Community
Wiki Posts
Search

So At What Point... [about North Korea missile launches]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 16, 2017, 6:49 am

Programs: IHG Gold
Originally Posted by a330boston
Have commercial airliner routes in the area been adjusted accordingly in order to prevent another MH17?
Kind of hard to do. I mean these things fly up to 700 km high. Considering planes fly at most 12km high, the only chance of it doing anything would be at that specific point on the downward trajectory.

MH17 on the other hand was targeted specifically by a missile.
Old Sep 17, 2017, 3:06 pm

Leaving for Japan next Sunday. I'm more concerned about ordering correctly in Japanese restaurants than the missle tests. Anyone know how to request a Katsu-Don with the egg fully cooked?

Many good reasons given here by other posters not to worry about NK. Thanks for that.
Old Sep 19, 2017, 12:27 pm

Originally Posted by Aventine
I'd actually be more apprehensive about going to London or Europe than Japan. I've been in Tokyo for the last 2 launches and only the news was covering it. Normal people just went about their business. Swiss Cheese Boy just likes throwing his toys every so often. Best to ignore it and just enjoy your trips!
Same. Have an upcoming trip planned for Japan. Worried more about my flights/accommodations changing on me than NK. As for the environmental impact of the missles, well, there's no warhead in them. Any fuel would be pretty much expended. If anything, it'll just be a base for coral to hopefully grow. Trash from humans is a FAR bigger issue than a missile or two. There are supposed to be two super trash piles in the Pacific now.

Want to plan a trip to Europe, but all the terrorism is giving me pause.
Old Sep 19, 2017, 12:46 pm

Programs: Star Alliance
Agreed. We are headed to Hokkaido at the end of October and my biggest concern is how to buy/reserve bus tickets and dressing warm enough for the weather.

Other than that, I am more concerned about my cholesterol level than the how DPRK missiles will affect our trip.
Aventine likes this.
Old Sep 20, 2017, 10:38 pm
Moderator, All Nippon Airways and Japan

Programs: NH SFC (*G), JL JGP (OWE), AS MVP, WOH E, IHG SE
I've removed several posts that strayed significantly off topic. Let's keep this thread related to discussion of the DPRK missile launches and what impact they have on people's travel to Japan.

Regards,
armagebedar
Japan forum moderator
Old Sep 22, 2017, 6:21 am

Programs: Global Entry · WN, UA, AS, DL, NH; IHG, Wyndham, Hilton, Best Value Inn, Marriott, Starwood, Ramada
I anticipate cheap, cheap, cheap flights to Tokyo from airlines concerned about filling seats to a location which may be the target of a missile launch, and not wanting to suspend those flights. :-:
Old Sep 24, 2017, 8:31 am
duo

I've a holiday booked to Japan in a couple months and I currently have no plans to cancel/change it. But that is not to say we shouldn't be slightly worried - we're not far off from WW3 off.
Old Sep 24, 2017, 12:48 pm

Hmm...when this thread started on Sept 15th, I was not worried but the invective and threatening rhetoric since is getting worse.

I am thinking of switching the trip to Taipei instead of Tokyo..have a back up hotel already booked in Taipei and can switch the flight for not much money.

I have been to Japan many times but never Taipei (out of the airport that is) so that may have something to do with it—as they say, a change is as good as a rest.

Not sure any of it matters if things get to a critical stage, but at least Taiwan is more remote than Japan from any crazy things happening.

You guys still think all this is worry over nothing?
Old Sep 24, 2017, 1:34 pm

Programs: UA, NW
Originally Posted by mapleg
Hmm...when this thread started on Sept 15th, I was not worried but the invective and threatening rhetoric since is getting worse.

I am thinking of switching the trip to Taipei instead of Tokyo..have a back up hotel already booked in Taipei and can switch the flight for not much money.

I have been to Japan many times but never Taipei (out of the airport that is) so that may have something to do with it—as they say, a change is as good as a rest.

Not sure any of it matters if things get to a critical stage, but at least Taiwan is more remote than Japan from any crazy things happening.

I'm not particularly worried about Kim Jong-un. He and the rest of his dynasty have been making threats for decades. The wild card is the current occupant of the White House.
Old Sep 24, 2017, 1:37 pm

Originally Posted by ksandness
I'm not particularly worried about Kim Jong-un. He and the rest of his dynasty have been making threats for decades. The wild card is the current occupant of the White House.
Well, yeah..that's the rub.
Old Sep 24, 2017, 5:23 pm

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
Originally Posted by pudgym29
I anticipate cheap, cheap, cheap flights to Tokyo from airlines concerned about filling seats to a location which may be the target of a missile launch, and not wanting to suspend those flights. :-:
I serious doubt that. Currently nothing indicates that an ICBM is heading for Japan. Tourists will continue to flock to Japan. Should the DPRK attack Japan, then the economy of the whole region (and not just Japan) will go belly up. The world economy is going to take a massive hit as a nuclear strike would likely be the start of what will be called in future history books World war III. And if that happens we've got more important things to worry about than cheap air fares...
Old Sep 24, 2017, 9:01 pm

I don't think you're worrying over nothing. No matter which part of Pacific N.Korea launches missile towards, it has to fly over Jpn. No missile will be headed over Taiwan. But if N.Korea launches an H-bomb strapped missile and your plane's in the vicinity of the detonation, who knows what could happen whether you're bound for TYO or TPE.
Old Sep 24, 2017, 10:10 pm

I have a trip to Chugoku in November.

Am I worried? Just slightly especially since the war of words between KJU and POTUS is not stopping and it's reaching a stage where neither wants to back down. But I'm not going to let my worry derail my travels plans. Life goes on.

There's nowhere really safe right now in this world.
Old Sep 25, 2017, 1:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Well, if it's somewhere new and somewhere you want to go then why not change it? Taiwan is relatively safer because NK won't shoot that island. You'd have a good time in both spots.
Old Sep 25, 2017, 2:53 am

Programs: DL FO 1MM
I maintain my complete indifference. I feel safer visiting Tokyo right now than I would visiting London. The only place in the area that I'd be antsy to visit if this keeps escalating would be Seoul.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.