Wiki Posts
Search

Advice on Tokyo hotel

Search this Thread

Old Sep 22, 2017, 1:12 pm
Original Poster

Advice on Tokyo hotel

Hi there

I'm off to Tokyo on November 10th for 5 nights after booking a very cheap business class ticket on Qatar (£540), and despite having spent quite a bit of time on trip advisor, I am still struggling to decide on a hotel. My budget is circa £120 per night, and I'm flexible re location although would prefer to be close to the busier areas (or close to the subway). I like modern/contemporary hotels - one that ranked high was the Century South Tower; any feedback/advice would be gratefully received.

Thanks

Tim
Old Sep 22, 2017, 2:04 pm

Programs: Etihad Guest, Aegean & some other almost useless M&M programs; BA One World; spg; HHonors; Accor...
Hi Tim. I love Tokyo but anytime I've visited I've been lucky enough to stay with friends. It's true things are expensive there though so you may have trouble on that budget. You could try Agoda as well and cross reference. Anyway, good luck and have a great time. Shiv
Old Sep 22, 2017, 2:06 pm

All depends on the rates/availability on your specific dates, but Century Southern Tower is definitely a good one.
Old Sep 22, 2017, 6:41 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Priceline works for Tokyo too. You will also be able to find a decent hotel in the Prince chain for this price as well. If you are close to any station, you should do just fine getting around.

Regarding the comment by Shiv01 above, I'd say that many things, maybe even most things, are cheaper in Tokyo than in London. As but one example, the subway (metro) is cheaper than the tube.
Old Sep 22, 2017, 7:25 pm

Programs: DL FO 1MM
I'm not totally sure whether you'd find them acceptable, but consider looking for "business" hotels - there should be plenty available that meet your location criteria for your budget. They will be small rooms, not luxurious, but clean, efficient, and private. I'm not sure how many of them book through the OTAs.
Old Sep 22, 2017, 8:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
I've found Japanican.com to be the best English-language booking engine available for Japan. Lots of options at all price points. Yes, it's legit, it's run by JTB.
Old Sep 22, 2017, 10:32 pm

120 pounds is 18k yen according to google. Tons of decent hotels available at <90,000yen total for 5 nights starting Nov 11 for 2 adults. Don't have to settle for business hotel. Surprised to see that even Nikko Odaiba (formerly Grand Le Daiba) was available for <100,000yen total for 5 nights/2 adults although only 1 room available there at that price.

As far as Prince hotels are concerned, I'd definitely stay away from the ones at Shinagawa (although ones at Takanawa complex are okay), Shinjuku and Ikebukuro.
Old Sep 24, 2017, 3:38 am
Original Poster

Many thanks for all the replies; at the moment I've narrowed it down to the Century or the Nikko Odaiba, although I'm half tempted to blow the budget on the Hilton for an extra £180...
Old Sep 24, 2017, 7:01 am

Programs: Tokyo Monorail Diamond-Encrusted-Platinum
If the choice is Century Southern Tower vs. Daiba, I would choose Century Southern Tower for the location.
Old Sep 24, 2017, 7:55 am
duo

Originally Posted by tim0409
Hi there

I'm off to Tokyo on November 10th for 5 nights after booking a very cheap business class ticket on Qatar (£540), and despite having spent quite a bit of time on trip advisor, I am still struggling to decide on a hotel. My budget is circa £120 per night, and I'm flexible re location although would prefer to be close to the busier areas (or close to the subway). I like modern/contemporary hotels - one that ranked high was the Century South Tower; any feedback/advice would be gratefully received.

Thanks

Tim
That's an amazing deal ^ is that from Edinburgh? I've done that route before to Tokyo - it's a bit of a grind as it's a 7hr flight then 11hr flight + layover. But we props paid the same as you for Economy.

Last edited by duo; Sep 24, 2017 at 8:01 am
Old Sep 24, 2017, 9:33 am

Originally Posted by jib71
If the choice is Century Southern Tower vs. Daiba, I would choose Century Southern Tower for the location.
me too.
Old Sep 24, 2017, 10:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I THINK IT IS TIME For you to start working about getting a room at all. nov is very popular time in tokyo.

trip advisor is about as accurate as those football picking sites.
Old Sep 24, 2017, 5:55 pm

Programs: IHG Gold
I find Daiba not an interesting area to stay in and rather inconvenient for visiting most other parts of Tokyo
Old Sep 24, 2017, 7:14 pm

Many thanks for all the replies; at the moment I've narrowed it down to the Century or the Nikko Odaiba, although I'm half tempted to blow the budget on the Hilton for an extra £180...
You didn't mention which Hilton you are looking at, but there are 2 (or 3) which are in Tokyo.

Hilton Tokyo
Hilton Odaiba Tokyo
Hilton Tokyo Bay (not really in Tokyo, but the name is deceiving).

If you are going to blow your budget, make sure it's for Hilton Tokyo whcih is in Shinjuku and not the other two.

Between Century Southern and Nikko, Century southern wins hands down, it's prob a 100X more convenient to get around if you stay in Shinjuku as compared to staying in Daiba.
Old Sep 24, 2017, 8:30 pm

Also, Century Southern has a significantly better location within Shinjuku than Hilton Shinjuku. If you're not Hhonors Gold/Diamond, I might actually choose Century Southern over Hilton for the same price even though Hilton's basic room might be better than Century Southern's.
SQ319 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.