Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Japan
Reload this Page >

Best apps for Japan - Tokyo/Kyoto/Okinawa

Old Dec 23, 2017, 12:58 am
Original Poster

Hi all

Will be going to Tokyo/Kyoto/Okinawa and wanted to know what the best apps you recommend for English speakers? I just tried to download offline maps on Google Maps and for some reason offline maps in Japan is unavailable (at least on the iOS version). Seems odd as offline maps works in other countries I visit.

Any apps for offline navigation? Any other apps you recommend?
Old Dec 23, 2017, 4:16 am
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
I would recommend renting a pocket wifi and using Google Maps in online mode. The cost isn't that prohibitive.
Old Dec 23, 2017, 4:39 am

Programs: LH M+M
http://maps.me has an offline version of at least Tokyo Prefecture -- worked fine for me.
also, if you feel like it, https://www.tokyometro.jp/en/tips/co...one/index.html

not an app, but useful as well to check severe weather/quakes Japan Meteorological Agency
Old Dec 23, 2017, 5:58 am

Programs: Aadvantage
Waygo for translation. Klook for points of interest and deals. Maps.me is the way to go for navigation, as has been said.
Old Dec 25, 2017, 9:19 pm

Originally Posted by FlyinHawaiian
I would recommend renting a pocket wifi and using Google Maps in online mode. The cost isn't that prohibitive.
+1 on this! We used Japan Wireless on our past 2 trips and the speed is really good and it's so convenient!
Old Dec 25, 2017, 10:15 pm

I don't know if they have an app, but hyperdia.com is good for determining train/subway routes.
Old Dec 25, 2017, 11:35 pm

Programs: BA BD SA
Originally Posted by kalderlake
I don't know if they have an app, but hyperdia.com is good for determining train/subway routes.
Agree, Hyperdia is an invaluable resource. They do indeed have an app.
ltfly likes this.
Old Dec 26, 2017, 7:30 am

Programs: DL FO 1MM
not apps (that I know of) but relevant to this discussion, I think:

https://tabelog.com/en

https://supleks.jp/
Old Dec 26, 2017, 12:42 pm

There are a few apps which will grant wifi access
https://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2279.html

I've used Japan Connected-free Wi-Fi, Free Wi-Fi Passport (Softbank), and Travel Japan Wi-Fi . Softbank was the least reliable to connect to but doesn't require a special app (which basically gps and data mines your phone). The apps usually allow you to login to combini wifi and Starbucks without having to pre-register.

Mobile data (+ wifi) makes navigating a lot easier. I use Google Maps and Citymapper apps with data.

I also prefer mobile suica if you have a new iPhone/iWatch as a repeat visitor to Japan who prefers a digital wallet (plus carrying around less coins). A regular physical suica/IC card also works very similarly for the average tourist but needs to be reloaded with cash. The mobile version (currently) accepts funding with US credit cards. It is just a little quicker to pay with IC card at the combini than credit card/cash and many urban vending machines near the train station also accept IC card.
Old Dec 27, 2017, 7:18 am

As others have already said...
Google Maps seemed to be the best for navigation.
MAPS.ME was alright as a Google Maps backup, but didn't quite have the best mapping for the train stations and bus stops.
Hyperdia was amazing for train planning.
Old Jan 2, 2018, 10:24 pm

Originally Posted by SQ319
+1 on this! We used Japan Wireless on our past 2 trips and the speed is really good and it's so convenient!
So far, they seem the cheapest by far. Anyone else find a cheap place, or does it just vary per time of year?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.