Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Japan
Reload this Page >

Is there a lot of allergy meds at the convenience stores?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is there a lot of allergy meds at the convenience stores?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 5, 2018, 6:46 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by MikeFromTokyo
Narcotic analgesics or other controlled substances would warrant caution. They aren’t after your Claritin or Zyrtec.
Unless it's Claritin-D or Zyrtec-D...
Old Feb 5, 2018, 6:48 pm

Programs: RFC
Originally Posted by ksandness
When I lived in Japan many years ago, I used Stona-Rhini, I never bothered to find out what was in it after the pharmacist recommended it, but it was so sedative that I could hardly keep awake.
In 2006 I discovered Stonarhini's main ingredient is a medical grade datura derivative. I read this just as the plane got to ~30,000 feet and I'd downed my second Moscow Mule. I took double the suggested dose ("because Japanese meds are weak" (ha!)) and then spent the next 3 hours of the flight to Singapore basically tripping balls.
codex57, LapLap and MikeFromTokyo like this.
Old Feb 6, 2018, 11:52 am

Originally Posted by rustykettel
Unless it's Claritin-D or Zyrtec-D...
Yes, pseudoephedrine is something I wouldn’t want to bring with me. The OP says he takes Claritin and Zyretec generics, so I assume regular loratadine and ceterizine. If someone had an unopened box of that from a pharmacy, I can’t imagine that being a problem.

I take Aerius (desloratidine) and travel everywhere with that.
Old Feb 7, 2018, 9:09 am

Programs: UA, NW
Originally Posted by JamesBigglesworth
In 2006 I discovered Stonarhini's main ingredient is a medical grade datura derivative. I read this just as the plane got to ~30,000 feet and I'd downed my second Moscow Mule. I took double the suggested dose ("because Japanese meds are weak" (ha!)) and then spent the next 3 hours of the flight to Singapore basically tripping balls.
Wow, I had no idea--that Stona-Rhini contains datura or even what datura is. I had to look it up. No wonder those pills knocked me out, even at Japanese doses and despite the fact that I'm both taller and wider than the average Japanese person.
Old Feb 7, 2018, 11:44 pm

Originally Posted by MikeFromTokyo
Yes, pseudoephedrine is something I wouldn’t want to bring with me.
If you bring in Sudafed (the original pseudoephedrine kind), don't declare it and get caught with it, it's highly debatable as to whether/not you should get into trouble. One could start out by saying "this is a common OTC medicine in US for cold/congestion" and, depending on how the conversation goes, remind the officer that the rule says one can bring in med with pseudoephedrine as long as it doesn't exceed 10% (and show the document). At this point, the question becomes whether your Sudafed is <10% pseudoephedrine. But then how do you define concentration with a pill? That 10% stipulation is rather goofy. The officer might then not know what to do and may just decide to confiscate it. But it's difficult to justify them prosecuting/deporting you for not declaring something that was listed as arguably permissible on the Japanese customs document. I'm not suggesting it's fine to bring in Sudafed. I'm just saying it may not be conclusive that Sudafed is not allowed into Jpn.
Old Feb 9, 2018, 9:33 pm

Programs: RFC
Originally Posted by evergrn
I'm not suggesting it's fine to bring in Sudafed. I'm just saying it may not be conclusive that Sudafed is not allowed into Jpn.
You're suggesting someone try arguing with a Customs officer? I strongly urge you to try and it and let us know how you get on. Once you get out, that is.
Old Feb 9, 2018, 11:31 pm

Originally Posted by JamesBigglesworth
You're suggesting someone try arguing with a Customs officer? I strongly urge you to try and it and let us know how you get on. Once you get out, that is.
I did not suggest that. My point was it's debatable as to whether Sudafed is even a restricted item for a visitor to Jpn. I didn't make any suggestion beyond that. If you misunderstood, maybe I should've made things clearer. But I really don't care for your aggressive tone.
muji likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.