21 Hour overnight layover in KIX

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19, 2018, 12:22 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K 0.7MM (trying to get to 1MM!)

Hi all...looking for a bit of recommendation of where to go/stay in Osaka (and how to get there). We'll be flying into KIX on Monday afternoon around 16:00, then flying out the following afternoon around 13:00. I was looking into staying at the Moxy Osaka Honmachi that evening. Is that an okay hotel/location? I'm not looking for anything fancy...I have Marriott status so I thought staying at a Marriott property might give me a few extra points.

I figured we could check in, drop off our bags, then go check out the city/lights, then we could get up early the next day, go see the castle, maybe walk around a park, etc, and then head back to the airport. Any other recommendations for this quick trip?

Also, how/where do we get public transportation from the airport to the city? Is it rather straightforward? It looks like one option is to take the Nankai-Limited Express bus to Tengachaya station, and then transfer to a metro and take that to Honmachi station. And then what about transportation in the city, as well as back to the airport?

Thanks! ^
Old Jan 19, 2018, 6:13 pm

Programs: UA MP
I think it sounds like a reasonable plan for the day.

I live in Osaka (and my work is less than a 5 minute walk away from this hotel - I walked past it when it was being converted.... never realized it was going to be a Marriott. The area is a business area, so would be a bit quiet at night. For going from the airport, transfer to the Sakaisuji line at Tengachaya and get off at Sakaisuji Honmachi - for other trains you'll take it'd be perhaps easier to walk to Honmachi then get on there - that is what most people do.
Old Jan 19, 2018, 9:36 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by acregal
I think it sounds like a reasonable plan for the day.

I live in Osaka (and my work is less than a 5 minute walk away from this hotel - I walked past it when it was being converted.... never realized it was going to be a Marriott. The area is a business area, so would be a bit quiet at night. For going from the airport, transfer to the Sakaisuji line at Tengachaya and get off at Sakaisuji Honmachi - for other trains you'll take it'd be perhaps easier to walk to Honmachi then get on there - that is what most people do.
What about Kyoto? Is it worth it to take the extra time to go there instead? We won't arrive until after dark (no matter if we go to Osaka or Kyoto), leaving any sort of park visit out of the question until the morning, I'd assume. Or is it worth it to see the temples in Kyoto at night?

I have read that the Dotonbori area in Osaka has many things to see at night (since a lot of it is open 24 hours), so that's why we were leaning toward something like that, along with getting a bit of history the next day by seeing the castle. We are not looking for a club, etc, to go to at night, just something to see/do while we're in the area. I'd hate to squander the few hours that we actually have in Japan!

Any recommendations of a good place to get dinner while we're in town (either Osaka or Kyoto)? Not looking for something fancy/expensive, just something good/traditional (my girlfriend LOVES sushi, so any recommendations there would be great!)!

Thanks again!
Old Jan 19, 2018, 10:21 pm

Programs: UA, NW
The temples in Kyoto are usually closed at night except for certain times of the year (autumn leaf and/or cherry blossom season) when they are lit and open in the evening. Your best bet for sights there, other than the usual bars and restaurants would be to hang around in Pontocho on the off chance of seeing some geisha or maiko (apprentice geisha) traveling between appointments. If you were going to Kyoto in the summer, I'd suggest spending the evening in a riverside beer garden, but that's for summer.
Osaka Castle is a concrete replica of the original, which was destroyed during World War II.
Old Jan 20, 2018, 5:25 am

Programs: Tokyo Monorail Diamond-Encrusted-Platinum
The pre-WW2 Osaka castle was also a replica of the original (from the 1920s, I think). In the 1950s, as Osaka emerged from near-total destruction (over 80% of buildings in the city were destroyed), the citizens of Osaka decided to build another replica. For this reason, Osaka castle is my favourite replica castle. But that's a bit like saying that strawberry-flavor pop-tarts are my favourite pop-tarts. (Given the choice between real strawberries and strawberry pop tarts, I think I'd choose the real thing).

EDIT: There's a lot more to the history of Osaka castle than one can fit into a Flyertalk post:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Osaka_Castle

Last edited by jib71; Jan 20, 2018 at 6:45 am
Old Jan 20, 2018, 8:54 am

Programs: DL FO 1MM
For food, I've recently become a big fan of kushikatsu, which is a specialty of Osaka. It's not sushi, and probably not even traditional, but it is unique and a fun way to get fed.
Old Jan 20, 2018, 8:06 pm

Programs: UA MP
Originally Posted by mpiotrow
What about Kyoto? Is it worth it to take the extra time to go there instead? We won't arrive until after dark (no matter if we go to Osaka or Kyoto), leaving any sort of park visit out of the question until the morning, I'd assume. Or is it worth it to see the temples in Kyoto at night?

I have read that the Dotonbori area in Osaka has many things to see at night (since a lot of it is open 24 hours), so that's why we were leaning toward something like that, along with getting a bit of history the next day by seeing the castle. We are not looking for a club, etc, to go to at night, just something to see/do while we're in the area. I'd hate to squander the few hours that we actually have in Japan!

Any recommendations of a good place to get dinner while we're in town (either Osaka or Kyoto)? Not looking for something fancy/expensive, just something good/traditional (my girlfriend LOVES sushi, so any recommendations there would be great!)!

Thanks again!
For Kyoto, while the hotel is close to Keihan, it would still take an hour to get there. Fushimi Inari is open all the time, so if you woke up at 6 AM and left there and the weather was good (so summer) it might be worth it, but there are a lot of ifs there and I don't know if its worth risking it with an international flight and limited time.

For food, Fugetsu ( https://fugetsu.jp/en/ )is always good - it is basically described as a Japanese pancake (basically batter, shredded cabbage, meat and seafood), which is cooked in front of you. For sushi, I really like the sushi restaurant in Lucua - it is really delicious and their sets are around 2,000-3,000 yen https://www.lucua.jp/lucua/lang/engl...?c=shop&pk=528
Old Jan 20, 2018, 9:45 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by acregal
For Kyoto, while the hotel is close to Keihan, it would still take an hour to get there. Fushimi Inari is open all the time, so if you woke up at 6 AM and left there and the weather was good (so summer) it might be worth it, but there are a lot of ifs there and I don't know if its worth risking it with an international flight and limited time.

For food, Fugetsu ( https://fugetsu.jp/en/ )is always good - it is basically described as a Japanese pancake (basically batter, shredded cabbage, meat and seafood), which is cooked in front of you. For sushi, I really like the sushi restaurant in Lucua - it is really delicious and their sets are around 2,000-3,000 yen https://www.lucua.jp/lucua/lang/engl...?c=shop&pk=528
I was actually thinking of staying in Kyoto instead of Osaka, not just making a day trip out there before our flight. We would take the airport shuttle bus straight there after we land. Because we land at 16:30, I’m not sure if it’s worth it though since I don’t know how much there is to see after dark in Kyoto. Would it just make more sense to stay in Osaka instead?

We’ve never been to japan before (other than being in transit in the airport), so this will be the first real experience! And we definitely won’t be there in summer....we arrive this Monday, just over 24hours from now!
Old Jan 20, 2018, 10:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Osaka is like a city that never sleeps. A lot more to do, eat and see in the nighttime than Kyoto.
Old Jan 21, 2018, 3:49 am

Given you have to be heading back to the airport by 10:00am there’s not much you can do the next morning beyond go for a walk in a park and Osaka castle is perfectly fine for that. If it was me I’d maximise the nighttime, head for dotonbori and have a really good night out. Monday night is one of the quieter nights but still no problem staying out to 3 or 4 and visiting a bunch of bars and restaurants.

If if you’d rather a culturally focussed trip I’d stay in Kyoto near the station, go for dinner somewhere like gion/pontocho then get up early (like 6:00am early) and do fushimi inari hiking up the mountain just a bit and if you can head north to the neighbouring temples. Get back to hotel by 10, grab bags and take airport express to the airport. It’s pretty cliche but it’s your first trip to japan and it’s one night, cliche is perfectly fine.
Old Jan 21, 2018, 3:50 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Aventine
Osaka is like a city that never sleeps. A lot more to do, eat and see in the nighttime than Kyoto.
Yeah, I realize that Osaka is much more of a modern city, which is what makes us want to visit Kyoto even more! However, I’m just not sure if there is enough to see after dark in Kyoto. We are not really interested in the city aspect, so much as we’d like to see a few temples, etc. The only reason for staying in Osaka was the shorter time to get there...we’d much rather see Kyoto!
Old Jan 21, 2018, 4:03 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by IMOA
Given you have to be heading back to the airport by 10:00am there’s not much you can do the next morning beyond go for a walk in a park and Osaka castle is perfectly fine for that. If it was me I’d maximise the nighttime, head for dotonbori and have a really good night out. Monday night is one of the quieter nights but still no problem staying out to 3 or 4 and visiting a bunch of bars and restaurants.

If if you’d rather a culturally focussed trip I’d stay in Kyoto near the station, go for dinner somewhere like gion/pontocho then get up early (like 6:00am early) and do fushimi inari hiking up the mountain just a bit and if you can head north to the neighbouring temples. Get back to hotel by 10, grab bags and take airport express to the airport. It’s pretty cliche but it’s your first trip to japan and it’s one night, cliche is perfectly fine.
Thanks for the suggestion...sounds like something that may work out great! Is leaving at 10:00 early enough to catch a flight at 13:15, though?
Old Jan 21, 2018, 7:32 am

Programs: Former UA Premex, now dirt
Originally Posted by mpiotrow

Thanks for the suggestion...sounds like something that may work out great! Is leaving at 10:00 early enough to catch a flight at 13:15, though?
To and from Kyoto Station, I'd just use the JR Haruka airport express train. It takes about 75-80 minutes each way, is comfortable and has luggage space on each car. Arrival at KIX is in the lower level of the terminal building. The 10:00 am Haruka from Kyoto Station arrives at KIX at 11:20 am, plenty of time for your flight. Make your return seat reservations at the same time you book your KIX-Kyoto leg to avoid hassles on the return.

If your hotel in Kyoto is not right in the station building, there are many cabs right outside.
Old Jan 21, 2018, 7:33 am

There’s a Haruka which leaves Kyoto station at 10:00 and gets in a KIX at 11:24. I’d be comfortable catching that for an 13:15 flight. There’s another one at 10:30 which gets in at 11:50 which would get you there just in time if something goes badly wrong somewhere however I’d be treating that as the ‘safety’ rather than the primary option.
Old Jan 21, 2018, 11:06 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by abmj-jr
To and from Kyoto Station, I'd just use the JR Haruka airport express train. It takes about 75-80 minutes each way, is comfortable and has luggage space on each car. Arrival at KIX is in the lower level of the terminal building. The 10:00 am Haruka from Kyoto Station arrives at KIX at 11:20 am, plenty of time for your flight. Make your return seat reservations at the same time you book your KIX-Kyoto leg to avoid hassles on the return.

If your hotel in Kyoto is not right in the station building, there are many cabs right outside.
I’m looking at staying at the Lake Biwa Marriott. According to their website, they have a shuttle bus that picks up from the Katata train station. Near as I can tell, this is the route we’d take by train. Does this seem right? https://www.rome2rio.com/s/Osaka-Kan...Katata-Station

Does anyone know if I have to call ahead for the shuttle, or does it just run on a set schedule, etc?

How can I book train tickets ahead of time? Or is it easiest to just buy tickets at a train station there, and reserve seats for the return trip at that time? Also, are there going to be English signs (saying Katata, etc) or will everything be in Japanese?

Sorry for all the questions...thanks again!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.