Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Japan
Reload this Page >

Hotels in Tokyo over NYE

Hotels in Tokyo over NYE

Old Mar 17, 2018, 4:39 am

Originally Posted by LapLap
Really? What are those different things? I tend to go with Tokyo based Japanese people and, outside of the excellent museums and showrooms, none of them are sure what they are. It would be great to know for future visits.

You say it's culturally barren. But for us and our family/friends, it's a place that can provide hours of fun. Odaiba is endless array of amusement and shopping. There're different events and stores that may not be of much interest unless you're always watching Japanese TV/DVD like us. Fuji TV complex is fun to visit every couple years. One of the larger Disney stores there, too. My kids in particular can spend all day in Odaiba. There's a little Showa era area that sells things that I grew up and can reminesce about. There's the view of iconic Rainbow Bridge. It's a place I used to hang out with wife before we got married (as do lot of young couples).

Mind you, it's not my most favorite area personally. For similar purpose, I prefer Minatomirai.

Originally Posted by LapLap
Just checked, Odaiba's RiSuPia, the Miraikan and Sony ExploraScience centre are all closed on the 31st December and the 1st January.
I thought the shopping/amusement complexes in Odaiba are open on New Years Day. I could be wrong, but I thought most of them were open. It sounds like those are mostly museums you're mentioning, but I'm not familiar with those places actually. For us, Odaiba is about the malls, events, game centers and generally just hanging out.
LapLap likes this.
Old Mar 17, 2018, 7:06 am

Programs: AA PtPro (2 MM); Hilton Diamond; Hertz President Cr; DL SkyMiles; UA MileagePlus
Originally Posted by evergrn
I thought the shopping/amusement complexes in Odaiba are open on New Years Day. I could be wrong,...
It is a trend of past few years. Long time ago everything was pretty much closed from Dec. 31 to Jan. 3 in Japan.

Then 30 - 20 years ago large department stores and other tourist attractions started to open for a business during New Year.

However, past few years trend is reversing. Business are deciding to close for New Year to give employees time with family during holiday. More and more businesses are deciding to close for New Year every year. Predicted that more businesses will be closed for New Year 2019 compare with New Year 2018.
jib71 likes this.
Old Mar 17, 2018, 8:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by evergrn
For similar purpose, I prefer Minatomirai.
Me too.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.