Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Japan
Reload this Page >

Best Tokyo experiences for 8 year old

Old Mar 24, 18, 1:50 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, airline free agent

So I know this forum is littered with 'what to do with kids' posts. I'm hoping this one is slightly different.

Wife, 8 year old daughter, and I are headed to Tokyo for 8 nights (first 5 at Hyatt Centric Ginza, last 3 at Park Hyatt) in early April (6 to 14 to be exact). So we're set on hotels. We are good, flexible, adventurous travelers, but this will be my daughter's first trip to Japan/Asia (she's lucky enough to have been to Europe and Latin America many times). Through this forum and other sources, we have a long list of activities that sound good to great.

What I'm looking to get a sense for is... in your opinion what are the most interesting, adventurous, worthwhile experiences, sites, restaurants, etc for a child her age? To be clear, we're not just going to be doing 'kids stuff' for our entire trip, but we do want to carve out a handful of things for her, and make to make sure we make those experiences the best they can be. So give me your top 2 or 3 experiences for kids. As always any other advice, tips, tricks for our situation are welcome

On edit, a bit about my daughter - a tom boy, active, loves animals, pokemon, Totoro, robots, ninjas, sports in general and now that she discovered sumo, she's been doing that with her friends. Also, generally looking for Japanese experiences, things that we can't see/do other places

Thanks in advance

Last edited by HSaxa; Mar 24, 18 at 2:28 pm
Old Mar 24, 18, 2:19 pm

Programs: HH, BD
To make this thread slightly different from the others, could you let us know what your daughter likes / what she has enjoyed in other cities? That might give people a focus - Otherwise, we're just left to list the things that we (or our kids) like ... Ghibli, Disney, Parasite Museum etc.
LapLap likes this.
Old Mar 24, 18, 2:29 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, airline free agent
Originally Posted by jib71 View Post
To make this thread slightly different from the others, could you let us know what your daughter likes / what she has enjoyed in other cities? That might give people a focus - Otherwise, we're just left to list the things that we (or our kids) like ... Ghibli, Disney, Parasite Museum etc.
Thanks, just edited my original post with the info. Though already intrigued by Parasite Museum
Old Mar 24, 18, 3:21 pm

Programs: DL DM 1MM, Hilton Gold, Starwood Gold, Amex Plat
Depending on the timing of your trip, you might catch a sumo tournament in town.

It's not for everyone, but since she loves animals, I'll mention the machida squirrel garden. It'e exactly what it sounds like.

Since she likes tottoro, definitely a visit to the Ghibli musem. That's a kid-who-likes-ghibli's paradise.
LapLap likes this.
Old Mar 24, 18, 3:54 pm

Programs: Former UA Premex, now dirt
What are your dates? Sumo tournaments are held 3 times per year in Tokyo. We can help you find the dates.

Either way, the Edo-Tokyo Museum is a must do and is right next door to the sumo arena. Even if there is no tournament during your stay, a visit to the tiny sumo museum in the arena will only add a few minutes to a visit to the E-T.

I also think a visit to the Senso-ji Temple in Asakusa could be fun for the family. The vendor stalls along the approach are fun to browse and the pigeons like to land on and around kids if they toss a little popcorn about. Fresh snacks from the stalls are a highlight for my family.
LapLap likes this.
Old Mar 24, 18, 4:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

From my own kid's (now 8) experiences from when she was 6 & 7

favourite shrine - the Benten-Kutzu cave at Hase-Dera in Kamakura

favourite activity - hiking. We recommend Mt Takao (but avoid the Monkey Park which is just depressing)

loves onsen and rotemburo - there's a good one for a post hike soak at Takasanguchi station

LapGirl liked the Ghibli Museum well enough, but she really loved exploring and climbing through the "houses" at Akebono No Mori much, much more. There's a real fairy tale quality to this place - I'd pour over photos before deciding to go, the area is relatively small and not everyone is going to respond to the buildings in the same way. A wonderful and unique way to experience the Sakura, but somewhere as an adult you'll feel more comfortable visiting whilst in the company of a child.

Showa Kinene Koen - hands down the best park in the Tokyo area. Will keep the adults enchanted and a kid physically engaged all day. Has a range of superb and memorable play areas. Another great place for Sakura. Rent a bicycle. Would be happy to meet up between the 6th and 9th (we're off to Okinawa for snorkelling on the 10th) if you want to come here. My own kid is ridiculously active and very outgoing.

Love of Tottoro? My own favourite spot is the Nihon Minka En. Was so relieved to find out that my kid shares my affection for this very special place.
Also following this vibe is the Ukai Toriyama - a beautiful place for an unforgettable lunch, also near Mt Takao.

favourite museum - Shitamachi Museum in Ueno. The Nihon Minka En gives a glimpse of Country life, the Shitamachi Museum opens up life for ordinary people in the city

We've managed to get close and personal to Sumo Wrestlers near Nihonbashi, but this was October 2016 during a festival. I'm not sure about recommending early Morning Sumo practice - it's early, it's a long session and there's a lot of blood.
Old Mar 24, 18, 4:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

And to add, the Disney Parks may well be more interesting than those elsewhere, particularly Disney Sea. Your kid is likely tall enough now to be able to ride on absolutely everything. There'll be no height restrictions that will affect her.
Old Mar 24, 18, 5:31 pm

Programs: UA AA MR HH B6
what is this parasite museum I've never heard of?

so, with an 8 yr old I would do
Pokemon store
Miraikan
science museum in imperial park https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attracti...ure_Kanto.html
disney
kidzania (KidZania Official SitebA Real City for Kids!) there is another place with a similar concept
Tokyo tower
Skytree
Asakusa
Enoshima (with the monorail and the tram if possible)
Tobu Dobutsu Koen (a bit of a hike)
edo wonderland (EDO WONDERLAND Nikko Edomura) even more of a hike
Yokohama Cosmoworld
Hiking - the places I've gone to are hakone and tsukuba
........etc (will add if I recall others)
Old Mar 24, 18, 5:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Meguro Parasite Museum
????????????

If the OP does decide to go to The Miraikan (thumbs up from us), it's easy to combine a visit here with the excellent RiSuPia at Panasonic - also nearby in Odaiba.

forgot to mention also a visit to one of the Disaster Prevention Centers (Earthquake similators, extinguisher training, some have Typhoon similators too). The Rinkai Disaster Prevention park seems to be the biggest.
Old Mar 24, 18, 7:09 pm

Programs: Former UA Premex, now dirt
Ok, I looked at the OP again and saw that I made an ... out of myself asking for travel dates when they were actually in the post. (Doh!)

Unfortunately, there will be no sumo tournament in early April. The wrestlers are just finishing up the March tournament tomorrow (Sunday) in Osaka. The next one won't be until May. They will all be back in Tokyo during your visit but will be getting healed up and back into the training routine. You MIGHT get lucky and see a few of the younger guys walking or biking around Ryogoku near the arena, running errands. They are hard to miss in kimono and with the large size. I would still recommend a visit to the Edo-Tokyo in any case.
Old Mar 24, 18, 7:38 pm

Programs: HH, BD
Not in Tokyo but in Kanagawa - new place for Tom boys and the rest of the family - adults too:
???? ??????? ??????????????????

It looks like fun, although it's probably too far off your path.
LapLap likes this.
Old Mar 24, 18, 10:22 pm

I thought Shibuya Crossing was a lot of fun. I went back a couple times, just to join the crowds. Night time is best.
Old Mar 24, 18, 11:27 pm

Dog Heart dog cafe in Yoyogi Hachiman is a fun experience for an animal lover - you can play with the sixteen dogs there, or take one of them out for a walk in the park. (Reservations are highly recommended.)

Some museums that were popular with my younger relatives - Drum Museum in Ueno, Fire Museum in Yotsuya, History Garage in Aomi (for automobile fans), Metro Museum in Edogawa-ku (for subway fans), National Museum of Science and Nature in Ueno (an excellent natural history museum). All listed at Activities for younger kids - Where In Tokyo

Sunshine City Alpa in Ikebukuro has a number of attractions of interest, including Tokyo's only Pokemon Mega Store, a dumpling theme park called Gyoza Stadium, a manga-centered mini-theme park called J World, a very nice aquarium, and a 60th-floor observation deck.
evergrn likes this.
Old Mar 25, 18, 5:45 pm

Programs: UA AA MR HH B6
RisuPia looks fun...

A few more from me
Also in Odaiba...Panasonic competitor sony with Sony ExploraScience
In Kanagawa: Mitsubishi museum Mitsubishi Minatomirai Industrial Museum Kinda near Cup Noodle museum and other random stuff in Yokohama
In Saitama is a big train museum THE RAILWAY MUSEUM
There are other "big" temples nearby in Kawasaki Kawasaki Daishi Heikenji Temple and Tokyo (Nishiarai) http://www.visiting-japan.com/en/art...rai-daishi.htm
Old Mar 25, 18, 8:04 pm

Programs: KF Silver (lol)
Originally Posted by lobsterdog View Post
Dog Heart dog cafe in Yoyogi Hachiman is a fun experience for an animal lover - you can play with the sixteen dogs there, or take one of them out for a walk in the park. (Reservations are highly recommended.)
In a similar vein, there are owl cafes (I've been to Ikefukuro) and hedgehog cafes (Harry).

I guess the cup ice museum at sunshine city might be interesting for all the weird flavours too.

Search this Thread

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: