Reload this Page >

White Day and Cherry Blossom 2018

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

White Day and Cherry Blossom 2018

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6, 2018, 8:18 pm

Myogadani looks like it would have a beautiful stretch of blossoms but sadly they're all gone now.

The winds have been very, very strong with rain overnight
Old Apr 12, 2018, 5:19 pm

Programs: BA BD SA
Takayama

Takayama is in bloom - probably a day or two before the height? (The cherry trees overhanging the picturesque Nakabashi bridge, in particular, are attracting hordes of tourists.) Which is perfect timing for their Spring festival this weekend. (Unfortunately heavy rain is forecast for Sunday afternoon, so tomorrow is probably the ideal day.)

Everywhere we have been the camellias have coincided with the cherries; in Takayama the magnolias are very prominent.

That brings our Sakura season to an end - not bad for people who said they weren’t going to chase cherry blossoms!
Old Apr 12, 2018, 5:31 pm

Osaka mint is in full bloom and beautiful but very crowded and not relaxing. Security everywhere shouting on megaphones. Still a very impressive site.
Old Apr 16, 2018, 2:29 am

Programs: BA BD SA
Sorry to resurrect this thread with non-cherry stuff - but my info is flower related.

Over the weekend we were in the Kiso Valley and there are still cherry blossoms at the higher altitude. But the real visual feast was flowering peach blossoms: swathes of white, pink and red blossoms - the red so intense it hurts your eyes.

Back in Tokyo, those who missed the cherry blossoms can still get a flower fix at the Bunkyo Azalea Festival at the Nezu Shrine in Bunkyo.
https://www.timeout.com/tokyo/things...zalea-festival
Currently breathtakingly beautiful (I literally gasped when I came face to face with the display) the festival goes on until early May. Definitely worth a visit. Lots of people (though very few Caucasians - it doesn’t appear to have reached the guide books yet) and plenty of food stalls. One subway stop away from the serene, majestic Koishikawa Korakuen Gardens - so you can soothe your eyes with greenery (and some wisteria which is just starting to bloom) after the riotous colours of the azaleas.
LapLap likes this.

Last edited by Cheetah_SA; Apr 16, 2018 at 7:10 am
Old Apr 16, 2018, 3:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Nezu shrine is well covered In guide books, but the azaleas have only just burst into blossom in the last few days, it may take a while for visitors to catch up to the fact that they are in bloom. Azaleas have a good long season in Tokyo - they are the flower I most associate with the city.
We are leaving early tomorrow, but saw wisteria (my favourite) at Denboin gardens in Asakusa today. Looking forward to more wisteria next year - when Easter is later.
Cheetah_SA likes this.
Old Apr 16, 2018, 3:26 pm

I was in Tenpyo No Oka park in Tochigi prefecture mid-last week and the trees are still in full bloom

天平の丘公園の桜 https://hanami.walkerplus.com/detail/ar0309e23377/

It's a long ride on the local Utsunomiya line out of Tokyo to JR Koganei, but entirely reachable as a half day trip without a JR pass. You can reserve a green car seat on the platform with a Suica card (no mobile suica) or just ride the regular cars (metro style, not ltd. express style seating). There's a taxi rank with 1,000 yen flat fare to the park during the flower festival period along the right hand side of the JR Koganei Station. Pick up is also by calling the Taxi companies and the park office just a little bit behind the taxi pick-up spot helped me call for a pick up around 17:00 (I don't speak Japanese & this is definitely a local's mostly area).
Cheetah_SA likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.