Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated Haneda (HND) to/from Narita (NRT) transfers thread

Search this Thread

Old Nov 7, 2017, 7:30 pm
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
what day of the week are you doing this?

and what class?
i usually get out of NRT within 45 mins of landing, usually 30, bar a FRA flight some 4 years ago; then bus to HND takes 60-75 mins (last traffic jam i hit was AGES ago)

and you only need to get to HND 20 mins before flight; leaving you 30-60 minutes buffer.
I would not sweat it, they would protect you on the next flight since they sold you the ticekt. Unless its a snow storm in CTS and they have massive operational problems - in that case I'd rather be in tokyo to let them sort things out... your original flight may be delayed too anyways.
Old Nov 7, 2017, 7:33 pm

Programs: QFF
Thanks for the info, unfortunately this leg is part of a multi city ticket that was bought through Qantas, I'll see if they will let me change the 2nd leg to depart from Narita.

If not I guess I'll have to hope for luck on the day.
Old Nov 7, 2017, 8:04 pm

If I'm not mistaken, Limo bus from NRT>HND takes ~15min longer for JAL connection, versus ANA. Limo Bus is usually 60min or little longer for NRT-T1 to HND-T2. So figure 80min for OP on Limo Bus. Gate to arrivals concourse at NRT is ~30min (based on T1 experience). Assume another 25min for deplaning + waiting for the next bus. Based on that, you're getting to HND 40min before your second flight. That's without any delays. I think that's very little room for error.

As has been noted, you'll be protected if you miss the flight only in the sense that JL will get you there eventually. But you never want to miss your scheduled flight. Try to change if you can.
Old Nov 7, 2017, 9:41 pm
Moderator, All Nippon Airways and Japan

Programs: NH SFC (*G), JL JGP (OWE), AS MVP, WOH E, IHG SE
One thing to note if that there is a severe traffic jam on the Shutoko or the Higashi-Kanto expressways headed to Tokyo, the bus to HND will often detour through Chiba and take the Aqua Line across Tokyo Bay.

I think your bigger concern would be potential delays in arrival at NRT due to weather, large volume of passengers at immigration, baggage return delays, etc.
Old Nov 9, 2017, 3:32 am

Originally Posted by evergrn
If I'm not mistaken, Limo bus from NRT>HND takes ~15min longer for JAL connection, versus ANA. Limo Bus is usually 60min or little longer for NRT-T1 to HND-T2. So figure 80min for OP on Limo Bus. Gate to arrivals concourse at NRT is ~30min (based on T1 experience). Assume another 25min for deplaning + waiting for the next bus. Based on that, you're getting to HND 40min before your second flight. That's without any delays. I think that's very little room for error.

As has been noted, you'll be protected if you miss the flight only in the sense that JL will get you there eventually. But you never want to miss your scheduled flight. Try to change if you can.
Can't speak for the JAL connection but last May on a Friday, my UA flight landed at ~16:15 and with no checked bags, I made it through Immigration and Customs, boarded a bus bound for Haneda T-2 which arrived just slightly over 2 hours later. I got my boarding pass and made it through security in 30 minutes.

I got lucky though as the limo bus was boarding as I walked up so adding 10-15 minutes might be more representative of the total time as 2 hours and 45 minutes is closer to my average. However, I plan 4 hours for the journey. I would do 3 IF there were a significant cost savings or the only choice.

If the OP will provide further details about cabin, bags, boarding passes, etc. he/she can then decide if there's enough time as those things are some of the important data points in anyone's plus/delta evaluation.
Old Nov 9, 2017, 6:15 pm

Originally Posted by Oreto
If the OP will provide further details about cabin, bags, boarding passes, etc. he/she can then decide if there's enough time as those things are some of the important data points in anyone's plus/delta evaluation.
Date of arrival is 05/02/18.

The landing flight is JL736, currently have seat 48C. I'll be travelling in economy with 1 checked bag. I'm Qantas Gold FF which is oneworld sapphire which hopefully will give me priory baggage.

Departing flight is JL527.
Old Nov 10, 2017, 12:27 am

Can't speak for the JAL connection but last May on a Friday, my UA flight landed at ~16:15 and with no checked bags, I made it through Immigration and Customs, boarded a bus bound for Haneda T-2 which arrived just slightly over 2 hours later. I got my boarding pass and made it through security in 30 minutes.
That seems about right. Again, someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the NRT>HND-domestic Limo bus takes longer for JAL than NH.

Originally Posted by jvtostinha

The landing flight is JL736, currently have seat 48C. I'll be travelling in economy with 1 checked bag. I'm Qantas Gold FF which is oneworld sapphire which hopefully will give me priory baggage.

I'm somewhat pulling this out of my butt and I'm just basing this on my experiences with Star/NH, but I don't think I'm far off to say it's ~50/50 that you'll get to HND 30+ minutes before JL527's departure time. I don't know about JL, but I've experienced a lot of minor delays (20-40min) arriving into NRT on AC and NH the last few years. I don't know what's going on. Last couple of times flight was on time but then we were put in hold pattern and arrived late.

If you miss your connecting flight, there's a couple more flights that evening to CTS as has been mentioned upthread. So if it's going to cost you to change the flight, then just keep what you've got and hope for the best.
Old Nov 12, 2017, 6:11 am

Originally Posted by jvtostinha

That one is tough. I can't fault you for gambling because there is probably at least a 50/50 chance that you'll make it. There will be over 100 ahead of you when you disembark plus the queue already at Immigration. It is possible that a fully loaded 747 full of non-Japanese nationals with documents in disarray could be there waiting on you or it could be a ghost town. On average, you should be OK comparatively speaking.

The checked bag is going to add time. There's no getting around that. However, your position on the plane might make that less of an issue. If your bag is tagged priority, I'd hoof it like mad passing as many as possible. Japan is pretty good about honoring priority tagging unlike some airports here where I live.

I went to flightaware and looked at the last 2 weeks and the flight to Narita arrived late more often than not (assuming the same scheduled departure time). That is concerning. Most flights were no more than 15 minutes late which can be absorbed but the ones that push an hour are backbreakers. I'd definitely monitor that over a longer term before you decide one way or the other if it were me.

Originally Posted by evergrn
That seems about right. Again, someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the NRT>HND-domestic Limo bus takes longer for JAL than NH.
I checked the limo bus site and Terminal 1 looks to be the first stop at Haneda.
Old Nov 12, 2017, 10:27 am

I checked the limo bus site and Terminal 1 looks to be the first stop at Haneda.
In that case, either things have changed recently, or maybe there's a separate bus service going straight to HND's T1.

When I took that bus, T2 was the first stop. (can't say for sure that it was going to T1 after that, but I presume so) In fact, I think just about all the Limo buses I've taken to HND from most anywhere went to T2 first, although there have been times when it went to Int'l first.
Old Nov 13, 2017, 7:32 am

I've done the bus transfer between NRT and HND 4 times before. Never taken me more then 2 hours from gate to lounge in either direction.
Old Nov 14, 2017, 10:41 am

Programs: UAL 1k
The limo bus picks up at T2 in NRT first, then T1 South wing and then T1 North wing. When it arrives at HND it stops first at T2, then T1, then International terminal.

I believe that is the only option there is, no separate bus direct to T1 HND.
Old Jan 2, 2018, 7:52 am

Baggage txfr when connecting HND->NRT

I was able to get an F award ticket from JFK-ICN with an overnight connection in Tokyo. However, I fly on ANA JFK-HND which arrives 9pm and depart from NRT-ICN on Asiana the next day 1:30pm. This gives me time to enjoy Tokyo for a late dinner and an early sushi breakfast at Tsukiji. My question is can they transfer my checked bags from HND to NRT or do I have to pickup the bags from HND, take them into the city with me overnight, and re-check next day at NRT?
Old Jan 2, 2018, 8:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by hooni212
I was able to get an F award ticket from JFK-ICN with an overnight connection in Tokyo. However, I fly on ANA JFK-HND which arrives 9pm and depart from NRT-ICN on Asiana the next day 1:30pm. This gives me time to enjoy Tokyo for a late dinner and an early sushi breakfast at Tsukiji. My question is can they transfer my checked bags from HND to NRT or do I have to pickup the bags from HND, take them into the city with me overnight, and re-check next day at NRT?
Pick up in one airport and recheck in the other. Always the situation when transferring between the two Tokyo airports. There are luggage forwarding services, but I am not sure if they can do it that quick.
SPN Lifer and hooni212 like this.
Old Jan 2, 2018, 3:20 pm

Thank you!
Old Jan 2, 2018, 10:07 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, HH G,Hyatt E,*A Gold, OW Emerald.
>do I have to pickup the bags from HND, take them into the city with me overnight, and re-check next day at NRT?
YES!
Just note that the 9pm arrival will mean most buses to hotels might have left.
So, pick your hotel carefully, or you will have to slog them in the trains/grab an expensive cab.
https://www.limousinebus.co.jp/en/bu...s/haneda/index

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.