Wiki Posts
Search

Narita plans for third runway

Search this Thread

Old Mar 14, 2018, 10:49 pm

Programs: JL QF NZ
Originally Posted by evergrn
+1.
Why? I don't know the exact level of need for a 3rd runway at NRT. But people should have reasons to be skeptical of any government projections/proposals like that, and Kobe and Shizuoka are the exact reasons why.

I'm sure NRT could use another runway. But no matter how you slice it, the level of necessity for another runway in 2018 has got to be way less than it was back in 2000 when NRT had a single runway and HND had 1 less runway and minimal share of TYO's international service.
Sure, being skeptical is fine, but automatically tarring every project with the same brush just because some provincial government wanted to stamp their "contribution" on the landscape is hardly fair. The demand in 2018 is way more than 2000. Just look at the recent increases in travellers to Japan.
Old Mar 15, 2018, 6:25 am

Programs: Tokyo Monorail Diamond-Encrusted-Platinum
Originally Posted by 777Cat3b
Comparing NRT expansion with Ibaraki, Kobe or Shizuoka is pretty tough though.
Decisions relating to Kobe and the other two major airports in Kansai would be quite relevant and on a comparable scale. But my observation is not limited to airports.
Old Mar 16, 2018, 5:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Narita Airport to get 3rd runway to meet demand, operate longer?The Asahi Shimbun

More info released yesterday. The runway extension will be first and begin construction end in time for 2020 ! Note the land owners remain in the middle of the 2nd runway and taxiways. Hours will also increase with a phased in approach.
LapLap and evergrn like this.
Old Mar 16, 2018, 11:45 pm

Originally Posted by Q Shoe Guy
Narita Airport to get 3rd runway to meet demand, operate longer?The Asahi Shimbun

More info released yesterday. The runway extension will be first and begin construction end in time for 2020 ! Note the land owners remain in the middle of the 2nd runway and taxiways. Hours will also increase with a phased in approach.
Looking at the diagram on this link, it seems like the airport acreage will have to almost double just to add one more runway. That seems so costly and impractical.

If they just expanded the hours by 2-3 hours, expanded Runway B to 3500 meters, and then added more gates between T1-South & T2, wouldn't they be able to substantially increase capacity at a much lower cost? I'm not an expert and I'm sure there's a lot that goes into dictating an airport's capacity. But I still wonder if it's necessary to create more runways to increase NRT's capacity, as LHR and HKG are both 2-runway airports with almost double NRT's passenger traffic.

In fact, I predict that they will plan this in 3 stages, where stages 1 & 2 will be adding more gates and expanding runway B, then stage 3 will be runway C, and then they will just end up completing stages 1 & 2 and the 3rd stage gets shelved. Wouldn't it serve "local revitalization" better it they reallocated the Runway C budget to something else such as creating a research/medical/business complex next to the airport like the project at ICN?
Old Mar 17, 2018, 9:17 am

Programs: Tokyo Monorail Diamond-Encrusted-Platinum
That seems so costly and impractical.
Costly and impractical is Narita Airport's middle name.
In fact, I predict that they will plan this in 3 stages, where stages 1 & 2 will be adding more gates ...
Nah. That might obviate the need for the new runway. To ensure big orders for lots of concrete and steel, you must build large pieces of infrastructure at great distances from where it's needed, and then make the case for connecting them up. See the Kyushu Shinkansen for example.
evergrn likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.