Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Japan
Reload this Page >

Advice for my trip to Japan?

Advice for my trip to Japan?

Old Jan 22, 2018, 11:45 am

Programs: Free agent!
Originally Posted by LapLap
There's a Rakuten associated tour agency that offer Mario Cart drives/tours around Tokyo. I'd assumed the OP meant something like that.
I've seen people in Halloween Costumes in groups doing it.
I also think I may have read that there are authorities trying to crack down on the practice, so I don't how much longer this service will be available for.
One of the articles I've read about the crackdown.

I actually saw a group over by the SkyTree when I was in Tokyo a few weeks back and was annoyed by it. To be fair, they weren't doing anything particularly annoying but I am also a curmudgeon Most of them were wearing costumes like one of the characters from the game. I'm sure it's a mostly harmless thing to do but it also seems really daft, which is how I feel about stuff like the Robot Restaurant. YMMV, obviously.
Old Jan 22, 2018, 12:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Originally Posted by kevincrumbs
One of the articles I've read about the crackdown.

I actually saw a group over by the SkyTree when I was in Tokyo a few weeks back and was annoyed by it. To be fair, they weren't doing anything particularly annoying but I am also a curmudgeon Most of them were wearing costumes like one of the characters from the game. I'm sure it's a mostly harmless thing to do but it also seems really daft, which is how I feel about stuff like the Robot Restaurant. YMMV, obviously.
Hi,

I saw them around Roppongi and a couple of other areas when I was in tokyo in early January.

Regards

tbs
Old Jan 22, 2018, 1:19 pm

Zerotai - its probably not going to be as exciting as you think however if you want to then make sure you hire a car overnight and go down to daikoku futo in Yokohama. While its not what it was 15 years ago people still do gather there with some interesting cars. And talking of games, I think, can’t be sure, but I think the photo Lap Lap took is actually from the R246 track in Gran Turismo. The rendering in the game is a very very accurate representation of real life so quite eerie if you walk around it. If there’s any car stuff you want to see in Japan just ask and there’s a good chance I can help you.
Old Jan 23, 2018, 1:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by IMOA
Zerotai - its probably not going to be as exciting as you think however if you want to then make sure you hire a car overnight and go down to daikoku futo in Yokohama. While its not what it was 15 years ago people still do gather there with some interesting cars. And talking of games, I think, can’t be sure, but I think the photo Lap Lap took is actually from the R246 track in Gran Turismo. The rendering in the game is a very very accurate representation of real life so quite eerie if you walk around it. If there’s any car stuff you want to see in Japan just ask and there’s a good chance I can help you.
You got it!
And it's completely inaccessible to cars on days when the area is closed to traffic.
Old Jan 23, 2018, 2:12 am

Originally Posted by LapLap

The day after.
​​​​​​​
Scootie cutie!
Old Jan 23, 2018, 2:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

More of a tearaway terror
Old Jan 23, 2018, 3:37 am

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
Originally Posted by Zerotai
Thanks for all the recommendations, seems like a few FT members would be in Japan during my time frame, perhaps we could get together or something haha.

By driving around in Tokyo, I literally meant renting a car and driving around the Tokyo highway. I am a car guy and played arcade games like Wangan Midnight that features tokyo highways, (ie. C1 route) Probably is a bad idea due to heavy traffic but will explore the option if that works out.

As for mario cart, I completely forgot about that. I'll have to research if they're still offering the service at that time. I actually thought it was some sort of a joke and not a real company running it.

I booked my ticket for a whopping 1.5k cad

YYZ - HKG Mar 30
HKG - KIX Apr 3
HND - YYZ Apr 15

So I have about 11 days in Japan, thinking of doing 4-5 days based in Osaka and 5-6 days based in Tokyo (base meaning hotel base and just day travel to areas) 1 day to Mishima/Izu area, Nagoya Toyota Museum. I don't know how this is going to work out at the moment...still trying to figure it out.
Not something I would normally recommend, but if you like driving go for it. Tokyo is probably the least (traffic) congested major city in the world and if you drive late at night or early morning, the roads are practically empty. Google navigation works fine and is easy to use. The first time I drove in Tokyo was during rush hour with a paper map and a left handed stick. It seemed a lot easier than the first time I drove in London or NYC. (Don't forget to bring an International License.)
Old Jan 28, 2018, 8:40 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by The _Banking_Scot
Hi,

I saw them around Roppongi and a couple of other areas when I was in tokyo in early January.

Regards

tbs
I saw Mario Kart in Osaka in November as well. Looks like they've branched out.

https://maricar.osaka/en/osaka.html
Old Jan 30, 2018, 4:21 pm
Original Poster

Thanks all. About Yokohama car meets, I'm not sure going there solo is a good idea? Seems like you need a car to get there and night time probably doesn't work for me. Thanks for the tip though, Jalopnik wrote a piece about it some time ago.

Actually I have another concern. Travelling to small cities like Takayama or Hakone with the possibility of staying overnight, how would one bring a large piece of luggage there? Am I suppose to ship it to the service counter there? See link > Hida Takayama Carry Service | Traveling to Japan | YAMATO TRANSPORT GLOBAL

However I don't see a Black Cat service counter at Hakone, am I SOL and have to lug that thing there?
Old Jan 31, 2018, 1:01 am

Programs: UA
Zerotai, if you're traveling from City A to Takayama to City B, ship your large piece of luggage from City A to City B and live out of your backpack for a night.
ksandness and LapLap like this.
Old Feb 5, 2018, 8:24 am

Programs: UA, NW
Originally Posted by abacaxi
Zerotai, if you're traveling from City A to Takayama to City B, ship your large piece of luggage from City A to City B and live out of your backpack for a night.
Yes, that's what I do when I'm headed off into the countryside for a couple of days. I am a huge fan of Japan's luggage shipping companies. Put necessary articles plus a couple of changes of socks, shirts, and underwear in the carry-on, entrust your large suitcase to a delivery service, and you're free to go off the beaten track.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.