FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Japan (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/japan-509/)
-   -   3 day pass for Tokyo subway... Help (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/japan/1901939-3-day-pass-tokyo-subway-help.html)

Keller281 Apr 2, 2018 2:51 pm

3 day pass for Tokyo subway... Help

Our hotel is near Sinjuku Station. Are there such things as Senior discount ?
Thanks in advance.

kalderlake Apr 2, 2018 4:10 pm

There are two different, separate systems in Tokyo.

The trains, and the subway.

You can buy one two or three day discount passes for the subway. Here is a link that I used to figure out how they work:

subway ticket pass

There is no senior discount that I can see.

BUT: they don't work on the train system. And the train system includes the Yamanote Line, which is a train line that circles the city and is very convenient. Including from Shinjuku Station.

As far as I'm aware, there is no discount pass available for the train system.

So you have to decide if you're going to use the subway system enough to make the cost of the pass work, while keeping in mind that this will mean avoiding the train system, and it's convenience.

If you want to do the research, here is a link to a good site for figuring out what the cost of a trip using either system will be:

Hyperdia

Whatever you decide, it's an excellent site for planning routes.

If you decide the passes aren't worth it, you can buy either a Suica or Pasmo card (they're available everywhere) which basically acts as a wallet: you put yen onto it, and then use it on either the subway or train system and it deducts the trip cost. No discount.

Have a great trip, it's an amazing city.

LapLap Apr 2, 2018 5:31 pm

Originally Posted by Keller281 (Post 29594905)
Our hotel is near Sinjuku Station. Are there such things as Senior discount ?
Thanks in advance.

kalderlake covered your question well. Day passes for transport in central Tokyo (the Yurikamome pass being a rare exception) rarely make economic sense.
My father in law has a pass giving him discounted travel in Tokyo, but I understand that these are only available to residents of Tokyo aged over 70.
We did get a special Suica card for my 8 year old that gives half price travel, but 6-12 year olds are the only group I am aware of that are eligible for discount travel.

Aventine Apr 2, 2018 6:20 pm

The tourist only 3 day Tokyo subway pass is not a bad deal at all. You can get it at BIC Camera or the Tokyo metro information booth at Shinjuku station.

LapLap Apr 2, 2018 7:25 pm

Aha, so this is one of the exceptions of a decent value pass - 1,500yen for three days (not including JR lines).
Good price at 500yen a day - as long as you use it.

MSPeconomist Apr 2, 2018 7:31 pm

Often there's a deal that purchase of a limo bus ticket (for travel from the airport to your hotel) at NRT gives you something like a 48 hour subway pass for free if you just point to the sign and ask for the offer. Usually the terms are that the 48 hours can be used at any time within the next six months; you need to validate the pass before it's first use. The pass looks like a normal subway ticket and is handed to you in a small envelope that somewhat explains the thing.

vletnguyen Apr 2, 2018 9:20 pm

https://www.tokyometro.jp/en/ticket/travel/index.html

I plan on doing this with pasmo/suica cards for Tokyo and 7 day JR pass when I go west.

vletnguyen Apr 2, 2018 9:25 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist (Post 29595763)
Often there's a deal that purchase of a limo bus ticket (for travel from the airport to your hotel) at NRT gives you something like a 48 hour subway pass for free if you just point to the sign and ask for the offer. Usually the terms are that the 48 hours can be used at any time within the next six months; you need to validate the pass before it's first use. The pass looks like a normal subway ticket and is handed to you in a small envelope that somewhat explains the thing.

I'll look for this to save me a pass. Thanks!

paperwastage Apr 3, 2018 7:12 am

Theres a combo subway&keisei(nrt) or subway&hnd, one way or rt

Some restrictions (one-way subway&hnd must be departing from airport, not going to airport)

MattEvan Apr 3, 2018 8:28 am

Are the unlimited Subway passes scanned (magnetic stripe) tickets or "touch and go"/IC? Anyone know?

889 Apr 3, 2018 8:53 am

The two subway systems together cover a vast area, and at an average of 500 yen/day the pass is an outstanding deal. Being able to freely go out and re-enter at any station is an enormous advantage. Particularly since the pass is good for 72 hours after first use, not three calendar days.

Note, though, that some private lines also run on the subway system. You can take these with the pass, but only within Tokyo. That is, you have to get off before the private trains cross outside the city into the suburbs. Look carefully at the system map!

Also, the passes can be difficult to buy: only a few places sell them. Best is get one at Narita.

angra Apr 3, 2018 8:57 am

The biggest downside to the pass, from my pov is that it isn't an IC card, and can't be loaded onto one. Thus, it must be physically sent through the ticket gates. For someone like me, this represents a much greater chance of losing the ticket. Sure do wish it could be tagged onto IC somehow.

cruisr Apr 3, 2018 2:00 pm

We always buy the passes upon arrival at Haneda or NRT. Excellent value. There is also a version for Osaka which we purchased at KIX.

ksandness Apr 3, 2018 2:05 pm

However, a Suica or Pasmo card lets you ride all the transportation that you are likely to take in Tokyo (subways, local JR trains like the Yamanote Line, local private lines, and buses) and can be used for other small purchases at vending machines and kiosks. If you don't use up all its value, you can get a partial refund. If you DO use up all its value, there are machines at every station that allow you to add value.

JMBResona Apr 3, 2018 7:42 pm

Re the IC card issue:

Just to let you know, Tokyo Metro and the Toei Subway offer one-day passes that CAN be loaded onto a PASMO card (the touch and go IC cards).

A one-day pass valid on both Toei and Metro costs \900 a day, and one valid only on the Tokyo Metro costs \600.

It could definitely save you money (and hassle) if you're planning to visit more than one location on the subway. (which, as long as you're staying within the central areas, should be enough) I'd load an additional 1000 yen or so on the IC card to cover incidental purchases at convenience stores, vending machines, etc.

The passes below are separate paper tickets, and cannot be loaded on a PASMO/SUICA card.

If you anticipate travelling on the JR lines too, the Tokyo 1-Day Ticket might suit you better, covering both the subway, Toei Bus, Streetcar, and the JR lines within central Tokyo. At 1,590 yen, it's a bit harder to recoup the cost though.

If you're travelling through NRT, the Skyliner+Subway combination pass might be the best value.

Considering that a one-way ticket on the Skyliner (express train from Narita into Tokyo) usually costs 2465 yen, you can essentially get a 24 hour subway pass (on both Metro and Toei) for 325 yen, a 48 hour pass for 735 yen, and so on.

Unfortunately Senior discounts aren't available, but the Subway passes are eligible for extra value "Chika Toku" promotions at various locations that you might end up visiting, which might also add towards your perception of value for each ticket.