Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Japan
Reload this Page >

Suggestions for Spring 2018 trip to Japan for Repeat Visitors?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Suggestions for Spring 2018 trip to Japan for Repeat Visitors?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 9, 2018, 10:28 pm
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by runningonfumes
I misunderstood. Sorry.

I thought you wanted to visit Tokyo but then posted many day trips.

I do stand by 3.45 minutes back and forth to Aizu is insanity for a day trip but I see so many stupid day trips from so many places in Japan I bite my tongue. There is some fantastic onsen hotels there. The issue as many know in Tohoku is you can't just sit on the shinkansen line. That's the issue with Aizu.

Personally, an open one way redemption of avios will get your far and 7 day rail pass back can make the flight into tokyo moot.

But perhaps my post count makes me unknowledgable.

Let all the kind pleasant experienced posters come to your rescue and support an almost 8 hour round trip day trip.
8 hour round trip? Even okinawa doesnt take that long.
Old Aug 10, 2018, 1:17 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by runningonfumes
I misunderstood. Sorry.

I thought you wanted to visit Tokyo but then posted many day trips.

I do stand by 3.45 minutes back and forth to Aizu is insanity for a day trip but I see so many stupid day trips from so many places in Japan I bite my tongue. There is some fantastic onsen hotels there. The issue as many know in Tohoku is you can't just sit on the shinkansen line. That's the issue with Aizu.

Personally, an open one way redemption of avios will get your far and 7 day rail pass back can make the flight into tokyo moot.

But perhaps my post count makes me unknowledgable.

Let all the kind pleasant experienced posters come to your rescue and support an almost 8 hour round trip day trip.
I appreciate the additional information on why a day trip Aizu would be difficult so I don't have to research it myself. Thank you for generously sharing your knowledge! :-:
Old Aug 10, 2018, 7:20 am
Suspended

Programs: dont care anymore
Originally Posted by Jay71
I appreciate the additional information on why a day trip Aizu would be difficult so I don't have to research it myself. Thank you for generously sharing your knowledge! :-:
and given you live in Canada, there are very easy ways to get lots of BA avios well before your trip that you can redeem for domestic flights in Japan on JAL at basically no cost. example, HND to Hakodate for three, 13500 avios and 8.02 in taxes. some think the BA sign ups suck at 30000 or even at 50000, but that goes a very long way in Japan.
Old Aug 10, 2018, 8:33 am

Programs: UA, NW
Originally Posted by ksandness
Wow, I've been visiting Tokyo for literally forty years, and I never knew about Akabane. That will definitely be on the list for this summer's visit.

In fact, I should watch some of the other episodes, too.
I just want to update this. On my trip in June, I stayed in Ikebukuro, and when I had a spare afternoon, I took the train two stops to Jujo and had a great time poking around in the stores and reveling in the Showa-like atmosphere of the main shopping arcade.

It's always great to learn about new things to do in Tokyo.
Old Aug 10, 2018, 10:32 am
Suspended

Programs: dont care anymore
Originally Posted by kaka

8 hour round trip? Even okinawa doesnt take that long.
in all fairness before some self appointed japan expert knowit alls flex their Internets flex their keyboard skills, one could get there in about 3 hours from Tokyo station and about the same 3 hours back making sure to get the right connections or spend time in koriyama, which don't get me wrong is not horrible, but might be scoffed at by the UNESCO punch list groups as would many places I might visit in Japan.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.