Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Japan
Reload this Page >

Where to stay on points in Kyoto and Tokyo?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Where to stay on points in Kyoto and Tokyo?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 6, 2017, 3:03 pm
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
My basic recommendation to the OP is to stay at the Conrad in Tokyo and use the Hyatt free nights in Kyoto.
Old Dec 6, 2017, 6:54 pm

Originally Posted by RichardInSF
In general, if you have never stayed at an upscale or luxury hotel in eastern Asia, you will be very pleased by your experience regardless of where you choose. The standards overall are just so very much higher than in most other places.
This is just my opinion and I pretty much only know HKG and Jpn in Asia. Also, in Tokyo I've only ever stayed overnight in two truly 5-star hotels (Four Seasons, Conrad). I think standards are definitely much higher in HK than US/Canada. I don't know about Jpn, though. In HKG, Hyatt Regency, Intercontinental, Sheraton are all way above US norm. In Tokyo, all IC's, Hyatt Regency, Hiltons, and Sheraton Miyako are all average (or less) for respective brand. I will say that hotels in Jpn will treat elites much better (eg, more upgrade, 4pm checkout, better lounge) than in US, much like HK. I do think Conrads are fairly equivalent between HK and Tokyo.
Old Dec 7, 2017, 4:57 pm

Originally Posted by FlyinHawaiian
My basic recommendation to the OP is to stay at the Conrad in Tokyo and use the Hyatt free nights in Kyoto.
I would respectfully disagree. Much better valuation on those certificates if used in Tokyo at Andaz or Park Hyatt, which are also better hotels than Conrad.

I would suggest using the Hyatt certs in tokyo, and SPG/R-C pooints, which are interchangeable, for either R-C Kyoto or Suiran. Westin Miyako of Hyatt Regency on points would also be acceptable chooces is the former two weren’t available. HR Kyoto is a good hotel, but nothing to write home about, and additionally it is typically less expensive both for paid stays or in terms of points, which is the reason I wouldn’t choose to burn the certs there.
Old Dec 7, 2017, 5:08 pm
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
Originally Posted by MikeFromTokyo
I would respectfully disagree. Much better valuation on those certificates if used in Tokyo at Andaz or Park Hyatt, which are also better hotels than Conrad.
Agreed with the value proposition but please remember that this will be this member's first trip to Tokyo. I don't think they want to spend much of their tourist time exploring the area between the PH and Shinjuku and Shiodome has closer proximity to Ginza, Tsukiji, and Metro/Rail than Toranomon Hills.

I've posted elsewhere why I think the Conrad is better than the Andaz when you factor in the member is HH Diamond and WOH Explorist and based on my experience in staying in all three properties over the past two weeks.
Old Dec 7, 2017, 6:41 pm

Originally Posted by FlyinHawaiian
I've posted elsewhere why I think the Conrad is better than the Andaz when you factor in the member is HH Diamond and WOH Explorist and based on my experience in staying in all three properties over the past two weeks.
Saw your other post where you do a comparison, which is quite helpful. I don't know Andaz, but Conrad is wonderful and hard to beat if you're Diamond.

I'm not that familiar with the Hyatt program, except to say that it reinforces that Hilton is more generous. All the perks I get at Conrad as a Diamond make me feel like a king. Even when I was Hhonors Silver, at least in Jpn I'd not only get upgrade but also sometimes free rollaway and checkout as late as 4pm. I've even gotten upgrade to Exec floor occasionally as a Silver. With Hyatt, Platinum was a completely worthless status during the years I had it. I don't remember getting any special treatment as a Plat at Hyatt Regency Shinjuku. I think I got gym access, free Internet, that's about it.
Old Dec 8, 2017, 6:38 am

Conrad Tokyo is a perfectly acceptable choice. The OP should extend the stay if possible and do both.
Old Dec 13, 2017, 10:09 am

Programs: UA MM, SQ KrisFlyer, SPG/Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by The _Banking_Scot
Hi,

Apologies , I have been busy today but will provide a list of some of the major sights that may be of interest tomorrow

AS SQ319 said a guidebook will be useful but I found this site

https://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2164.html

I assume you will be flying into Tokyo first?. Getting from the airport (s) ) either Haneda ( closer to the city) or Narita ( about 60 miles from Tokyo) will take up several hours to get to your hotel depending where you are landing and in some cases Narita might be more convenient ( ie you can take a Narita express train to Shinjuku without changing whereas from Haneda you will probably have to change and some of the stations have long passage ways and steps.

TBS
Alternatively OP can take the Limousine Bus from NRT/HND that will drop off at these hotels directly. A lot less work and faster (less time used getting lost).
Old Dec 13, 2017, 12:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Originally Posted by abraxis
Alternatively OP can take the Limousine Bus from NRT/HND that will drop off at these hotels directly. A lot less work and faster (less time used getting lost).
Hi,

Good point!

Regards

TBS
Old Dec 16, 2017, 2:11 pm

Avoid Hyatt Regency in Kyoto; while their exec suites overlooking the zen garden are beautiful, the hotel itself is in a really lousy location with no 'walkability' and common areas make it feel like you're staying at an airport hotel. Look to SPG/Ritz properties in both cities instead.
Old Dec 16, 2017, 2:34 pm

Programs: Former UA Premex, now dirt
Originally Posted by OliverB
Avoid Hyatt Regency in Kyoto; while their exec suites overlooking the zen garden are beautiful, the hotel itself is in a really lousy location with no 'walkability' and common areas make it feel like you're staying at an airport hotel. Look to SPG/Ritz properties in both cities instead.
Are we talking about the same Kyoto. HR is right next door to Sanjusangendo and across the street from the national museum. Across the other street is Chisakuin temple and it is a not-long walk to Kiyomizu-dera. There is also a major, multi-line bus stop right outside which serves virtually all tourist sites.
SQ319 and MikeFromTokyo like this.
Old Dec 17, 2017, 8:57 am

Originally Posted by abmj-jr
Are we talking about the same Kyoto. HR is right next door to Sanjusangendo and across the street from the national museum. Across the other street is Chisakuin temple and it is a not-long walk to Kiyomizu-dera. There is also a major, multi-line bus stop right outside which serves virtually all tourist sites.
Yes we are, and if anyone has stayed in a proper working neighborhood in Kyoto (not on a busy tourist trafficked street with limited options catering almost exclusively to foreign travelers) they would understand. Walkability, as I intended it, means the ability to stroll down to a local cafe or market or neighborhood shop; to interact with locals who actually live in Kyoto year-round. If you're just interested in checking a bunch of museums and temples off your Kyoto itinerary without actually experiencing what daily reality is for people who live and work in the city, then sure, Hyatt Regency is convenient to a couple of big ticket attractions. I'd personally rather stay somewhere (not overrun by taxis and tourists) that offers a more genuine and honest reflection of city living. Museums and temples are great for interpreting particular aspects of human history and past civilizations; I'm sure that most anyone visiting Kyoto will find themselves at one or the other during their stay. I don't really understand why anyone would want to park themselves directly across the street from that, when they could instead be interacting with and experiencing the actual existing social structures and present relations of the city they're visiting. For this purpose, the Hyatt Regency is very poorly situated. I feel I can offer a fairly objective perspective on this having stayed at both myself; I personally found our time spent at the Hyatt (as nice, comfortable, and enjoyable as the accommodations/service were) to be far less rewarding then our stays in actual functioning neighborhoods in Kyoto, which despite a more tranquil pace, felt much more vital to us. If you'd like a decent bite or drink off-property at a local establishment, a neighborhood you can stroll through with some local flavor- interesting/unique storefronts, etc. then public transit is pretty much a requirement at the Hyatt. That's not something I personally enjoy.

Last edited by OliverB; Dec 17, 2017 at 9:23 am
Old Dec 17, 2017, 2:58 pm

Programs: Former UA Premex, now dirt
Originally Posted by OliverB
... a neighborhood you can stroll through with some local flavor- interesting/unique storefronts, etc. then public transit is pretty much a requirement at the Hyatt. That's not something I personally enjoy.
Fair enough. Different priorities for different travelers. Some want a comfortable, high-end stay for a couple of days and plan on seeing the major tourist sites. Others may want to "live" in a nice neighborhood for a week, visiting local cafes and watering holes. Both are valid. In my dozen or more visits to Kyoto, I have stayed in almost every part of the city, enjoying them all.

I still don't think either personal preference is a reason to recommend "avoiding" an excellent property because it doesn't fit my particular biases.
Old Jan 5, 2018, 7:55 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat Amb
Originally Posted by abmj-jr
I will let others make recommendations for Tokyo but the Kyoto Hyatt Regency is fairly recently renovated and a very nice stay. It is in a good location, across the street from the National Museum and a major temple and virtually next door to another major tourist attraction, Sanjusangen-do temple. If I had free night certs, I would jump at the chance to stay there.
Unfortunately, no points or free nights available for the Kyoto Hyatt during our days in May. I can use SPG points at the Suiran, a Luxury Collection Hotel. It looks beautiful by a serene river, but the hotel info page said that a complimentary taxi from the Kyoto train station would take 30 minutes. The station is only 5 miles away. Since one out of our three days in Kyoto, we were planning on taking a train trip to Nara, the hotel's location may be inconvenient. The hotel is located in Arashiyama area. Is anyone familiar with it?
Old Jan 7, 2018, 8:03 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat Amb
Originally Posted by MikeFromTokyo

I would suggest using the Hyatt certs in tokyo, and SPG/R-C pooints, which are interchangeable, for either R-C Kyoto or Suiran. Westin Miyako of Hyatt Regency on points would also be acceptable chooces is the former two weren’t available. HR Kyoto is a good hotel, but nothing to write home about, and additionally it is typically less expensive both for paid stays or in terms of points, which is the reason I wouldn’t choose to burn the certs there.
I put off deciding which hotels to book as life and the holidays got in the way. Interestingly, The Hyatt Kyoto was sold out on points. The reservationist thought it would open up closer in and put me on the wait list. However, I looked at the Suiran and was blown away by its beauty and tranquil setting. I was able to book a room with an outdoor tub in a private, small garden for only 7,000 points more than a standard room for three nights. How does the R-C Kyoto compare with it? It may have a more central location too.

I booked the Park Hyatt Tokyo which looks beautiful. After reading the FlyinHawaiian's write up on the three hotels in Tokyo that he recently visited, I was intrigued by the Conrad's Club Lounge and also its proximity to some major sites. Since you are from Tokyo, I'd love to get your insights on the differences between the PH & the Conrad.
Old Jan 10, 2018, 11:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Hi,

I just got back from 2 stays at the Conrad Tokyo

1st stay Wed 3rd Jan to Friday 5th Jan. Arrived at noon but the room was not ready but was able to use the lounge ( had coffee, cola and some chocolates). The lounge is ecellent with 2 rooms ( one facing the gardens and Odaiba and one facing the shiodome skyscrappers)
Afternoon tea was very good with sandwiches, scones with jam and cream, chocolates etc. ( from 3pm to 5pm) and choices of ice cream

From 6 to 8pm the lounge offered sparkling wine , wine,beer and spirits , soft drinks, juices and coffee/tea a selection of hot and cold snacks (usually including seafood quiche)

Breakfast was very good with japaese and western dishes and a chef could make a made to order omellette.

I got a 1pm late check out as the hotel was busy and checked out in the lounge

2nd stay -7th to 9th Jan

Arrived at 3pm to be told there was a queue to check in ( took around 20 mins) as it was a national holiday on the morning)
In the evening ( around 615pm) I went to the lounge only to be told there was a waiting time of 1 hour to get into the lounge) I did not bother

The following day the lounge was a lot quieter. I mentioned to the lounge receptionist that I was leaving early the next day to Narita before the lounge opened and they offered a continental breakfast to be delivered to my room (@ 530am). This had juice, iced water, coffee, cereal , a fruit plate and 2 slices of bread with a toaster

Overall the lounge was excellent but could be overwhelmed at peak times.

Regards

TBS

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.