Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Japan
Reload this Page >

What are your favorite arcades in Tokyo and why?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 28, 2017, 2:11 pm
Original Poster

What are your favorite arcades in Tokyo and why? I've heard Round One in Shinjuku is great--occupies something like 8 to 10 stories of space. I'd probably be most interested in VR experiences. Despite what's been said elsewhere, it seems like there's a thriving arcade scene in Tokyo. Perhaps not much difference between what one can get in the U.S. vs. Japan, but arcades seem rare these days in the U.S. Still, any big differentiators would be cool to know about.

I'd also be interested in pachinko parlors and vintage gaming spots that have many pinball machines. Possibly classic 80's video games; although I'm the happy owner of a Multicade with a 60-in-1 Jama board. Ms Pacman plays like a dream with the 4 position cherry red joystick (for making those tight turns).

I'll be staying first near Shinagawa Station, then later at the Hilton Tokyo Bay if that helps any.
Old Jul 28, 2017, 3:12 pm

Programs: AA PLTPRO, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Round One Stadium in Diver City in Odaiba is pretty cool.

BTW - we also have Round One in the US. Several locations in California and evidently one coming soon to Greensboro, NC (is that near RDU?).

In any event, I find the experience much more immersive and mind-boggling in Japanese arcades than here in the US>
Old Jul 28, 2017, 8:51 pm

Also in DiverCity is the newly opened
Virtual Link by Konica Minolta. There's also a big Joypolis branch about ten minutes away in Tokyo Decks.
Old Jul 29, 2017, 4:46 am

Wow, so many arcades in Odaiba.

There's also Tokyo Leisure Land right near the ferris wheel... the place is big and the games are cheap (100yen), but the place is dead and most are old-school games.
Old Jul 29, 2017, 12:03 pm
Original Poster

Club Sega?

What are the Club Sega arcades like?

Interesting about Round One arcades in the U.S. GSO is probably a 1.5 hr drive from RDU.
Old Jul 29, 2017, 12:09 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by evergrn
Wow, so many arcades in Odaiba.

There's also Tokyo Leisure Land right near the ferris wheel... the place is big and the games are cheap (100yen), but the place is dead and most are old-school games.
Helpful since I really want to see the androids and other bots at the Miraikan Museum in Odaiba.
Old Jul 29, 2017, 5:17 pm
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

Though it's in Kawasaki, this place might be a hoot for you.

It's not a terribly large arcade, but it's unique, and has the very first Street Fighter arcade game (which, IIRC, is actually called Fighting Street).
Old Jul 29, 2017, 5:46 pm

Programs: Platinum
My kids are really into rhythm games, including the Dance Dance Revolution series. They use this website for information https://zenius-i-vanisher.com/v5.2/arcades.php

I thank you guys in advance for updates and personal experiences 👍

Hope to return to Tokyo soon
Old Jul 30, 2017, 8:59 am
Suspended

Programs: AC
Many neat arcades right outside of the JR station at Akihabara. Just be careful of accidentally finding yourself at an Adult novelty toy store though
Old Jul 31, 2017, 12:26 pm

I'd definitly second going out of your way to go to the anata no warehouse arcade in Kawasaki, its really so much freaking fun, so well done, and like just a blast even if you're not playing games just cuz of how its built.
Old Jul 31, 2017, 3:07 pm

Originally Posted by frankmu
My kids are really into rhythm games, including the Dance Dance Revolution series. They use this website for information https://zenius-i-vanisher.com/v5.2/arcades.php

I thank you guys in advance for updates and personal experiences 👍

Hope to return to Tokyo soon
I'm getting too old and out of rhythm for DDR.
The last few times I was in Tokyo, they had these really nifty games that you just use hands instead of jumping around. It's almost like the old "Simon" game except it was fast and to music and sometimes required swiping instead of merely pressing buttons. I have to say that I was mesmerized by it - without breaking a sweat like with DDR.
Old Jul 31, 2017, 4:14 pm

Programs: Platinum
Originally Posted by OskiBear
I'm getting too old and out of rhythm for DDR.
The last few times I was in Tokyo, they had these really nifty games that you just use hands instead of jumping around. It's almost like the old "Simon" game except it was fast and to music and sometimes required swiping instead of merely pressing buttons. I have to say that I was mesmerized by it - without breaking a sweat like with DDR.
Was it Jubeat? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jubeat My boys love the game, there's an iPad version of it that they play.
Old Jul 31, 2017, 6:38 pm

It's actually "MaiMai" - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maimai_(video_game)

According to wikipedia, they have one at the Puente Hills Round One, which is down the street from my office...I know where I'll be heading for lunch in the near future!
Old Aug 1, 2017, 4:55 pm
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

I haven't had any luck finding an arcade filled with Beatmania machines...suggestions are appreciated~
Old Aug 1, 2017, 10:25 pm

Originally Posted by OskiBear
According to wikipedia, they have (maimai) at the Puente Hills Round One
Pretty sure it's no longer there.

Originally Posted by BuildingMyBento
I haven't had any luck finding an arcade filled with Beatmania machines...suggestions are appreciated~
Are you looking for 5-key, or beatmania IIDX? If IIDX, I'm told https://2dera.net/iidx_map/ is a good map.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.