Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Japan
Reload this Page >

3 day pass for Tokyo subway... Help

3 day pass for Tokyo subway... Help

Old Apr 4, 2018, 10:13 am

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
I ended up taking the local train via the sky access line for ~1300Ą from Ginza. It was a one-seat ride and didn't take much longer than would have taken transferring to the Skyliner or N'Ex.
ksandness and pudgym29 like this.
Old Apr 7, 2018, 6:43 pm

Originally Posted by Keller281
Our hotel is near Sinjuku Station. Are there such things as Senior discount ?
Thanks in advance.

Just get a Suica card. It really does simplify things greatly. Not only does it access just about every imaginable form of transport in tokyo, but it also is very useful for vending machines.

Additionally you can use it for small purchases at convenience stores instead of cash, meaning that you won't keep accumulating pocketfuls of loose change.
Old Apr 15, 2018, 4:20 am

Originally Posted by kalderlake
If you decide the passes aren't worth it, you can buy either a Suica or Pasmo card (they're available everywhere) which basically acts as a wallet: you put yen onto it, and then use it on either the subway or train system and it deducts the trip cost. No discount.
Well, there's a tiny discount of a few yen vs buying individual paper tickets. While the convenience far outstrips the tiny yen discount, it does make a difference towards the end of your trip as you're running out of physical yen, don't want to exchange more money, and are trying to draw down the card before you leave. Nearly all of the machines make you top off at 1000 yen intervals. That's a LOT. I found a couple that let me do it at 500 yen intervals and only one where it was, I believe, 5 yen intervals.

I came from Osaka, so I had an ICOCA card and couldn't return it for my deposit/remaining balance. You can only return for deposit in the home region of the card. In any case, the little tiny discounts added up and I was able to squeeze out my last 500 yen top off.

Oh, and I found Google Maps to just be a lot easier to use. It's far from perfect, and combined with the iPhone's (we had a 6+, 6S, 7, and X going at once at times) awful compass, be prepared to be frustrated and lost. Still, I found it a lot easier than Hyperdia. Even for planning, unless you know the exact minute you are leaving, I just found Google Maps easier. For most tourists, it's impossible to plan to the minute. Not when there can be a new train in a couple minutes that might change up the best option and you're slow in figuring out which direction to walk.
karenkay likes this.

Last edited by codex57; Apr 15, 2018 at 4:26 am
Old Apr 15, 2018, 2:46 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by codex57
Well, there's a tiny discount of a few yen vs buying individual paper tickets. While the convenience far outstrips the tiny yen discount, it does make a difference towards the end of your trip as you're running out of physical yen, don't want to exchange more money, and are trying to draw down the card before you leave. Nearly all of the machines make you top off at 1000 yen intervals. That's a LOT. I found a couple that let me do it at 500 yen intervals and only one where it was, I believe, 5 yen intervals.

I came from Osaka, so I had an ICOCA card and couldn't return it for my deposit/remaining balance. You can only return for deposit in the home region of the card. In any case, the little tiny discounts added up and I was able to squeeze out my last 500 yen top off.

Oh, and I found Google Maps to just be a lot easier to use. It's far from perfect, and combined with the iPhone's (we had a 6+, 6S, 7, and X going at once at times) awful compass, be prepared to be frustrated and lost. Still, I found it a lot easier than Hyperdia. Even for planning, unless you know the exact minute you are leaving, I just found Google Maps easier. For most tourists, it's impossible to plan to the minute. Not when there can be a new train in a couple minutes that might change up the best option and you're slow in figuring out which direction to walk.
You can also use the fare adjustment machine to top up the IC card enough to exit or some stores will split a transaction between draining the IC card and cash for the remainder.

I've found Google Maps to be easier as well, but sometimes it won't display train options that you know should be there, depending on where Google Maps thinks you are. Changing the starting location can then pull up the "correct" route.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 4:49 pm

I just used a 72 hour Tokyo Metro & Toei ticket. It is also available to domestic tourists "Sold to passengers traveling domestically or internationally from outside of the 7 prefectures in the Kanto region (Tokyo, Kanagawa, Saitama, Chiba, Ibaraki, Tochigi, Gunma and Yamanashi)" For Customers Visiting Tokyo | PASMO/Tickets | Tokyo Metro Line via voucher pre-purchase or on arrival on ANA available for purchase at one of the HND T2/ANA domestic terminal information desks. Cash only.

It is like a paper metro ticket in that it goes in the yellow slot of the turnstile so you can still used unmanned gates and don't need to seek out a human like a foreigner only JR Pass. Not all turnstiles accept tickets these days as some are IC Card only but at least one will take paper tickets at each entrance/exit.

I also used the ticket entering on Toei line station and had the fare adjusted at HND Keisei desk on arrival to pay for the non-covered fare to the airport. The fare adjustment machine didn't want to calculate it so I used the manned desk.

Last edited by freecia; Apr 17, 2018 at 7:06 pm
Old May 23, 2018, 10:14 pm

Programs: Global Entry · WN, UA, AS, DL, NH; IHG, Wyndham, Hilton, Best Value Inn, Marriott, Starwood, Ramada
Arrow Unrestricted.

Originally Posted by Offshore171
Just get a Suica PASMO card. It really does simplify things greatly. Not only does it access just about every imaginable form of transport in tokyo, but it also is very useful for vending machines.
Additionally you can use it for small purchases at convenience stores instead of cash, meaning that you won't keep accumulating pocketfuls of loose change.
I corrected that for you.

I actually now have a PASMO card, and took the extra step to customize it for me. (Steve D***** is the name on the card.)
But that doesn't diminish that the one-, two-, or three-day open tickets are no longer valuable. You can still obtain them for a deep discount at Tokyo airports.
Also, both Tokyo Metro and Toei have tie-ups where, if you opt to stay in Yokohama, you can buy a one-day open ticket which will provide a round trip on either Toyoko, or Keikyu, and unlimited rides on (corresponding) Metro, or Toei lines. There is a difference between the two Tokyo train lines (9 v 4), but the latter also includes the one remaining streetcar tram line in northern Tokyo.
There are venues in Tokyo which you cannot reach via JR. I'll continue to bellow this for as long as I need to. Please consider those other neighborhoods. Do not become a slave to your JR pass.
Old May 24, 2018, 12:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pudgym29
There are venues in Tokyo which you cannot reach via JR. I'll continue to bellow this for as long as I need to. Please consider those other neighborhoods. Do not become a slave to your JR pass.
A message that you believe bears repeating - but not one you would answer questions about.
You made an impassioned plea for others to ditch JR and explore Chiba, but never responded as to why one would do that:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29207966-post16.html
None of us on the forum could figure it out. Perhaps you can finally solve the mystery.
Old May 24, 2018, 2:14 am

Programs: BA BD SA
Originally Posted by pudgym29
I corrected that for you.

I actually now have a PASMO card, and took the extra step to customize it for me. (Steve D***** is the name on the card.)
But that doesn't diminish that the one-, two-, or three-day open tickets are no longer valuable. You can still obtain them for a deep discount at Tokyo airports.
Also, both Tokyo Metro and Toei have tie-ups where, if you opt to stay in Yokohama, you can buy a one-day open ticket which will provide a round trip on either Toyoko, or Keikyu, and unlimited rides on (corresponding) Metro, or Toei lines. There is a difference between the two Tokyo train lines (9 v 4), but the latter also includes the one remaining streetcar tram line in northern Tokyo.
I don't understand the reason for advising against a Suica card.
abmj-jr and LapLap like this.
Old May 24, 2018, 4:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Cheetah_SA
Am not sure I’ve ever had a PASMO card. Usually we reload the same Suica cards we’ve been using for years. This last visit, my daughter got her very own, it has the kanji for child printed on it and entitles her to half price travel.
Our preference is probably due to a fondness for watermelon and penguins, there’s also the joy in saying “Suica” - it just sounds happier than “PASMO” (thanks to an old thread in this forum, I often look at the card and read “Sucia” and that makes me giggle. “Spasmo” makes me wince)
Cheetah_SA likes this.
Old May 24, 2018, 5:48 am

Programs: Former UA Premex, now dirt
The same thought occurred to me. I suspect the poster simply has a personal bias based on a preference for non-JR lines.
Cheetah_SA and LapLap like this.
Old May 24, 2018, 5:55 am

Programs: DL FO 1MM
Originally Posted by abmj-jr
The same thought occurred to me. I suspect the poster simply has a personal bias based on a preference for non-JR lines.
but how does that connect to PASMO / SUICA? Is there actually some difference between the two that relates to a real world usage?
Old May 24, 2018, 6:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by angra
but how does that connect to PASMO / SUICA? Is there actually some difference between the two that relates to a real world usage?
Not very much. For me, the only real difference I experience is when recharging the cards. It’s a bit easier to recharge Suica at JR stations, and PASMO at non JR Metro and Subway stations.
Old May 24, 2018, 7:29 am

Not only does it not make sense, but it's also bad advice. If you have a newer iPhone and/or Apple Watch, mobile Suica via Apple Pay is a killer feature, and it's not available with PASMO.
Old May 24, 2018, 6:09 pm

Originally Posted by LapLap
Am not sure I’ve ever had a PASMO card. Usually we reload the same Suica cards we’ve been using for years. This last visit, my daughter got her very own, it has the kanji for child printed on it and entitles her to half price travel.
Our preference is probably due to a fondness for watermelon and penguins, there’s also the joy in saying “Suica” - it just sounds happier than “PASMO” (thanks to an old thread in this forum, I often look at the card and read “Sucia” and that makes me giggle. “Spasmo” makes me wince)
My IC (Mobile Suica on Apple Watch) backup is a Hello Kitty ICOCA which "brings me joy". The backup's backup is a PASMO with my name printed on it, kept because my name is never preprinted on souvenirs and I can loan a spare card to a friend/family so they don't need to stop at an airport ATM on arrival.

I noticed that longer haul local & rapid JR East trains with green cars allowed green seat reservation machine on the platform with a Suica card. There was a sign stating mobile Suica was not accepted. I don't know if it didn't integrate with mobile Suica's different form factor or was only compatible with a physical Suica card. I don't think most tourists are riding the Utsunomiya line very often, though. I should have made some time to stop at the Railway Museum in Omiya.

My mobile Suica was a little glitchy boarding Keikyu at HND upon arrival and the error condition was cleared/reset by the agent at the desk with the contact pad on the counter. So I carry a backup card and a bit of coinage just in case. Better to be a little over-prepared because I wander out to the inaka and occasionally come across unmanned and/or cash only stations.

ETA: Ah, glitch could have been the 6 month non-used Suica lock. https://atadistance.net/2018/04/26/u...he-suica-lock/ The "SF" menu icon in Mobile Suica does indicate I rode before adding more credit.

More easy, reliable, and fast transport payment options are a positive thing. Just because a tourist has a specific transportation system's pass or payments doesn't mean they'll exclusively use the pass, though it can be tempting until one realizes Tokyo's public transit works pretty well as an integrated system and staying off the Yamanote line is totally fine (or even desirable when staying near a major JR commuter station, trying to go counter-traffic in the morning). A local IC card is a nice complement. I'm not a local with a commuter pass or heading to Chiba/Saitama very often, though.

Last edited by freecia; May 24, 2018 at 7:16 pm
Old May 25, 2018, 4:00 pm

Programs: Tokyo Monorail Diamond-Encrusted-Platinum
Advantages of PASMO for tourists:
1) I have gathered from personal experience that SUICA issued by Tokyo Monorail cannot be refunded at a JR station (which means you lose the deposit if you buy one at HND and leave Japan at NRT). By contrast, PASMO can be refunded at HND (Keikyu station ticket windows) and NRT (Keisei railway company ticket windows)
2) O-Sora reported that Pasmo has no fee for refund. I'm not sure if this is correct, but if it is, then it would save users the trouble of zero-ing their balance before getting the refund
Pasmo or Suica for Tokyo / Kyoto visit. Which is better and why?
3) Machines at subway stations allow you to top up cards with coins, (but you can top up SUICA too, so this is an advantage of the machine, not the card)

For residents there may be other advantages to one or the other (e.g. having your commuter pass integrated with your IC card)

Um ... That's all I can think of right now.

A reported advantage of ICOCA is that you can use a credit card to top up at JR West stations ... Sounds very exciting to me.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.