Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Japan
Reload this Page >

Pasmo or Suica for Tokyo / Kyoto visit. Which is better and why?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 28, 2017, 8:34 am
Original Poster

Most travel guides mention that both Pasmo and Suica cards can be used on public transport. Absolutely zero mention any *practical* difference between the two. I'm taking a short trip to Tokyo with an overnight to Kyoto and, possibly, a day trip to Hakone. Which card, if any, is better for me and why?

Is one accepted more widely at "no credit card" non-transport points of sale? There's got to be some practical difference between the two, hasn't there? Which do you prefer and why?
Old Jul 28, 2017, 10:37 am

Programs: UA, NW
The rules keep changing, and I'm not entirely current on them. Both cards are valid in more places than they used to be.

Here's some current[?] information:

http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2359_003.html

Note, however, that neither one can be used on the Shinkansen between Tokyo and Kyoto.
Old Jul 28, 2017, 11:17 am

Programs: Free agent!
I've been using my Suica (Monorail, FWIW) that I purchased in 2011 for every trip to Japan since then without any issues and have travelled in Kyushu, Miyagi, Hokkaido, Kansai, Kanto and Tokyo. I use mine both for transport (always rail) and also for konbini purchases. For an upcoming trip to Iriomote, I doubt I'll be using my card

I am also curious if there is actually any difference between the cards.
Old Jul 28, 2017, 11:19 am

Programs: British Airways Gold
Practically speaking the only material difference is the card can only be refunded by the issuing company
Old Jul 28, 2017, 11:42 am

Location: exUA1K, UA MM, lifetime UA1P, AA MM, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
I chose Suica since I wasn't crazy about carrying a pink card.

I like that my name is printed on it!
Old Jul 28, 2017, 2:01 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ksandness
The rules keep changing, and I'm not entirely current on them. Both cards are valid in more places than they used to be.

Here's some current[?] information:

http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2359_003.html

Note, however, that neither one can be used on the Shinkansen between Tokyo and Kyoto.
Thanks to all who responded. Great link above. No worries about the Shinkansen as I have my JR Pass exchange voucher; unless you meant for on-board purchases made on that Shinkansen, like food and drink.
Old Jul 28, 2017, 2:10 pm
Original Poster

What are your favorite arcades in Tokyo and why?

<deleted; wrong thread>
Old Jul 28, 2017, 2:48 pm

Programs: AMEX AC CX UA AA DL
Originally Posted by moretimeoffguy
Is one accepted more widely at "no credit card" non-transport points of sale? There's got to be some practical difference between the two, hasn't there? Which do you prefer and why?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suica#...nection_en.svg
Old Jul 28, 2017, 3:08 pm

Programs: AA PLTPRO, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by roberto99
I chose Suica since I wasn't crazy about carrying a pink card.

I like that my name is printed on it!
Ha Ha - me too! I make sure to bring mine every trip and love that it's personalized. And who doesn't love penguins???
Old Jul 28, 2017, 4:07 pm

Programs: BA Gold. Kangorucci. NZGE.KLM Gold. VS gold
It is not about the penguin it is all about the watermelon....
Old Jul 28, 2017, 6:13 pm

I'm an idiot who gets Suica card then returns it at the end of each trip. I'm just afraid that it won't work when I return a few months later. I do the same with Octopus. We've discussed this elsewhere in this forum... it's irrational, I should just hang onto it. I just lack faith in these IC cards' durability, because hotel room cards crap out all the time.

Anyways, I always get Suica. Never Pasmo. I just think more people get Suica, even though there may ultimately not be too much difference. One definite merit of Suica is that you can accrue points when you pay with Suica. Places like Ito Yokado, Kinokuniya, and a lot of the businesses in the JR paid area of the station (eg, Ecute). Granted you don't really accrue much value through this program, and I'm not sure if there's an English website that walks you through the registration and redemption process. I don't think Pasmo has such program, although I could be wrong. Another benefit with Suica is that there're attractions that offer discounts to Suica holder. I just learned this the other day when I went to the Rainbow Pool at Tachikawa where the admission was 10-15% less just for showing Suica.
Old Jul 28, 2017, 6:40 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC
Suica.
Old Jul 28, 2017, 8:58 pm

I think it mostly boils down to whether you prefer Suica's cute penguin mascot or Pasmo's cute robot mascot. They're sold in different places, of course, so if you're in a subway station when you suddenly get the urge to buy a prepaid card, the Pasmo is more convenient because it's sold right there.

(Personally I use a Suica View card, which automatically refills itself so I never have to stop and add value to the card.)
Old Jul 29, 2017, 7:39 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Occasional RTW club
Originally Posted by moretimeoffguy
Most travel guides mention that both Pasmo and Suica cards can be used on public transport. Absolutely zero mention any *practical* difference between the two. I'm taking a short trip to Tokyo with an overnight to Kyoto and, possibly, a day trip to Hakone. Which card, if any, is better for me and why?

There are two differences between the two.

1. Pasmo can be refilled at subway stations (and subway stations only) with coins of as low as 10 yen denomination - Suica can only be refilled with 100 yen. So it's great for dumping your change.
2. Pasmo is not accepted in some locations further out. I've seen some places in like, Kyushuu, not accept Pasmo.

Other than that, I prefer ICOCA from Kansai anyway, because their indescribable mascot appeals far more to me. Also, the ICOCA card can be recharged by credit card (albeit only in the JR West machines).
yoganeck likes this.
Old Jul 29, 2017, 9:45 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Nexus
Originally Posted by Pseudo Nim
1. Pasmo can be refilled at subway stations (and subway stations only) with coins of as low as 10 yen denomination - Suica can only be refilled with 100 yen. So it's great for dumping your change.
I remember refilling my Suica with 10/50 yen coins last year at subway stations. Unless it has changed in the meantime.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.