Tokyo Cruise - which line?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Tokyo Cruise - which line?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 14, 2018, 11:54 am
Original Poster

Does anyone know anything about this Meguro River cruise?
https://www.govoyagin.com/activities...uro-river/5019

I can't seem to find any info outside of this agency site... I was unaware that anything other than small personal vessels like kayaks could navigate Meguro River (at least the stretches along Nakameguro where sakura are most prominent) but it would be pretty spectacular to float along the river at the height of cherry blossom season, I'd imagine.
Old Mar 15, 2018, 6:52 am

Programs: BA BD SA
Originally Posted by LapLap
If you do miss the Sakura in Tokyo, I recommend catching them at Matsumoto Castle.
Well it seems that we could fairly easily visit Matsumoto en route from Tokyo to Takayama. So it is definitely a consideration (depending on forecasts closer to the time). Two questions, though, if the cognoscenti would be so kind:

- Is it just the castle that one needs to visit or should one also include sakura spots like Koboyama (2000 cherry trees!) and others?
- Is it safe to assume that there will be seats available on the bus from Matsumoto to Takayama on the day?

Last edited by Cheetah_SA; Mar 15, 2018 at 1:15 pm Reason: spelling! ugh...
Old Mar 15, 2018, 7:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

My kid was 6 when I took her to Matsumoto. Since we'd enjoyed the endless Sakura of 2016 in Tokyo I wasn't thinking of cherry blossoms when I took her to experience my favourite castle in Japan. For that reason I didn't plan a walk over to Koboyama. But I know it's an additional incentive to visit Matsumoto. The Sakura around the castle was really special, and my own highlight of what was already a stunning season. (As mentioned I really do love the castle.) Given the freedom to choose I would go to Kobayama also, but the castle grounds are enough of a reason.

I haven't yet gone by bus, all I can tell you was that Matsumoto itself, even during full bloom, had a healthy amount of visitors. It wasn't crowded at all - as most of the viewing spots in Tokyo were, and the tourists we spoke to, most seemed to be on tours. That year I took advantage of the last JR East pass that included Matsumoto and Sendai. I'll probably take my daughter back when she's older, then we'll go by bus.

If you do go, and you go past it, pop into the Tourist Information Centre at the main railway station. As well as being incredibly helpful and charming, the ladies there gave us the most beautiful 8 sided origami box (made with 16 papers). It's still a treasured possession that reminds us of our wonderful visit.
Cheetah_SA likes this.
Old Mar 15, 2018, 8:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Depending on your itinerary, an alternative to the bus would be tacking on a 70 minute and 1,140 yen train ride (from Kobuchizawa to Matsumoto) to a JR East Tokyo Wide pass (10,000yen for 3 consecutive days of travel - 3,333yen a day).
It means that anybody using the Tokyo Wide Pass can go to Matsumoto for the day for a 1,140yen x 2 supplement (2,280yen).
You'd get the Ltd Express Super Azusa from Shinjuku to Kobuchizawa. Get off and change to the Chuo line. The slower train takes 69 minutes for the remainder of the journey to Matsumoto (the Super Azusa 42 minutes)
Old Mar 15, 2018, 8:32 am

Programs: UA, NW
Originally Posted by Cheetah_SA
Well it seems that we could fairly easily visit Matsumoto en route from Tokyo to Takayama. So it is definitely a consideration (depending on forecasts closer to the time). Two questions, though, if the cognoscenti would be so kind:

- Is it just the castle that one needs to visit or should one also include sakura spots like Koboyama (2000 cherry trees!) and others?
- Is it safe to assume that there will be seats available on the bus from Matsumoto to Tokoyama on the day?
I haven't done that trip in years, but I had no trouble getting seats on that bus, which I took in the opposite direction. It's quite a scenic trip, and one of the rest stops is above timberline--I found it to be refreshingly cold in August. As I recall, there is more than one trip per day.
Cheetah_SA likes this.
Old Mar 15, 2018, 9:05 am

Programs: DL FO 1MM
Originally Posted by Cheetah_SA

- Is it safe to assume that there will be seats available on the bus from Matsumoto to Tokoyama on the day?
I didn't go to Koboyama, but I did go to Matsumoto during hanami season once, and took lots of pictures in the castle area.
http://bit.ly/2IqLxJ3 has a bunch of them so you can see from some context.

I probably would have tried to go to Koboyama if I had known about it! But I was quite happy with what I saw at the castle, especially since we had missed the season the previous days in Tokyo.
Cheetah_SA and LapLap like this.
Old Mar 15, 2018, 9:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

angra - some of those moat pictures are spectacular. They look like an overhead glimpse at the clouds and mountains of another world.
Old Mar 15, 2018, 10:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

OliverB - I think the photograph in the link you included showing a green river bed is misleading. I'm pretty sure this is what the cruise would be like: https://www.zeal.ne.jp/plan/145.html You'd miss the crowds up top, but you'd also miss the Matsuri atmosphere. If I saw you down there I wouldn't be envying your viewpoint.
Old Mar 15, 2018, 8:22 pm
Original Poster

Thanks LapLap!

On a related boating + cherry blossom question, how difficult or rather how long would one expect to wait for the swan boat rentals at Inokashira Onshi Park during peak bloom? We're planning to visit on a Tuesday afternoon (coinciding with the 03/27 sakura forecast) but I imagine the park will be packed with hanami goers nonetheless. Will there be long lines for the swan boats and paddle boats on Inokashira Pond and since tickets are purchased via vending machine (from what I gather online) how exactly does it work when there's a queue for the boats... or does that never really happen?
Old Mar 15, 2018, 9:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
Originally Posted by OliverB
Thanks LapLap!

On a related boating + cherry blossom question, how difficult or rather how long would one expect to wait for the swan boat rentals at Inokashira Onshi Park during peak bloom? We're planning to visit on a Tuesday afternoon (coinciding with the 03/27 sakura forecast) but I imagine the park will be packed with hanami goers nonetheless. Will there be long lines for the swan boats and paddle boats on Inokashira Pond and since tickets are purchased via vending machine (from what I gather online) how exactly does it work when there's a queue for the boats... or does that never really happen?
Probably a fuggedaboutit moment. You thought getting a reservation at Saito was tough? Wait till you want to ride the rowboats at Inokashira or Chidorigafuji moat during Sakura season...
Old Mar 15, 2018, 9:58 pm
Original Poster

Bummer! :-(

We were planning for both but it sounds like we'll have to experience them vicariously...

How does it work... people queuing hours in advance or something?

Can tickets be purchased by vending machine in advance or it's a first come, first served system?

Absolutely no chance on a Wednesday afternoon? Are we talking half-a-day wait? If so, would that entail standing in line for tickets the entire time, or could we potentially purchase tickets for --:-- time, hang out in the park, visit the shrine, zoo, nearby Ghibli Museum, etc?

Edit: This blog post makes it sound possible for Chidorigafuchi if we were to show up at 8:15 am, which I'd be willing to do: https://tiptoeingworld.com/2017/04/c...ossom-viewing/

Last edited by OliverB; Mar 15, 2018 at 10:20 pm
Old Mar 16, 2018, 12:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If you haven't already purchased Ghibli Museum tickets, I don't see that being an option either.

You are planning on going to a lot of the Sakura hot spots. They are going to be crammed. On the other hand, it's easy enough to avoid the masses by making slightly "alternative" choices.
If you want to go boating without massive queues, go to the Showa Kinen Koen (Showa Memorial Park) in Tachikawa (just a little further from Kichijoji on the same rail line from Shinjuku). Showa park has it's own gorgeous area for Sakura, it just isn't around the lake - which is beautiful on its own terms.
(For a boat you make your reservation/booking using a vending machine, pedaloes and row boats are available).
There's also an excellent small restaurant/cafe near the boat house, perfect for lunch.
Showa Kinen Koen (like the Nihon Minka En, another of my favourite places) never feels crowded, even when visitor numbers are at their highest. Only trouble you might have is securing a rental bicycle (recommended - they lock and let you explore)
OliverB likes this.
Old Mar 16, 2018, 1:35 am
Original Poster

Thanks LapLap, that's a huge help!

Are the long queues and wait times for the vending machines themselves or can you generally walk up to the machines but find that they only allow you to rent hours later because they show availability based on everyone who've gotten to the machines before and rented ahead of you?

In other words, would you get to a machine at 10am and find there's only availability at 4pm because so many people are ahead of you, but still able to rent for later in the day, just with a long interval?
Is the wait at popular destinations for access to the vending machines or the boats? I'm asking because if we're able to get a rental say 6 hours out from the time we show up, then we could leave and do other activities, eat lunch, etc and return with our receipt from the machine later in the day. I have a feeling that's probably not how it works although I'm not sure why it's not set up more efficiently as that would seem to make a lot more sense.I don't really mind the crowds... it may not be my prefered way to do the hanami thing, but it seems to be part of the whole experience and the teeming crowds kind of add to the festival vibe with families and kids enjoying themselves everywhere... it looks like a lot of fun!

Last edited by OliverB; Mar 16, 2018 at 1:52 am
Old Mar 16, 2018, 2:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by OliverB
Thanks LapLap, that's a huge help!
Are the long queues and wait times for the vending machines themselves or can you generally walk up to the machines but find that they only allow you to rent hours later because they show availability based on everyone who've gotten to the machines before and rented ahead of you?
It's easy at Showa Kinen Koen. That's all I can tell you. No idea about hiring at Chidorigafuji or Inokashira during full bloom. Your 8:15am idea seems the most effective way to avoid hours of queuing.
Crowds will be there, personally I rather like the ambience at Meguro.
But it's not essential. Did lots of sakura themed activities during our last Spring visit and didn't come across huge crowds for most of them. Mix it up.
Old Mar 16, 2018, 9:51 am
Original Poster

Thank you again!

If anyone has more info on how the boat rental process works at the famous sakura destinations, I'd love to know... perhaps I should email our concierge to inquire about this.

Re. Ghibli Museum, it's no big loss as I've just browsed through photos on TripAdvisor and it doesn't really look like my thing; I'm not that big of a fan anyhow!

I would love to know of a great reasonably priced wine shop near Inokashira Koen where I might be able to pick up a good imported bottle of rose champagne (Laurent-Perrier or Billecart-Salmon) for our hanami outing... I understand that it will be incredibly difficult to find any green space to lay out on due to the teeming crowds (I've seen videos on YouTube!) but I'm sure we could find a patch of earth somewhere to park ourselves for an hour or so. It could also be some place nearer to the Ritz, though I assume prices will be inflated anywhere near Roppongi.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.