly he wants to impress first-time visitors to the city. I don't know Andaz, but Conrad is just the wrong choice location-wise and Shibuya is far better than Roppongi Hills considering what he's looking for.
samwise6222 likes this.
Old Apr 12, 18, 7:51 pm

Originally Posted by evergrn View Post
Imho Cerulean's a fine choice for OP's purpose. It appears he's looking for an upscale hotel, but more importantly he wants to impress first-time visitors to the city. I don't know Andaz, but Conrad is just the wrong choice location-wise and Shibuya is far better than Roppongi Hills considering what he's looking for.
Sorry, I was responding based on the OP which had said Shinagawa. I agree Cerulean Tower in Shibuya is obviously a perfectly good choice.
samwise6222 likes this.
Old Apr 12, 18, 10:17 pm
Original Poster

Right you both are entirely correct. I quickly realized that there really wasn't point in staying in Shinagawa for our purposes.

For our dates, Cerulean comes at $295/night, GH at $550/night and Andaz @ $650/night.

I do want them to feel the energy that Shibuya/ Shinjuku area without going for $800/night Park Hyatt. I think Cerulean will work for us!

(although I do question whether we may be too old for Shibuya area. Me - 30y/o F, two other people, both 40 y/o M)

Thank you both!
kaka and MikeFromTokyo like this.

Last edited by samwise6222; Apr 12, 18 at 10:23 pm
Old Apr 13, 18, 11:29 am

Right you both are entirely correct. I quickly realized that there really wasn't point in staying in Shinagawa for our purposes.

For our dates, Cerulean comes at $295/night, GH at $550/night and Andaz @ $650/night.

I do want them to feel the energy that Shibuya/ Shinjuku area without going for $800/night Park Hyatt. I think Cerulean will work for us!

(although I do question whether we may be too old for Shibuya area. Me - 30y/o F, two other people, both 40 y/o M)

Thank you both!
You’ve absolutely made the right choice at that price point, and the location could not be better for your purposes. Shibuya is a great place for any age group.

From Shibuya, you can easily get anywhere else of interest. If you want a treat, spend some of the money you are saving on room rate (compared to Andaz and PH) on a meal at a fine sushi or tempura restaurant, as those foods at their highest levels are unique to Tokyo in the entire world.

You can take the N’EX train directly from Shibuya to NRT. Short cab or bus ride to Roppongi, short train ride to Shinjuku. Ginza line, Futokushin Line, etc... stop in Shibuya. It does not get much more convenient than that.

samwise6222 likes this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: