Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Rain, rain and the more rain

Search this Thread

Old Oct 20, 2017, 8:30 pm
Original Poster

Rain, rain and the more rain

I had hoped for better weather when I booked this trip, but oh my, it's rained almost continuously since I arrived 10 days ago.

Made the most of it and did 85% of what I wanted to do, but after a time it wears you down.

It *is* supposed to be pleasant this time of year, no?
Old Oct 20, 2017, 8:32 pm

Programs: Delta
Japanese housewives are in a high state of panic because they haven't been able to hang their washed clothes out to dry.
Old Oct 21, 2017, 4:22 am

Programs: LH M+M
Originally Posted by smithrh
It's still typhoon season - and there's one crawling up right now. Expected landfall on monday, so if you plan to travel then, watch out.

https://www.wunderground.com/hurrica...17/typhoon-lan
Old Oct 21, 2017, 8:39 am

First time in Japan, at the end of our honeymoon trip. Arrived on Tuesday and we've had 1.5 days of no rain. Leaving on Wednesday with a flight back to Tokyo on Monday. Give us a break Lan!
Old Oct 22, 2017, 4:20 am

Programs: LH M+M
Originally Posted by SQ007
Leaving on Wednesday with a flight back to Tokyo on Monday. Give us a break Lan!
If it's not a flight very early, it could work. LAN is moving very fast north-east, and by forecast dissipating fast, too. Yet, Tokyo will be a full hit as it looks:
http://www.jma.go.jp/en/typh/172124.html
Old Oct 22, 2017, 4:49 am

Originally Posted by PAX_fips
If it's not a flight very early, it could work. LAN is moving very fast north-east, and by forecast dissipating fast, too. Yet, Tokyo will be a full hit as it looks:
http://www.jma.go.jp/en/typh/172124.html
Luckily we have a 4pm flight out of Osaka ITM. Weather forecasts look good so far...
Old Oct 22, 2017, 10:22 am
Original Poster

Well, for the record none of the rain I experienced was typhoon-related, so there's that.

Lan does look pretty bad though.
Old Oct 23, 2017, 8:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
I was in Shingu, in Wakayama, where 800mm of rain fell in a 48 hour period. So yes, it was pretty bad. The whole Kansai transportation infrastructure remains a mess 24 hours after. Even the Shinkansen had people stuck in tunnels for 8 hours.
Old Oct 23, 2017, 9:27 am

Programs: AA PtPro (2 MM); Hilton Diamond; Hertz President Cr; DL SkyMiles; UA MileagePlus
I had hoped for better weather when I booked this trip, but oh my, it's rained almost continuously since I arrived 10 days ago.

Made the most of it and did 85% of what I wanted to do, but after a time it wears you down.

Well, for the record none of the rain I experienced was typhoon-related, so there's that.

Lan does look pretty bad though.
It is mother nature, some time it rains and some time it is sunny. Cannot predict weather far in advance. It is typhoon season in Japan right now, there is nothing wrong with typhoon hitting Japan and some year there will be no typhoon hitting Japan at all. Rain does not have to be typhoon related, it is all mother nature, part of the life you cannot control nor predict far in advance. If you did not know that about weather, where have you been in your life? Foliage season is very nice time of the year in Japan, but nobody can guarantee the weather.

Or is this just simply using FlyerTalk to vent? Or do you really believe that because it rained during your visit to Japan that now Japan ranks in low end of your destination spot?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.