Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Trying to decide if I need to rent a pocket WiFi

Search this Thread

Old Aug 23, 2017, 10:18 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jphripjah
If your phone is unlocked you can just buy a SIM card at the airport, they have tourist-oriented SIM cards giving you data for 7-14 days for about $25-$40. I find having data essential for Japan so I can use the Google maps transit feature to pull up info on the trains.
They're unlocked, but I figure the pocket wifi might be better so all the adults can connect and help search.
Old Aug 24, 2017, 12:02 am
Moderator, All Nippon Airways and Japan

Programs: NH SFC (*G), JL JGP (OWE), AS MVP, WOH E, IHG SE
Originally Posted by codex57
Stop 2: In Kyoto, it's in between either the Nijo station or Nijojo-mae station. Any ideas which one is better if I'm coming from Osaka? And which station to take to get me to the bullet train to Tokyo?
JR Nijo Station only requires one transfer at Kyoto Station, which is perfect if you're arriving via either JR (or Kintetsu). If you're coming via Keihan, Nijojo-mae Station can be reached with a single transfer at Sanjo Station, but it will take longer and be more expensive.
codex57 likes this.
Old Aug 24, 2017, 1:04 am

Programs: Tokyo Monorail Diamond-Encrusted-Platinum
Stop 1: I'm told to take the Nankai Namba station in Osaka. The problem with this one is I probably won't get into that station until roughly 11pm. That and the address she listed in AirBnB doesn't translate into something Google Maps recognizes.
Namba is a large station. Your host will surely need to tell you an exit number and preferably a link to the google map location. At that time of night, you probably want to get there with the minimum of fuss, so jumping in a cab and handing over the map is probably a good idea.

Sometimes the way you enter the address into Google just needs a little tweaking. It's worth getting familiar with the underlying "logic" of Japanese addresses. Get used to the idea of an address being a description of concentric "boxes" that decrease in size as you read through the address. An address might typically include the following components:
1) Prefecture and / or City - e.g. Osaka Fu, Osaka Shi
2) Ward - e.g. "Naniwa ku" but possibly "Tennoji Ku"
3) District "Cho" and Division "Chome" - For example "Nanbanaka 2 Chome"
4) Subdivision - For example 1-1
5) Apartment number - For example 301 (Third Floor, apartment 1)

The last three items might be written with "chome" or just as a series of numbers, separated by hyphens:
Nanbanaka 2-1-1-301

But not every address contains all of those components. My old address in Tokyo had just three numbers after the "Cho":
____cho 1-14-303

This article might help:
http://www.sljfaq.org/afaq/addresses.html
codex57 and pudgym29 like this.
Old Aug 24, 2017, 12:53 pm

Programs: AMEX AC CX UA AA DL
They're unlocked, but I figure the pocket wifi might be better so all the adults can connect and help search.
It's more than 1 person travelling. More reason to use a taxi. 2 or 3 people per taxi and it's less than 5USD each.

Namba station taxi ranks lots of taxis day and night.
Old Aug 24, 2017, 2:51 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by beep88
It's more than 1 person travelling. More reason to use a taxi. 2 or 3 people per taxi and it's less than 5USD each.

Namba station taxi ranks lots of taxis day and night.
That's reassuring. It's 4 people. 2 are kids so we should fit fine in even a sedan as they're not in car seats. I don't want to be wandering Osaka in the middle of the night with a bunch of luggage and kids.

Thanks for the great explanation about addresses, jib71
Old Aug 24, 2017, 3:27 pm

2014 I flew from IAD to NRT via ICN. I am on TMO and had a Samsung phone from the USA and although in NRT and ICN I had limited LTE, the 3G is speedy fast....AND since I am on TMO, I had unlimited internet.

My...the times I wanted to call someone, but I hesitated and used data like crazy AND used LINE/VIBER to communicate to friends and family here in the DC area.

LMK if you have any other questions, OP!

QuesoDeCan
Old Aug 24, 2017, 11:38 pm

Originally Posted by QuesoDeCan
2014 I flew from IAD to NRT via ICN. I am on TMO and had a Samsung phone from the USA and although in NRT and ICN I had limited LTE, the 3G is speedy fast....AND since I am on TMO, I had unlimited internet.
Hmm... I get unlimited data through SoftBank's 3G in Jpn on our plan (US phone), but it is slow as hell even in Tokyo. I wonder why the connection is so bad for us. The phone is old, but it works fine in US.
Old Aug 25, 2017, 1:06 am

Programs: HHonors Gold, Marriott Lifetime Gold, IHG Gold, OZ*G, AA Gold, AS MVP
Originally Posted by evergrn
Hmm... I get unlimited data through SoftBank's 3G in Jpn on our plan (US phone), but it is slow as hell even in Tokyo. I wonder why the connection is so bad for us. The phone is old, but it works fine in US.
Roaming from another country or native SoftBank?
Old Aug 25, 2017, 10:38 am

Originally Posted by jamar
Roaming from another country or native SoftBank?
I only used data while in Japan for the 2 weeks. I believe it was Softbank whilst in Tokyo.
Old Aug 25, 2017, 2:33 pm

Programs: AMEX AC CX UA AA DL
Originally Posted by evergrn
Because you get what you pay for. The roaming plan is cheap (or free?), and the plan clearly states the max speed you get.

"When you travel abroad you will have unlimited data at up to 128kbps"
Old Nov 14, 2017, 2:51 am

I don't speak much Japanese and I have been there several times with my wife. First time was back in the Blackberry days, where no pocket wifi was offered. No google maps available, all our notes were sticky notes in our borrowed Lonely Planet book. Yes we struggled. Getting lost in winter... not quite fun.

Then came iPhone 4...and we went back again.. again in winter got ourselves a reliable pocket wifi. pick it up on arrival or delivered into your hotel, and the just simply drop it off in the airport or post box. The ability to know exactly where you are going, and to look up schedules. Make adhoc changes to your travel plans, gives you that sense of freedom you look for when travelling. I used a service called Pupuru, and it costs something like AUD$10-16 per day. Unlimited Bandwidth.

But I think now the TeleCos have caught up.. and in Australia, Vodafone allows us to use our bandwidth while overseas, for AUD$10 charge. But I only have 9GB in my plan.. I'll probably still get the Pocket wifi when we go. Unless our AirBnB provides it like yours.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.